Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #829, Ford 427
Not Ranked     

thanks for the inf.... hmmmm, based on that I guess I am looking at late 2019! Does anyone know once you do get a chassis number, how long does it take for the build - minus the trip to the painter?
Old 04-04-2018, 08:48 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrumpley View Post
No chassis number yet, my deposit wast sent to ERA in early October so hopefully I will be getting the number fairly soon. I'm still gathering parts, but haven't started rebuilding the engine or differential yet.
Well you've been on this board for 14 years, so you'd think you'd be ready.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKW353 View Post
thanks for the inf.... hmmmm, based on that I guess I am looking at late 2019! Does anyone know once you do get a chassis number, how long does it take for the build - minus the trip to the painter?
How long it takes depends on how many cars they have to finish ahead of you. Seems like it's typically about a year, plus or minus a bit. As for the chassis number, I visited ERA shortly after my chassis came back from powder coating and they had just put the chassis number plate on it, so you would likely have a number by then. I would guess they assign a chassis number once you put a deposit in and they create a build file. Oh, and something you'll read over and over in multiple threads - it's well worth the wait!

Kevin
Old 04-04-2018, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #828
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well you've been on this board for 14 years, so you'd think you'd be ready.
Ha! This will be ERA #2 for me, but the first that I've ordered. Between rebuilding my flooded house and a little abdominal surgery, the Cobra has been on the back burner, besides the parts orders. Hopefully I will be able to finally get my hands dirty in the next few weeks...
Old 04-04-2018, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Thanks, Peter had said a year or so and I am going with that.... waiting will be easy since the months will fly by. I will probably be scrambling to get things ready for delivery even though I have "time" right now. Ha!
Old 04-04-2018, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Based on reports from others who are waiting for their cars it's about 2 years now.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been watching... I am getting my paint work done locally so maybe that will be to my advantage.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Based on reports from others who are waiting for their cars it's about 2 years now.
As much as I love ERA cars, two years is getting painful....
Old 04-05-2018, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Correction - I sent my deposit in early November, not October. Talked to Peter yesterday and told him that I would like to visit ERA to finalize details before they got going on mine.
He said that based on looking at the schedule, they won't be starting on mine in the next eight weeks. Not sure if that means that they will be starting in week nine, but it does feel like they'll get started with the body & chassis in June or July.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cool. I don't live to far and have been there before (1994!) when my friend picked up his ride. I would like to visit some friends in NH soon and might use this trip as an excuse to stop by and see Peter.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a great plan!

Does that oil cooler have a thermostat? If it were my build I'd put one in to allow the oil to reach operating temperature as quickly as possible.

Just my $0.02.
66gtk likes this.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Sounds like a great plan!

Does that oil cooler have a thermostat? If it were my build I'd put one in to allow the oil to reach operating temperature as quickly as possible.

Just my $0.02.
Good idea...Or, I installed an oil cooler because the empty cowling wouldn't look good, but I didn't hook it up. Ran the lines to each side of the radiator and capped them off where they can't be seen. I can always hook it up if I want to but my oil temp rarely hits 90 C (194 F) so definitely not needed for street driving, even in summer weather.

Kevin
Morris and cycleguy55 like this.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is my 6 month marker since placing my deposit. Sitting and researching away on things.. Brent is busy searching out the motor parts and such for the 427 Side Oiler build and I am getting those little things I want to add to it during my finish build. Still not sure on the color yet... I do like the behind the seat battery set up Craig has done. Has any one else waiting on an ERA build move ahead recently with having to give another deposit or getting a delivery?
Old 08-18-2018, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

Sent my deposit to ERA early June '17 for an FIA. May 3, I was told they would be starting my body soon with chassis soon after that. July 5, they said they would start on the body in about 6 weeks, but they were further behind on chassis builds. I am so glad I have SC 649 to drive in while I wait!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

I sent my deposit in November, 2016. I got a number about a year later (it's been so long it's a blur). My chassis was done in March, 2018. My body was mounted in June, 2018. I don't bother to ask when it will be done. Peter did mention that the shop was very busy right now, and there are several cars going to Big B's for paint in the next few weeks.

So, yeah, 2 years is about right.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 08-20-2018 at 09:46 AM..
Old 08-18-2018, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My car is 828. The body is done, but I don’t think they’ve started the chassis yet.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for info guys. So they make the body before the chassis? For you two other guys, what are your chassis numbers?
Old 08-19-2018, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

I placed my initial deposit for an ERA slabside (#3018) in April, 2017. Just got notified chassis is on the jig, and the body is already done. Sent second deposit last Friday. Given the powder coating, body bonding, ship out for paint, and assembly of the rest of the ERA installed parts, I expect to have it in my garage by the end of the year, with the rest up to me. So, from first deposit to expected delivery, about 20 months or so. And that's assuming no glitches along the way, or a bottleneck at the paint booth. Could easily stretch out to two years. But in my case, I don't care about the wait.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKW353 View Post
Thanks for info guys. So they make the body before the chassis? For you two other guys, what are your chassis numbers?
Mine is 824.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

When they built my car in 2015/2016, the chassis was ready first and they were behind on the bodies. It sounds like that is now reversed.

My car took 14 months plus paint time. It sounds like it is now taking longer. I guess Peter favors a backlog over adding personnel.