Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2021, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aurora GRX
Not Ranked     
Default Life on the Dark side

For a potential new owner to the Cobra world. I want to ask a few questions from the collective wisdom:

1. Is it possible to have a small block engine like a 302 in a 427 body such as the Superformance Mk111?

2. Is the slabside a good call for a new owner who is not track-minded and just wants a bit of a cruiser?

3.Is there a preferred manufacturer for someone who is not looking to tinker with?
I have had several nice ars but are mostly in the exotics world. Yes, with many bells and whistles for safety etc so this is a huge consideration to go into a whole new reality.

Any and all input is extremely appreciated!

Blair
Old 10-15-2021, 11:43 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

1: Yes, many have a Windsor 302 or stroker version such as a 347. We have sold several MK IIIs that have the 8.2" deck block

2: The 289 is a very nice cruiser and in fact is my personal choice. I have had my Superformance MK II 289 street roadster (hate the "slabside" name, nothing flat about it!) and it one car I will not part with until I take the dirt nap. We currently have a very nice low mile 289 on consignment, 347 with five speed, all options and many upgrades for well less than current replacement cost.

We would be pleased to provide you with any information you would like, info@timemachinesauto.com
1985 CCX likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-15-2021, 12:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

SPF Slabside 289 is hard to beat.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

A small body 289 car will be much more streetable than a 427. The 427 wants to run at a higher RPM and always felt like it wanted to have the cobwebs blown out. In most town driving I kept the RPMs higher and the engine happier by staying in 3rd or 4th when speeds allowed. 5th (a TKO600) was reserved for cruising on the freeway.

Your choice of slabside or FIA is based on body style preference.

Re: 3.Is there a preferred manufacturer for someone who is not looking to tinker with?

Well, if that is a criteria look for something like a Corvette. If you're looking for something that you drive on weekends and put away and never look at until your next drive for 5000 miles at a crack, look elsewhere. There's no such thing as a tinker proof Cobra.
Chupee likes this.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

There is no functional difference between the slab side and the 427 body styles. They essentially use the same chassis. I think the 427 body looks the best, and makes a fine cruiser.

As for nbo tinkering, it depends on what you mean by that. My car has a Coyote engine, using the stock computer. Nothing radical or trick about it - except the blower, of course. I just push the button and drive it. Change the oil ever fall/winter.

It's not tinker proof, though. I'm always messing around with it for one reason or another.
letsboogie351 and Chupee like this.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 10-15-2021, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
I'm beginning to agree with you!!!!!
Old 10-15-2021, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
There is no functional difference between the slab side and the 427 body styles. They essentially use the same chassis. I think the 427 body looks the best, and makes a fine cruiser.

As for nbo tinkering, it depends on what you mean by that. My car has a Coyote engine, using the stock computer. Nothing radical or trick about it - except the blower, of course. I just push the button and drive it. Change the oil ever fall/winter.

It's not tinker proof, though. I'm always messing around with it for one reason or another.
I am stuck between the 289 and the MK111 roadster, no pipes and no scoop......

thx
Old 10-15-2021, 04:34 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

My $.03 I've owned both 289 Street (I've heard people use the term "Slabside", but I agree Mark IV, nothing Slab about it) and a 427 Street (With side pipes, and real 427S/O) but no roll-bars, Stripes, etc. I loved both for completely different reason's. In Fact I just brought another wide-body with a 347SBF/5-speed, we'll try a SBF in a wide-body car this time. But I believe my "Last One" will a 289FIA bodied Cobra, I believe that's the happy medium between the two. Cheers TommyRot.
Cobrakeith likes this.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupee View Post

thx
There is precedence for a 289 in the MKIII big block car. After Shelby and Ford bailed on the Cobra program, AC who built the actual cars, started making a car they called the AC289. It was a MKIII with a 289, without sidepipes, or hood scoop, and no rollbar. They were sold in the UK as righthand drive and in the US as lefthand drive. A lot of the European racecar drivers, considered these to be the best handling of all the Cobra's! They also had AC badges front and back, but many have had Cobra badges added to the front. You would definitely stand out in a sea of SC Cobra's!
Old 10-16-2021, 04:20 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Bob,

Just a minor correction, as the "Street" side SPF uses a round tube frame and different suspension setup vs the square tube, coil over chassis for the SPF 427 body style.

Bill S.
Harpoon PV2 and Chupee like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-16-2021, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Truly come to the Dark Side and put a GM LS engine it. It’s just better on the Dark Side!!!
Chupee likes this.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Potential candidate

As I begin to view the wide range of options I stumble on this car. Curious if there are any obvious deal breakers on a car of this nature.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...bra-mrkii-fia/

thanks for any tips!

BLair
Old 10-16-2021, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks pretty sweet.
Only two items i can see the the lower pedal-box cover is peeling indicating it has/had a brake or clutch fluid leak. Same issue for the R/rear tire sidewall discoloration. Could be old and already corrected.
Not what I'd call a deal breaker.

The 8 stack EFI is a great addition to the drivability.

Another thing that is well thought out is in the grill opening there are two small LED turn indicator lamps. Since the Driving lights block the opposite turn signal indicator at an oblique angle as viewed from someone at a 4-way intersection.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
The AC 289 with a small block ford or Chevy (as from the factory) is hard to beat!
Chupee likes this.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupee View Post

thx
What a great place to be "stuck" ..... a 289 roadster and a MkIII roadster
Attached Images

Alfa02 likes this.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
What a great place to be "stuck" ..... a 289 roadster and a MkIII roadster
The top photo is an early 260ci car, no one makes a replica of that version! You can tell by the lack of side vents, and the winged Shelby AC Cobra badges, front and back. You could take a late model 289 kit and do some surgery to it, Would make a cool car! And yes, I have thought about it. Maybe a Herbie Hancock, white with red interior and 2bbl carb, tribute car?
Chupee likes this.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon PV2 View Post
The top photo is an early 260ci car, no one makes a replica of that version! ....
You are correct. It's CSX2048.
I'd be happy to have - or build - a replica of that car

Cheers,
Glen
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:08 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

@Chupee, nothing I see would stop me from bidding, except the final price. 911r cars command higher prices on BaT because of they ads, which are very well done, and the driving of the Portland "Stig". Doesn't make it a better car though. I would say 100K+ to buy this Superformance 289 FIA. Cheers TommyRot
HealeyRick and Chupee like this.

Last edited by Alfa02; 10-17-2021 at 09:00 PM..
Old 10-17-2021, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So true, I see that same test drive every day almost! Funny STIG.......thx much.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:13 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

We have a very nice Superformance MK II 289 car on consignment. Well less than $100K and has California SB100. Currently at our facility. 347 with 5 speed and all the options. Grigio Silverstone with tan leather/black carpets.

info@timemachinesauto.com
Attached Images

mrmustang and Chupee like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Last edited by Mark IV; 10-18-2021 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: added