Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   Ross ERA 427 SC build (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/140696-ross-era-427-sc-build.html)

patrickt 02-21-2021 05:17 PM

It's all down hill from here.:cool:

CCKW353 02-21-2021 05:20 PM

Ha, right.... I hope!

xb-60 02-22-2021 02:52 AM

Excellent pictures and advice, Patrick (as always :3DSMILE:) and also good advice from Dan. I have made notes for my imminent engine/flywheel/clutch/Toploader assembly (my engine is a Windsor [for FIA] but comments are applicable for mine as well)

Cheers!
Glen

CCKW353 05-08-2021 06:49 AM

829 is back and shifting nice. The interior is back in, the doors are back. The hood is painted now and will be installed at the end of the month once the hood scope is riveted on. Doing my shake down cruise to work out the little bugs that are creeping up here and there.

CCKW353 05-08-2021 06:55 AM

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=19602

CCKW353 05-08-2021 06:59 AM

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=19604

CCKW353 05-08-2021 07:04 AM

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=19605

DanEC 05-08-2021 08:42 AM

Looks great. Well done!

CCKW353 05-08-2021 08:57 AM

Thanks Dan, the final stuff seems to be the hardest. Haha...

xb-60 05-10-2021 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanEC (Post 1492676)
Looks great. Well done!

x2 from me too. Great colour, no stripes ....perfect!

Cheers,
Glen

1985 CCX 05-10-2021 05:33 AM

x3 from me..... :cool:

cadtdi 05-12-2021 10:09 AM

Very nice!

That color looks fantastic! Natural light really brightens it up.

1966 Sapphire Blue...I will have to remember that color, very nice!

.chris

Grubby 05-12-2021 03:09 PM

755 didn't need a spacer. The manual says most cars won't need it.

John

patrickt 05-12-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubby (Post 1492794)
755 didn't need a spacer. The manual says most cars won't need it.

Uhhh, only the limited edition, ultra-high performance ERA cars require the spacer.:cool:

xb-60 05-12-2021 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1492795)
Uhhh, only the limited edition, ultra-high performance ERA cars require the spacer.:cool:

I thought the spacer was for short drivers ;)

CCKW353 05-13-2021 08:34 AM

I didn’t end up needing the spacer for mine.

cycleguy55 05-13-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1492805)
I thought the spacer was for short drivers ;)

No, short drivers use pedal blocks.

patrickt 05-13-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1492830)
No, short drivers use pedal blocks.

Naaah, special driving shoes.:cool:

http://38.134.118.239/shoe001.jpg

CCKW353 06-13-2021 10:03 AM

Another update. #829 is just about done. The hood will be installed once I can get the car over to the body shop. The Cobra gods keep raining on my plans. I now have about 72 miles on it while doing short runs to check for and solve any issues that came up. The most annoying was the motor would misfire over 4000 RPMs but ran super below that....With the help of some members from here and my mechanic friend, it was finally figured out. I did all tests I read about and were suggested to me. After finding nothing, I turned to my mechanic friend and dropped off the car for him to solve. He checked everything and then came across the issue... low voltage issue. I am using a PerTronix ignition, their epoxy coil and a ballast resistor they note should be used with this ignition. Well, once he found out it was a low voltage issue, he wired things according per perTronix if one has a low voltage issue.... on test drive after that he said he climbed nicely to 5500 rpms and backed off while noting not one misfire.

Blackbart 06-13-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCKW353 (Post 1493910)
Another update. #829 is just about done. The hood will be installed once I can get the car over to the body shop. The Cobra gods keep raining on my plans. I now have about 72 miles on it while doing short runs to check for and solve any issues that came up. The most annoying was the motor would misfire over 4000 RPMs but ran super below that....With the help of some members from here and my mechanic friend, it was finally figured out. I did all tests I read about and were suggested to me. After finding nothing, I turned to my mechanic friend and dropped off the car for him to solve. He checked everything and then came across the issue... low voltage issue. I am using a PerTronix ignition, their epoxy coil and a ballast resistor they note should be used with this ignition. Well, once he found out it was a low voltage issue, he wired things according per perTronix if one has a low voltage issue.... on test drive after that he said he climbed nicely to 5500 rpms and backed off while noting not one misfire.

Rob,
I just read through the entire build thread for #829. Very interesting and informative to say the least.
I bought #804 in August of 2020 from the original owner who had done an amazing job (much like you have done) on the car. It was well sorted and turnkey, ready for the road. The car was completed in 2014 and had just over 3600 miles on it when I purchased it. It took until mid-October of 2020 to get the car registered in NY as NY would not accept the CT registration.
I basically had to start from scratch as far as getting an NY VIN. This included a tow to a state approved weigh station, a tow to Albany NY for a fraud/stolen car inspection where every receipt was scrutinized for authenticity and finally a tow to a safety inspection facility. Obviously, the car passed everything in no small part to the original owner’s meticulous record keeping. Had I not had all those records this could have turned out to be a disaster. Oh, I forgot, in NY you must deal with two different agencies within the DMV operations. The fraud/stolen car division inspection passed the car and gave me the documents to provide to the registration division however they indicated the car should be titled as a 1966 ERA replica Cobra. It was written by them right on the form I had to give to the registration people. Well, the registration people said, “Oh no, we can’t accept that form, the form MUST say the car is a 2020 Custom.” They said I had to go back to the fraud/stolen car people and have them correct the form. I did this and got the rolled eyeballs look from them as if oh no, not this again. They fixed the form and I was all set.
NY required a few things that CT apparently did not and vice versa. I had to make foam “socks” to go over the visors, (NY requires padded visors), I had to add a back up light and I had to have all DOT number stamped parking, turn and brake light lenses and I also had to have functional 4-way flashers.
So, since October of 2020 we’ve been using the car as much as possible, weather permitting and looking forward to adding many fun miles in the future.
Hope we can meet up as some point and compare notes…
Gary