Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2021, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default I brought this on myself... front suspension upgrade; QA1’s

My heart sank last night as I tried to install my QA1’s and nothing is fitting.
I’ve read over the other suspension posts, but didn’t see links to the parts. Can anyone confirm that these are the correct QA1’s? The specs look good to me. Apparently all I need to do now is cut down the top mount bracket from 3” and re-weld it at 0.5”. That I can do.

However, when that problem is sorted, I also have issues with the upper control arm: it’s contacting the frame/spring perch on its downward travel, I think the adjusters are too wide to clear. The originals kind of kicked out and bent back in. Are there specific UCA’s that are meant to work with these cars better than others? see picture...

Here are the parts I’m trying to make work.

LCA:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hdt-ca-102-m

UCA:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sps-94000

QA1’s:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-ms302-08375

I can modify the U bracket down to 1/2” and see how things fit.
I’m hoping you guys have some input. Thank you very much! I really don’t know where I’d be without the collective help of everyone on here.
Cheers
Michael
Alfa02 and shellman14315 like this.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These UCA’s look like they might clear better...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...g-ii/year/1977
Old 02-04-2021, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
These UCA’s look like they might clear better...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...g-ii/year/1977
Yes, those should probably clear. They come straight out from the cross-arm before bending toward the ball joint.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
My heart sank last night as I tried to install my QA1’s and nothing is fitting.
I’ve read over the other suspension posts, but didn’t see links to the parts. Can anyone confirm that these are the correct QA1’s? The specs look good to me. Apparently all I need to do now is cut down the top mount bracket from 3” and re-weld it at 0.5”. That I can do.

However, when that problem is sorted, I also have issues with the upper control arm: it’s contacting the frame/spring perch on its downward travel, I think the adjusters are too wide to clear. The originals kind of kicked out and bent back in. Are there specific UCA’s that are meant to work with these cars better than others? see picture...

Here are the parts I’m trying to make work.

LCA:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hdt-ca-102-m

UCA:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sps-94000

QA1’s:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-ms302-08375

I can modify the U bracket down to 1/2” and see how things fit.
I’m hoping you guys have some input. Thank you very much! I really don’t know where I’d be without the collective help of everyone on here.
Cheers
Michael

I seem to recall there's a longer version of the QA1 shock to fit the CR extended upper mount - but not in a Mustang II kit. QA1 technical support is quite good and can help you sort that out.

If you choose to keep your current shocks you can attach shock extenders to the threaded stud to provide additional length.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ze/3-8-x-24-in
shellman14315 likes this.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 02-04-2021 at 08:14 AM..
Old 02-04-2021, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink

Bryan: THANK YOU! You just saved me a ton of work. Shock Extenders!!! That’s brilliant.

I’ll see if I can return those UCA’s I got. Shipping back from Canada might not be worth it though.
Cheers!
You guys are awesome
Old 02-04-2021, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess this answers my which suspension use were using question I referred to. and screw in ball joints.

Last edited by 74proii; 02-04-2021 at 12:56 PM..
Old 02-04-2021, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stock MII are a 13.5/14" coil spring, aftermarket kits a re based on a 12" coil spring FYI. Also were your inner tie rods shortened 3/4" as described in the build manual? I was this because it will all come into play come alignment time.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Check your local ads like Craigslist. A while back there is a guy that was building and selling aluminum cobras (body/frame/suspension) over on the Island . I lost the link when my computer dies some time ago. Maybe some other guys might know/save some cash.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

great source, brake fitting/lines, lots of other goodies
https://chassisengineeringinc.com/pr...ke-accessories
Old 02-05-2021, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

74proii: Vancouver island?? That’s where I am! I took a quick peek online but didn’t see anything. I’ll have to dig deeper. That’s cool! Thank you!
Old 02-05-2021, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I wrote his phone down god only knows where. It has been a few years since I first saw it. i periodically look, but haven't seen it in awhile. Checked last night and noting. I thought you were Vancouver way, not Victoria. Guess I should've looked closer, was more concerned about the info.
Much better on the Island.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I love island life! Shawnigan Lake actually, if you know the area. I was in Victoria but headed up island to escape the thriving metropolis lol. There’s probably about 1000 people in the little town. It’s so peaceful.
Ya- if you ever come across that info again let me know. That would be neat to see.
You’re the best!
Old 02-09-2021, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update to the problem: I got off the QA1 tech support line, as a few people in recent weeks have run across the problems we have been discussing So putting it in speck form.

Mustang II stock coil spring like MOOG p/n 8556 The free height is 13.81 inches and the outside diameter is 4.68 inches. 364 lbs/inch spring rate. Vehicle curb weight of approximately: 2660 lbs | 1206.556 kg
As I recall, most CRii’s seem to be at or near 2280 lbs. ish
As far as single or double adjustable coil overs it mostly up to your choice. Depending on which spring height the overall assembly will look like pics most people are used to seeing, the other way the assembly looks more like a strut with the spring mostly towards the top.
QA1 recommends that for most of the “Cobra” guys either run the Ultra ride for best all round performance, or the Aluma Matic Series, not the Stocker Star series most people buy. The other factor of course, is the bushing size. Mustang II sock being the 7/16”, and most aftermarket being 1/2”.

