S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2020, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Mike,

I've seen Mando's engine, and the Morrison cross-ram setup is a work of art!

Cheers,
Glen
ERA 626 likes this.

Last edited by xb-60; 03-04-2020 at 11:55 PM..
Old 03-06-2020, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mando s View Post
Mike,
it took a lot of work to get it running properly.
The car always had a habit of hunting, especially when going around roundabouts not accelerating, and when trying to stick to one speed.
If you were accelerating it wasn't a problem.
First issue is that I bought a MSD alternator which starts charging at around 1600 RPM.
The tuner told me the alternator had to start charging from idle and up through the rev range for him to be able to tune the car properly.
The alternator in the pictures is the new one which is a Ford unit.
It looks like an easy swap but it took a lot of work.

The other thing the tuner wanted was to replace the wheel the accelerator cable attaches to with one that was a snail shape.
It was a hell of a job to get the design of the snail right, which was a little know how and some luck. Once made, I can't begin to tell you how hard it was to adapt the new wheel to the existing cradle with stops in new positions.
The purpose of this new wheel was ... I hope you understand what I'm trying to describe ... is that for around the first third of depressing the pedal the linkages would travel less than with the original wheel thus reducing the hunting.
After that first third of travel the wheel and the linkages would return to their original relationship.
After installing the new wheel, the accelerator cable was shortened by approximately 1 inch or 25 mm.
It still hunts a little sometimes but it has improved by 90% from where I started.

I don't know if I'm right, but I put my problem down to the Morrison Injection really being for "racing" and not so much for street.

I don't know a lot about cars, but when I saw the Morrison cross ram injection, I liked the look and bought it.
I never thought it would be so much trouble to

make the distributor post
set up the crank trigger
because the crank trigger adjustment was on the right hand side of the motor I made the triangle bracket to take the alternator on the left hand side adapting the bolt points to the water pump.
I made a vacuum block and installed it near the firewall with pick ups under each runner, running back to the vacuum block. You can see the runners in one of the pictures.
Any one of this issues wouldn't have been a problem but it just seemed like it was one thing after another.
I don't think I would have had any where the same work if I had bought a regular 8 stack system.

Regards Mando.
well, time will tell as I am in month 10 of waiting for a manifold... I have a good friend of mine who has designed and tuned a few of morrisions manifolds. With out him I would have done an 8 stack for sure. I have already wired the car for EFI via a megasquirt. We will be designing the entire motor around the morrision cross ram, the porting of the heads the cam profile to make it tune able (from what I am being told.) this will be the only FE morrision Cross ram in existence. I am very much looking forward to it. My friend has one in his Pantera and I need to say it is very impressive.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mando s View Post
Mike,
it took a lot of work to get it running properly.
The car always had a habit of hunting, especially when going around roundabouts not accelerating, and when trying to stick to one speed.
If you were accelerating it wasn't a problem.
First issue is that I bought a MSD alternator which starts charging at around 1600 RPM.
The tuner told me the alternator had to start charging from idle and up through the rev range for him to be able to tune the car properly.
The alternator in the pictures is the new one which is a Ford unit.
It looks like an easy swap but it took a lot of work.

The other thing the tuner wanted was to replace the wheel the accelerator cable attaches to with one that was a snail shape.
It was a hell of a job to get the design of the snail right, which was a little know how and some luck. Once made, I can't begin to tell you how hard it was to adapt the new wheel to the existing cradle with stops in new positions.
The purpose of this new wheel was ... I hope you understand what I'm trying to describe ... is that for around the first third of depressing the pedal the linkages would travel less than with the original wheel thus reducing the hunting.
After that first third of travel the wheel and the linkages would return to their original relationship.
After installing the new wheel, the accelerator cable was shortened by approximately 1 inch or 25 mm.
It still hunts a little sometimes but it has improved by 90% from where I started.

I don't know if I'm right, but I put my problem down to the Morrison Injection really being for "racing" and not so much for street.

