17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     
Default Hurricane HMS2002 build thread part II

I have given this some thought and there are a few distinct phases to building one of theses cars. The first phase for me and my friends at Hurricane was to build the roller. At this point the car is basically a turn key minus. I wanted to show some of the cool things they offer in addition to the base kit so in Part II I am going to do all the option installs. I am doing the fresh air vents, brake ducting, faux wiring harness, racing seat, sway bars, visors and wind wings, etc..

Here is a link to the first part of the build Hurricane HMS2002 build thread

Here is what the car looks like at this stage in the build. The racing seat isn't mounted permanently, its just sitting in there.

Last edited by dlampe; 05-16-2010 at 07:06 AM..
Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

Engine bay looks awfully lonely
Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Looks good Dean!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice Dean. I love that profile shot!
Larry
Old 05-17-2010, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

very nice
SDR
________
Marijuana seeds

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:29 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

I've been working on the racing seat. It was a pretty straight forward install. The only problem I ran into was that I couldn't reach the pedals. I could reach them but I wasn't as close to them as I should be to operate the car safely so I put in a set of sliders.

I marked and drilled the holes in the vintage Kirkey seat.

I installed the sliders and bolted on the front riser. It didn't take long to fabricate the mounts.

All done!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlampe View Post
I've been working on the racing seat. It was a pretty straight forward install. The only problem I ran into was that I couldn't reach the pedals. I could reach them but I wasn't as close to them as I should be to operate the car safely so I put in a set of sliders.
Dean, just curious - how tall are you? I'm 5'7" and concerned about reaching the pedals. I sat in Jshel1's HM1038 and was quite comfy. John's about my same height.

Also, if the new cars use the lowered footboxes, are the brake and clutch arms shorter, so the foot pad is closer to the floor?

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I'm almost 6'3! The racing seat affords the driver much more room than the traditional seat. You should be fine with the regular seat and some pedal adjustment. It is rare that a car can accommodate such a wide range of driver.

Anyway back to the show!!

I added the heat shield for the brake master cylinders.

I am working on the secret compartment under the floor to store my whiskey and my pistol. Or maybe my registration and my insurance card.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Whiskey AND pistol... interesting!
Larry
Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Isn't that heat shield on the brakes a little thick? Seems like it will as much like a heat sink as a heat shield.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think the master cylinders are in any danger from heat. I will have to wait and see exactly where the pipes go. There will be a lot of air flow and it could be directed under the shield. I never thought about the heat sink idea but it would certainly be easy to switch to a thinner material. Thanks for the input.

The floor on the Hurricane is an interesting piece. I didn't want the glove box and this answers the question about where to store stuff.

Here is the foot box. It looks normal enough. (I just noticed the sharp edge of the door hinge that I will need to trim.)

This is how it goes together.

Here is the finished compartment.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Muy bueno!!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

If you have trouble with the edges coming up on you from moving your feet around, maybe a bit of velcro would be in order along the edges...
Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looking good Dean. That will be another fine looking car.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302 powerdyne supercharged
Not Ranked     

So what is that compartment exactly for? Insurance info, etc? Looks like a smugglers dream compartment to me. Is it accessible while your in the drivers seat? Is that an option or is it standard equipment?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The compartment is intended to be used as a "glove box". I can be access from the driver seat and I'm not sure if it is standard but I know they will do it for you if you ask. It was an after thought. When I saw the available space, I asked them to create access to it for my stuff.

I painted the under side of the body black last night. No real good pictures but it had to be done. I should have done that before the body was put on! You can see some of it in the fender well and the engine compartment.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Dean,

Really great detail, love browsing through this build.

A couple questions:

Do you think the new placement of the master cylinders will be in harm's way?
Seems like they could catch a lot of road debris and stuff coming off the front tire.

I did not see the front sway bar in the engine compartment photos, is that still to come? You tease you!

Regards,

Evan
HM1103 (First Gen, Aging gracefully in the garage)
Old 05-20-2010, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I think Dean will keep his Cobra stealing weapon in there...
Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am still on vacation with the family This week but it is hard to stay away from Club Cobra! There is NO service near the Grand Canyon but I found a little in Utah.

To answer some questions, the sway bars are next on the list. It is a super easy install but I haven't done it yet. The brake masters have a steel lower guard. I can take some pictures when I get back.

Back to our regularly scheduled program......

I have been working on the brake ducting and the fresh air system. The first thing I did was install the brake duct fitting and screen in the front end. (this was before I painted the underneath black)

I used this 2 part adhesive from Eastwood. This stuff is really useful to have around. It isn't cheap but it really works well.

This is where I ran into problems. The Goodyear billboards are really big tires and as I was mocking up the brake ducts, I found that the tires hit the hose. I was going to have to run the hose up high then back down to the spindle and I really didn't like that idea so I had to step away and think about it.

I decided to work on the fresh air system instead. That should be an easy little project, right? Well I realized that I needed to finish the inner fender panels before I could do the fresh air system. That was a little bit bigger deal. But that is how it goes sometimes. The templates from the old Hurricane company didn't really fit so Hurricane created new templates and sent them down to me and you can see the difference. They fit great! These guys are so easy to work with.

That's it for now, headed to Bryce Canyon!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are some shots of the brake ducting at the rotor. They bolt right up to an existing hole on the spindle. I think they are going to work fine but a final test when the car is on the ground will tell for sure.

Some high heat black paint will finish them off!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: