Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2021, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

They are in the box in the picture. Those will replace the rubber CR ones.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ford 302
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKahn View Post
They are in the box in the picture. Those will replace the rubber CR ones.
Let me know how they fit, that will be an upgrade
Old 10-25-2021, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They are an exact fit that I can tell. So far so good.

Last edited by RonKahn; 10-25-2021 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: duplicate
Old 10-25-2021, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

This is a great upgrade, the I-beam idea is too easy. There’s a post where Double Venom went from 2.3 to 1.7 sec 60 foot times with arm upgrade and bushings.
I’ve got the stock rubber Ford pick up spring eye bushings that DV mentions in the post, Moog SB344, for a softer ride. Let’s see if they fit
They are 1 5/8” od. After reading the 6 year tire rule the 30 year old bushings had to go
The Quad Shocks are a rubber bushing only thing. The 86 Mustang GT I pulled the driveline out of had factory Koni Q-Shocks the brackets are already on the rear end
I made the frame brackets, the new KYB Q-Shocks are high pressure gas always expanding hard to compress, stops the wheelhop

Last edited by sunman; 10-25-2021 at 03:17 PM..
Old 10-26-2021, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the response! I have not decided if I want to put the quad shocks on. I am to read that if I use urethane bushings along with a spherical control arm, wheel hop should not be a problem, at least I hope so. I have not purchased the wheels and tires yet. The question I have is this. Does the quad shock sit outside or inside the frame rail? I would assume the frame rail would limit the inner offset of the wheel for any additional deeper wheel, correct?. If the shock sticks outside the rail, then the wheel depth would also be limited. I don't want to waste the time welding in a frame to hold the other end of the shock if I have to get a narrower wheel. I want wide wheels, lol. Are you able to let me know if that is the case?

I will be sending the lowers to the powder coater very soon, and will put the bushings in (I had temporarily fit them). They are about a 16th of an inch short of meeting in the center of the bushing, but Energy told me that this should not be a problem. The center sleeve is exactly 3" wide to fit in the brackets and the bushings have lips on them that squeeze in the housing as well. Energy said that these are the perfect size for the hold I had to fill.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tires are 255/50/16 looks like lots of room.
Thanks for the I-beam idea, I’ve been procrastinating boxing the arms now I’m glad I waited
Attached Images

Last edited by sunman; 11-06-2021 at 12:21 PM..
Old 10-26-2021, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I received my Energy Suspension bushings today, boxing the rear arms will be the way to go, I also have the spherical upper arms with the spherical diff bushings, should be set up for a secure diff. I am running 295/50/15 tires and had to clearance the lock brackets to fit. (anyone need a set of the rubber bushings Moog SB344 never installed)
Old 10-27-2021, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What do you mean by clearance the lock brackets to fit?
Old 10-27-2021, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKahn View Post
What do you mean by clearance the lock brackets to fit?
there is a brace from the frame to where the door lock latch mounts, I had to trim it a bit. I will have to take pictures to show what I did.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What size rims and did you go more than the 4 1/2” backspace?

Last edited by sunman; 10-27-2021 at 10:29 PM..
Old 10-29-2021, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I dont think you were asking me, but I have not purchased them yet, and not until I have the rear suspension all in place.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will measure my backspacing one I start to modify.. thinking of knockoff adapters and new wheels too. just have to see where $$$ are.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What's the part number and specs (length compressed, extended) on the shocks ppl have used in their rear coil over conversion?

I'm using an LMR lower mount to connect it to the 8.8 rear and fabricating my own uppers based on a design I got from John (MaSnaka).

I want to order my parts asap, winters coming and I want to get building.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A Pro Shock part #ASB/SR5 A B58 P fits where the AVOs I have are, the stock shock location.
3 way rebound adjustable.
10” springs I’ve got 200# on these but 170#s came with RCC suspension.
13 1/2” ride height, 10 1/2” to 15 1/2” stroke.
The B58 stands for 5/8” spherical bearings you probably want B12 for 1/2”. Check that.
P stands for polished.
This is similar to what Classic Roadsters used and gives you an idea of what fits.
Attached Images

Roylerumble likes this.

Last edited by sunman; 11-06-2021 at 12:15 PM..
Old 11-07-2021, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman View Post
A Pro Shock part #ASB/SR5 A B58 P fits where the AVOs I have are, the stock shock location.
3 way rebound adjustable.
10” springs I’ve got 200# on these but 170#s came with RCC suspension.
13 1/2” ride height, 10 1/2” to 15 1/2” stroke.
The B58 stands for 5/8” spherical bearings you probably want B12 for 1/2”. Check that.
P stands for polished.
This is similar to what Classic Roadsters used and gives you an idea of what fits.
Hmmm. I already ordered my QA1's for the front. They don't have 10 1/2-15 1/2 according to their website. 10.125-14", 11.125-15", or 11.625-16.875". Also doesn't state if their 1/2" or 5/8" bearings/bushings. Have to chat with a tech during business hrs. Bearings is the way to go you think?
Old 11-07-2021, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

depends on your mounts, Sunman and I have different mounts and mine mount with a little more length. I went with brackets that are secured by 2 bolts to the frame and dual shear tabs for the shock mount. I do not trust the single frame mount, my current setup ( stock CRII) the top shock mount bent under a hard hit. I will have to straighten it before I mount my brackets. As far as bushings, I stayed with rubber for the shocks to try and dampen ride since I used spherical in the upper arms and poly in the lowers. Still in Vegas right now, but will start to update soon as I will be starting when I return.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycraft View Post
depends on your mounts, Sunman and I have different mounts and mine mount with a little more length. I went with brackets that are secured by 2 bolts to the frame and dual shear tabs for the shock mount. I do not trust the single frame mount, my current setup ( stock CRII) the top shock mount bent under a hard hit. I will have to straighten it before I mount my brackets. As far as bushings, I stayed with rubber for the shocks to try and dampen ride since I used spherical in the upper arms and poly in the lowers. Still in Vegas right now, but will start to update soon as I will be starting when I return.
I'm up in the air on bearing vs. bushing, but from what I've read is the bearing is a bit more forgiving in regards to aligning the mounts and deflection, but my assumption is that it will be a rougher ride, I'm not sure if my assumption is correct. I too feel the single mounting point is not as strong, and it isn't too much difficulty or added expense to go the route you are. LMR lowers mounts are only like $33 and are direct bolt on to the 8.8, the uppers will be cheap to make.

My plan was to install the CR lowers with upgraded bushings, a set of adjustable uppers, put my wheels on, block up my frame to my ride height, cut some tubing to the suggested length of the shock at ride height, and set my upper mount. Make sense?

What is the part number for your shocks and springs?
Old 11-07-2021, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

QA1 DS602 - QA1 Proma Star Coilover Shocks and Eibach 1400.250.0250S - Eibach Coilover Springs, check this site for upper mounts and see my first post for pictures. - https://www.outcastautoworks.com/col...r-mounting-kit
Old 11-07-2021, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, good question. I am almost done with the rear axle and ready to mount the upper coilover mounts. My question is the bottom mounts that anyone is using and then of course the same shock questions you had. I plan on QA1's.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycraft View Post
QA1 DS602 - QA1 Proma Star Coilover Shocks and Eibach 1400.250.0250S - Eibach Coilover Springs, check this site for upper mounts and see my first post for pictures. - https://www.outcastautoworks.com/col...r-mounting-kit
Those look much better to me than single shear mounts. I recognize there are some (perhaps many) running single shear mounts on their coilovers, but my preference would definitely be for double shear mounts.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 11-08-2021 at 09:16 AM..