Not Ranked     

Looking great Dean!
Larry
Old 06-22-2010, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I bet the engine is sitting just outside the camera shot?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Not quite Gary. I went to get it on Saturday and we had a problem with the block. There was a casting issue with the dizzy placement. It knocked 11 teeth off of the dist. gear and we could only find 9 so we had to take things apart again to find the missing pieces. We didn't have oil in it yet so it was just a matter of removing the pan and fixing the block. The pond block is nice but it has had it's issues.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Unlucky now but lucky in the long run. Better to find a flaw now with the new engine out, never having been cranked, vs later having to pull it and have more damage.

Last edited by jdean; 06-22-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Old 06-29-2010, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Well, I've been working hard to get the car ready for the engine install. I think everything is ready to go. I have tried to think of everything to do in the engine compartment before the engine goes in. Here is the last shot you will see with out something in this hole!

I remembered to put the headers in the engine bay the first time! Don't ask.

Here is the new 482 pond engine with a Richmond road race 5 speed. It doesn't really look like it will fit!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I hope at the end of this great build we get a youtube video?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Beware, the clearance between the driver's valve cover and the Girling cans is going to be in Millimeters going in.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Beware, the clearance between the driver's valve cover and the Girling cans is going to be in Millimeters going in.
Would pulling the cover off before dropping the engine make sense?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1015
Not Ranked     

That's the coolest skateboard I have ever seen.

Ken
HM1015
Old 06-29-2010, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Would pulling the cover off before dropping the engine make sense?
Yes, or detach the cans and move them around above the header because they will likely interfere. I installed my engine before mounting the body and I can say that I do not envy Dean in trying to wedge that wedge into that hole. No doubt Dean has all the bases covered.....
Old 06-29-2010, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Its all about having a very experienced team of professionals to help you. I brought in the A-team for this job. And the best part is they didn't drink all my beer!

I think a youtube video is in order but not one of those "first starts" that are really the second or third starts. I want to video the actual first start, better or worse.

To take parts off the car or engine would have been to easy! Here we go, the perfect union of a big block ford to small European sports car.

UP, UP, UP, UP.....

They have a lot of experience. This was 4 years ago. man where does the time go! Dylan(drivers side maroon shirt) is 2 inches taller than his mother and wears a size 11 shoe now!

Last edited by dlampe; 06-29-2010 at 07:36 PM..
Old 06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX6363
Not Ranked     

I've used a lot of things to support a transmission, but that is the first time I've seen a skateboard used.....I wish I had of thought!

This build has been a great education for me. I've been thinking about building a 427 car for years and now I've added Hurricane to my "short list".
Old 06-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR DAYTONA COUPE 302 COBRA FE STOCK
Not Ranked     

Dean:
You lovely Bride needs some "Bling" to properly operate that engine lift, according to the "War Department" (Jackie)..BTW...I'm kinda getting bored with this almost 5 page blog because I've got more important sh!t to deal with like "Pluggin" da Ho!" Headed for Road America to kick luvdablues butt on lap times...hehehe. Best wishes from my friends who hang out at Wallys in Breeze.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well you are a stud. My team bytched and moaned, drank all my beer and then to add insult to injury we broke my wife's finger. That debacle cost me an entire set of new leather living room furniture. I could've had Webers and aluminum heads for what that cost.

Beautiful family.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

Next time you do a motor install, can I send my wife around to help so she can see that she isn't the only woman in the world who gets asked to get her nails a bit dirty?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraxsg View Post
Next time you do a motor install, can I send my wife around to help so she can see that she isn't the only woman in the world who gets asked to get her nails a bit dirty?
Just tell your wife that plenty of our wifes help with engines, trans, etc. My wife has become a pro at easing the engine down while I make all the alighnments. We have pulled my 427 in less than an hour and stuck it back in less than 2 hours. By the way my wife is about 5'2 and somewhat petit but it is not the braun I need it is just that extra hand or set of eyes most times. I don't think she has ever got any real oil or grease on her hands but give me a little more time to break something else.

It seems like when I need the help all my buds are out of town or working on their own projects trying to make the same deadline I am. Wifes are pretty special even if they never get a spot of oil or grease on them. I wouldn't trade mine for anything since we have each other trained for our different needs.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-30-2010, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I remember when I replaced a small block 388 Chevy with a small block 430 Chevy in my dirt late model. All I talked about while the 430 was being built was how much better the “big” motor would be. My wife helped install it and at one point she said maybe this “bigger” motor is too big and won’t fit. We then discussed cubic inches.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 879, Indigo Blue / Wimbledon White, 428 Cobrajet, TKO 500
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlampe View Post
I remembered to put the headers in the engine bay the first time! Don't ask.
I don't have to ask, I fondly remember our install on my BDR a few months ago and I even have it on film .

Please tell me you fit the headers to the engine block before dropping in the engine bay.

In any case, the engine looks awesome and congrats on a first class build!!

Last edited by BDR879; 06-30-2010 at 03:56 PM..
Old 06-30-2010, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Nice family project! I can't get my wife to even ride in one anymore let alone help me install an engine.

Lookin good Dean!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Back to our regularly scheduled program..........

Here is a picture of the engine in the bay. It is real tight but fits nicely if you know what I mean. It will look a lot better when the rest of the engine parts are added.

The engine isn't all the way down on the drivers side. I drilled the motor mount and put a bolt through it to control the torque movement of the engine but the bolt is hitting the frame. I will change it tommorrow. I guess we go to plan "B"

Last edited by dlampe; 06-30-2010 at 09:16 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: