Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   Ross ERA 427 SC build (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/140696-ross-era-427-sc-build.html)

CCKW353 09-28-2019 04:50 AM

The car is home. Now the fun begins. Stopped by my painter to get a final quote and he was impressed and the quality of the fiberglass in addition to the thickness. Going to paint it 1966 Ford Sapphire Blue. Most likely dropping it off to start the paint job at the end of Dec / beginning of Jan.

CCKW353 11-22-2019 09:13 AM

I have started to do some tinker and have removed my dash to run the wiring harness. When you have done yours, what did you fasten the harness to after connecting the wires up?

steeler85048 11-22-2019 10:51 AM

Cost

After looking at your initial post was just curious what the total was for the kit from ERA as listed was minus the wheels, tires and drivetrain?

When I did my build, I kept two different cost totals. One personally, for me and one for my other half %/

Thanks,
Philip

DanEC 11-22-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCKW353 (Post 1468926)
I have started to do some tinker and have removed my dash to run the wiring harness. When you have done yours, what did you fasten the harness to after connecting the wires up?

I found some strips of 1" wide double sided Velcro that wraps back and fastens on itself to secure the wiring in bundles or strap it to anything I could find behind the dash. It works well since unlike plastic wire ties it's easy to remove if needed or to make adjustments later. I ran the wiring so that the main bundles for the instrument and switch wiring fell in the gutter of the lower dash panel brace - didn't really find a need to doing a lot of strapping of the harness as ERA custom fabricates it to fit the car and not a lot of excess wire length to deal with.

It's worth spending a couple of hours to sit down with the harness and the electrical manual section that shows the circuit locations in all the major plug ends and make sure the wires (going by color coding) have all been terminated in the plug ends in the correct place. These are the big plugs where the harness comes through the firewall from the engine bay. These are hand assembled harnesses so it's not unusual that a wire accidently gets inserted in the wrong plug socket location. Or you might find a wire terminal that isn't locked securely in the plug and backs out when the plug ends are mated up. I had two wires reversed in mine that I found after getting the car started and having to trace wiring harnesses and plug terminations in the assembled car is not a lot of fun.

CCKW353 11-23-2019 09:51 AM

Thanks, that is a good idea!

RockBit 11-24-2019 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't check ERA's wiring of the plugs but fortunately did not have any problems there. Be careful when you add the block connector to the rear wiring in the drivers footbox. I somehow wired mine as a mirror image of what it should have been, and every time I turned the key to on I blew a fuse. I figured out what was happening and rewired the connector correctly, then all was good.

After I installed the dash and plugged everything together, I had Sheila zip tie all the wiring in place (she is smaller than me). I don't know what she tied things to, but nothing is visible!

CCKW353 11-24-2019 03:57 PM

Ha, I use my wife to help in wiring things since my hands can’t get into small spots. Did some wiring today and will spend next weekend tracing things to make sure all is good etc.

Gaz64 11-25-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockBit (Post 1468995)
I didn't check ERA's wiring of the plugs but fortunately did not have any problems there. Be careful when you add the block connector to the rear wiring in the drivers footbox. I somehow wired mine as a mirror image of what it should have been, and every time I turned the key to on I blew a fuse. I figured out what was happening and rewired the connector correctly, then all was good.

After I installed the dash and plugged everything together, I had Sheila zip tie all the wiring in place (she is smaller than me). I don't know what she tied things to, but nothing is visible!

I have been lying under dashes many times, and that contributed to my lower back injury, so please be careful.

I also like your instrument layout, all in easy view for the driver.

Gary

1795 11-26-2019 03:49 AM

Twice on my race car my wife and others have taken a picture of me upside down in the driver's seat with my feet straight up pouting to the sky working on something in the foot well. God awful place to get into and out of with the steering wheel in the way. Started removing the steering wheel after the last session.

CCKW353 11-27-2019 12:01 PM

I opted for the quick disconnect wheel at the last minute. Worth it to me since It makes things a lot easier, quicker to get to....

CCKW353 12-06-2019 08:06 AM

Does anyone who has an ERA 427 have a puke tank mounted on the firewall? I will be installing mine and so I figuring out where to relocate things that they mount where is would go.

CCKW353 12-07-2019 06:39 AM

Brent is posting build photos on Instagram so if you want to see photos of my engine build, follow him. Look up “brentlykinsmotorsport”

Rob

CCKW353 03-07-2020 07:03 AM

The car has been at the body shop getting ready for the paint work so I hope to have it back in a few months. The engine is a short block right now and once the heads are back, the final build will start.

patrickt 03-07-2020 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCKW353 (Post 1473010)
The car has been at the body shop getting ready for the paint work so I hope to have it back in a few months. The engine is a short block right now and once the heads are back, the final build will start.

Alright, I remember you sent your deposit in back in February of 2018. So we're looking at a good two and a half years or more on this build. For the benefit of other guys who might be considering this, was there anything you could have done to have sped this along a little bit?:confused:

CCKW353 03-07-2020 07:49 AM

Hi Patrick,

Correct Feb 2018 and the car came home Sept 2019. The body shop was the delay since they were busy finishing other stuff so my car had to wait until this past Feb. So maybe not having it painted by someone local to ERA could have delayed me a little but from what I have read and guys have told me, usually having it painted near ERA would add 6 or so months before pickup/ delivery.... seems like I am still around the same finish time. I can’t win for losing....haha. A good thing is the body shop I am using has done a lot of work for me and is only a mile away. My hope is to have it on the road by late summer. So all in it might be 2 yrs and 6 or 7 months for me. Seems about the norm.... just about 3 yrs.

CCKW353 03-07-2020 07:50 AM

I did give the body shop some disposable cameras and they are taking photographs along the way so I can at least document that work. (Yes, they still sell disposable cameras but boy they were hard to find)

patrickt 03-07-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCKW353 (Post 1473015)
(Yes, they still sell disposable cameras but boy they were hard to find)

That's because everybody disposed of them.:cool:

CCKW353 03-07-2020 01:44 PM

So true! Ha

CCKW353 04-04-2020 06:48 AM

Body update: The body shop is working away and focused who is great. The car is almost done in terms of blocking, etc to get it ready for primer and paint. Once the finish the paint work, they will then do the carpet and trunk work. Decide to have them do it since I am stuck working crazy hours.

Engine update: Brent is working away on the finally assembly of the 427 SO and hopefully will be doing a dyno test soon.

So if the 427 gods are smiling on me, I might have all the stuff home by sometime in May. I would just need to install the trans, motor and do the finish work to get it ready for a road test.

CCKW353 04-09-2020 06:53 PM

Motor is done and potentially ships next week. Getting closer!