I don't know a lot about cars, but when I saw the Morrison cross ram injection, I liked the look and bought it.
I never thought it would be so much trouble to

make the distributor post
set up the crank trigger
because the crank trigger adjustment was on the right hand side of the motor I made the triangle bracket to take the alternator on the left hand side adapting the bolt points to the water pump.
I made a vacuum block and installed it near the firewall with pick ups under each runner, running back to the vacuum block. You can see the runners in one of the pictures.
Any one of this issues wouldn't have been a problem but it just seemed like it was one thing after another.
I don't think I would have had any where the same work if I had bought a regular 8 stack system.

Regards Mando.
what is the reason for the vacuum block? is that the black can on your fire wall?
Old 04-02-2020, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I needed to re work myheaders to work with the correct motor placement. After several tweeks, they Fit!!!
Attached Images

CJ428CJ and 1985 CCX like this.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK so the motor build begins, this will be a 482.
Blueprint the crank shaft, Start measuring the lifter bores, the cylinder bores. etc.
Attached Images

CJ428CJ and 1985 CCX like this.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

more photos
Attached Images

Mongoose930 likes this.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

That block is a work of art !
Old 04-10-2020, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yes Bill Denbeste does a great job...But they are BIG $$$$
Old 04-15-2020, 12:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Hi Mike,

Just read through your build log, looks like a wonderful build and you are putting together one impressive CSX. Your experience with your ERA and fabrication skills will really help with this project. The Bill Denbeste collection was quite impressive, especially the wall of Cobras. I will follow your project with great interest.

- Tim
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ordered pistons, started the head porting process, We will get 11.25/1 compression ratio. Neil the guy helping me with my build has 45 years experience building FEs. He is teaching me. Also delivered all my exhaust components to the ceramic coating shop in Belmont CA, he is about 3 weeks out...
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2020, 05:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4xxx, Alum. Shelby 427 w/ Webers,
Not Ranked     

ERA 626. In your post #.26. It shows your plaque just north of the shifter.
Having restored my CSX4000 and I Have yet to reinstalled the plaque.

what is the measurement from the shifter base bensel to the plaque?

I like the look of your placement of the plaque in your CSX...... you’re car looks great,

Well done!!!

Thanks,
Old 05-09-2020, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Mike, the pictures look great. They tell the story!
I look forward to the updates.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-14-2020, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
ERA 626. In your post #.26. It shows your plaque just north of the shifter.
Having restored my CSX4000 and I Have yet to reinstalled the plaque.

what is the measurement from the shifter base bensel to the plaque?

I like the look of your placement of the plaque in your CSX...... you’re car looks great,

Well done!!!

Thanks,
I had not decided on the placement of the plaque, its just sitting there in the photo. I ended up installing it on the dash...
Old 05-19-2020, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You might know this already, but take all the sharp edges off, combustion chamber and top of pistons.
Gary

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 05-20-2020, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We are making a custom alternator/pulley set up for CSX 6079, The black material in the photo is peg board material for a mock up. We are trying to get Jones to make this for us, as they have not made one for an FE. If I cant find some one to make this bracket I may Lean on David Kirkham to make me one with his wonderfull water jet. The final version will be billet aluminum. I also will order a denso style alternator, the cheap Power master is for mock up only....
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2020, 12:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra FF5/BBM 482
Not Ranked     

any pictures of the cross ram yet? Just curious, have you seen the cross ram jay brown is making on fe power forum?
Old 05-21-2020, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

I'm interested in the small block with the Gurney Westlake heads, what it the story with that engine?
Old 05-22-2020, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The gurney westlake motor is going into a GT eventually, but for now its on a home made bad ass run stand going into a man cave.
Attached Images

jolsen42, AndrewB and vntgspd like this.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by feadam View Post
any pictures of the cross ram yet? Just curious, have you seen the cross ram jay brown is making on fe power forum?
no I have not... please send me a link.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
The gurney westlake motor is going into a GT eventually, but for now its on a home made bad ass run stand going into a man cave.
Oh my, that is erotic! Just beautiful.

John O