So for the stock like MGM bought would’ve been the “MS302-0860” length should have been fine the longer variety sleeve being p/n a “401” for example a ultra would be “GS401” for single adjustable, “GD401” for dual adjustable.
Per their guide axle weight 1350 would be a 375lbs spring rate, 1350-1525 would be a 500 lbs spring rate, a 1526-1700 axle weight would be 600 lbs. It seems that the majority prefer a “350” lbs spring rate.
Stock coil over from “ms302-08600” kit : spring 7.88” compressed, 11” extended overall
“gs401” spring 8.63” compressed, 12.88” extended overall
(forgot p/n) spring 9.63” compressed, 14.5” extended overall
The 401 series should gain close to 1” in suspension overall height.

Sleeves: 7/16” (1 each) p/n 9035-143
Sleeves: 1/2” (1 each) p/n 9035-113
Snap rings common to both (1 each) p/n 9007-102

There are 10”’ springs available I believe the p’n’s are as follows I might have got them wrong, we talked a lot of numbers.
10” spring “10MB350” ?
8” spring *MB350”
If anyone has any different or other data, your input would be appreciated. Thanks again to “Tate” from QA1 tech support (extension "443”)
Old 02-10-2021, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you for the info! Once my replacement UCA’s arrive I’ll give an update on how they fit. I guessed and went with the 375 springs as most said their ride was too stiff. Got the Mr. Gasket shock extenders to add a few inches so I didn’t have to cut and re-weld the upper U brackets! Thank you to the fellow who told me about that!!!!! Also a thank you for letting me know about the speed bleeders for the brakes- grabbed some of those too. Genius!

One thing to note, which surprised me and I’ll mention this to QA1 when I have a chance: the lower 1/2” eyelet is 85mm in length. The corresponding opening on the LCA to mount it into is 83mm. Not sure if that mistake is QA1 or Heidts, but the parts don’t fit together without modification. Just 2mm per side to grind off, but not something you should have to do really. Not a huge deal, just found it odd and had me second guessing the parts I ordered were the correct ones.

Last edited by MGM; 02-10-2021 at 05:23 AM..
Old 02-27-2021, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

did you get the correct Upper control arms? What did you go with?
What lower control arms did you use?
What did you do about the QA1's? Did you use a longer shock/strut, use and extension,, did you cut/shorten/re-weld the upper shock mount on the car?
How has the geometry worked out?
Would any mustang ii spindle work?
I'm going to be assembling a CR and I'm going to need to figure out what parts I'm going to need to buy. there isn't any UCA included in the kit. I guess my options are to:

A) go coil over, get a set of UCA and LCA and eliminate the strut rod (I'm used to mopar, not sure if I'm using the correct termanology). My understanding from reading here is that factory or OEM Mustang ii front components are wider than the aftermarket, so I'm thinking the geometry of a factory lower wouldn't work with an aftermarket wouldn't work.
B) find an upper that would work with a factory lower (and clear the mounts), and use a factory strut. Not sure about parts though.

What are you doing about sway/stabilizer bar? The one I have with the kit is probably to big in diameter for the car and will cause a stiff ride.

Next I need to read up on the rear suspension upgrades, disk brake kits, and what pedal box to install (fire wall mount, floor mount, hydraulic vs cable clutch, master cyl options, accelerator options). I want to keep my fabrication to a minimum and hope to find components that will work without modifications or having to get custom built or modify them.

BTW I'm going for a fairly mild build. A 5.0 EFI from a 91 mustang, T5, and the 8.8 rear.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Im not quite finished- just waiting on the Wilwood kit, so I haven’t driven it to confirm everything works yet.
But these are the parts I used...

LCA; https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hdt-ca-102-m

UCA; https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sps-94800
* these seem a bit tight still. A non adjustable set might clear better. They seem to kick out a bit further and don’t have bulky adjuster nuts to cause clearance issues. Also the ball joint boot is a horrible design on this product. I wouldn’t recommend it on that alone. When installed it folds in half and it just does not seal properly. Re-installed it 4 times and I’m still not happy with it.

QA1’s; https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-ms302-08375
*I went with the extender- seems perfect but will know more after it’s on the road. This set allows you to keep the Mii design without modifications to the frame.

Spanners are NOT included; https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-t114w

Spindles; https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hdt-mp-028

Brakes; https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-140-10440-dr

I’m using the stock sway bar. Yes, it is an overkill. Other people on here have just removed it entirely. Most of a harsh ride however will come from a spring rate that is too high. So I’ll see how it drives first.

Please send me a message when you find out about rear suspension/brake upgrades. I have the 8.8 with drums right now and plan to upgrade that in the future.

Cheers!
Michael
Old 03-28-2021, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ford 302
Not Ranked     

interesting, my CCII does not have the upper hoop over the spring perch, I am trying to decide what to do as well as I may replace my current setup
Old 04-03-2021, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ford 302
Not Ranked     

What springs did you go with... I am going to try 8 inch and see
Old 04-03-2021, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycraft View Post
interesting, my CCII does not have the upper hoop over the spring perch, I am trying to decide what to do as well as I may replace my current setup
I'm not an expert in these, I'm doing my research as I'm building a CR II, but from what I've read when guys upgraded the front ends from the stamped OEM Mustang II front ends to an aftermarket tubular Mustang II front end, there is some difference, one being the use of a coil over strut/shock, which is shorter than the factory shock that the Mustang II and Pinto used, so, guys had to cut down that "hood" or square upper shock mount or they would run into problems.

Anyone with experience, please feel free to correct me or add
Old 04-03-2021, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

I have the QA1 double adjustables in a FFR. I have them installed upside down due to clearance issues. Hopefully this helps. GOOD LUCK