Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i just replaced one of my steering columns because of issues it had and issues i had with it, and went to the longer 35"er. if you haven't purchased yours you might want to consider this.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

What issue did you have with the shorter steering column? Did it place some of the controls too close to the dash itself? What is the length of the one you took out? Mark I don't suppose you have a good rack and penion lying around do you? NON POWER. I noticed on my Cobra the boots are cracked and they need to be replaced. I may opt for a different ration steering R&P.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

clois, i do have two brand new rack and pinions sitting in the shop. one is the quick i think 16-1 and the other 18ish-1, not sure, but they are both quicker than the jbl which is 20ish-1. i cut a little thread off one end of each rack, prob. 1/2" or less. let me know if you want one.

the shorter column puts the wheel too far out for me, i like the wheel a little closer and the controls on this one were too close to the cowling, but i think the previous owner might have had something to do with that in his modification. the replaced column was not turning well, so i took it out and found a piece of gear inside, not good, and i couldn't get into the column far enough to find out where it came from, probably the tilt mechanism. plus not fitting well so i just replaced it which i was wanting to do someday anyway. i think the length i took out was a 32". the new one turns soooo much better.

also, i would suggest a good steering wheel adapter hookup, this one i am replacing also as there is a lot of play in it. the car drives very precise with no rubber in the front.

here are the vids mat, i don't know the setup but the dailey pump has the seperator i believe.

Video of V8 oil return on standard pump - YouTube

Video of V8 oil test with Dailey pump - YouTube

bill told me the oil recirculates every 15-18 seconds in the tank btw.

Last edited by vector1; 12-12-2012 at 06:56 AM..
Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL/Goins Motorsports
Not Ranked     
Default Steering Column

Here is a photo of the Flaming River steering column we use in all of our cars now. Also attached a photo of the windshield pattern getting ready to be shipped out for new tooling. Here is our facebook page were there are weekly updates of the tooling and build process.
https://www.facebook.com/JBL.Goins.Motorsports
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2012, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

with that new steering setup you could almost put a sprocket on the back and let the passenger drive, let the other guy work the brakes & gas... partner motorsports--who wouldn't go to the track to watch that?

so a custom piece of glass! nice!!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey larry, did you have to move mat's engine forward to miss the a-arm bracket with the inlet or is it in the same position as mine would be?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL/Goins Motorsports
Not Ranked     
Default Dry Sump Oil lines

Mark, everything fit good. Mat's system seemed to have all the inlets and outlets in the right place. Very clean installation.
Larry
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i must have been the odd man out then, i had a little conflict. bill has another inlet that comes off the pump 30 degrees instead of the 45 with a fitting that goes straight back, i think i might opt out for this. here is a pic with the air/oil seperator, knew it was going to be close and took a bit of grinding to make it fit, but looks good otherwise.

looks like mat's car is coming along, i think he is wanting to fire it up!
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I think it is time for some more up to date pictures. I know what is being made this week and I hope Mat or Larry will post some pictures. I think the next set of pictures are going to rock everyones world. So to speak!

Dashing thru the snow...

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
i must have been the odd man out then, i had a little conflict.
If that is the Biele car the problem you are having is probably due to the mounts. Dave made his own and did move the engine a bit relative to the JBL designed mounts. Not sure why he did this but I am sure he had a good reason relative to his build.

Plus he did own a machine shop and just liked to make things....

Richard Hudgins
Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar, 427 Center Oiler
Not Ranked     

Hey, Mark. Looks like my engine is approx 1" forward of yours with respect to the pump and a arm mounting point. Looks like you got it taken car of though. I'm going out to Larry's today. Hopefully the rear half of the chassis is about done. I think axles should be in today. Still needs a driveshaft hoop. A fuel fuel filter still needs to be added, but thats small stuff. I'm hopeful the front goes relatively quickly. Just need to install shocks, upper a arms, brakes, radiator and its a go cart!

Mat
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hudgins View Post
If that is the Biele car the problem you are having is probably due to the mounts. Dave made his own and did move the engine a bit relative to the JBL designed mounts. Not sure why he did this but I am sure he had a good reason relative to his build.

Plus he did own a machine shop and just liked to make things....
he did some nice work. i just updated to a 2 axis vise on the drill press so a whole new world has opened up, i can see where someone can get carried away.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

mat, you are probably already set but if you need any firesleeve or misc. stuff i suggest the aircraft surplus/supply house. i am now hunting -16 stuff and scored pretty good at a local place. would be nice if a guy had a place central to a lot of tracks, a quick trip, chipotle, and a/c surplus close by.

i still have to figure out what i am going to do with the scavenge line, through a cooler, straight to the tank, etc. dailey is sending the new pump part that i will replace, he gave me the 5 minute/5 mile guarantee, and he said i was well past that on sending the pump back, so i get to operate.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Luckily, my -16 stainless lines are really no where close to exhaust since all the headers go over the rails. I might need some small stuff for plug wires. And we do have lots of aircraft stores around. Might be fun to check out one of those places.

Mat
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

went through there again today, they sell a whole cow hide for $135 if you want to do any leather work, and they have 2200 of them!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's some more pics of the body on the frame. Larry is currently fabing up radiator mount. I think it looks great in the pics. Its a very tidy fit. He also raised the body in relation to the chassis about 1.25". This does several things. It should make fitting an air cleaner relatively easy with out increasing the size of the bubble on the hood. Thats pretty cool considering I'm running a Victor Jr manifold. It also gives me more head room in the cockpit. I'm 6' 3" and will have pleny of room for a helmet. He probably won't have to modify the seat at all to get me more head room. I'd say most people 6'4" should fit comfortably in this car. I'm not sure other Daytona Coupes can accomodate that height. Lastly, it gives the wheels in the wheel well a good look. Currenty ride height of the chassis is 5-3/4". I'll easily be able to lower the ride height 1/2-1" to give it an even lower slung look. If I really go crazy I can lower 2+" for track events. On to the pictures

Here's a good pic of the radiator. It will of course be boxed in and shrouded to force all the air coming thru the radiator to go out of the hole in the hood.

More pics of the body from various angles.

Let me know what other angles/areas of pictures you'd like to see and I'll see what I can do.

Mat
Old 01-01-2013, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

pretty good mat. i sent you an email. you might want to integrate an air foil in front of the exit for the radiator, i believe they did that way back when.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, all the air passing thru the radiator will be channeled out of the hood opening directly in front of/over top the upper control arms. The engine bay should actually be very well sealed with respect to getting a lot of air turbulance trapped in there since all the radiator air will go out the top and but belly pan will keep air out from the underside. I'm sure we'll come up with some side vents like most coupes and maybe some vents in the hood as well on either side of the bubble. I believe Richard is recommending vents over the front wheels as well to let out that hi press air that gets trapped in there. Not sure on that one yet

Mat
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll try to get more pics and post next week. Radiator should be plumbed today and dash might be molded next week. Any suggestion for a brushed aluminum dash inserts. I'm guessing its not that difficult to do the brushing on your own?? Windshield should be ready next week too.

Mat
Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, I really just wanted to bring this back TTT. Here's a few more pics.

Jordan Shifter

Mat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: