Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi how do I post something on here
Old 11-01-2023, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Finished all the fab work on the tank, hardlines are done and finished extending the frame bulkhead fittings so i can run the lines under the floor. I also finished the access hole in the bottom panel.
I have a couple things left to do, paint the tank, make the wiring harness and design/3d print fuel line clamps.
Cant wait to get all this installed, i will be able to mount the rear suspension and get it down on the tires. Hopefully engine and trans will be going in before Christmas. It would be an awesome present to hear it fire for the first time!
Attached Images

Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Jason,
Do you have any updates on the progress of the body work.... particularly the CSX2472 'lookalike' flares?

Cheers!
Glen
Old 11-08-2023, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry not yet, been working on making it a roller, then i can start adding the flares. I need to get it on the ground with tires so i can make sure the flares cover the tires properly. I got the flares from Mr Bruce which is going to save me a lot of time making them from scratch. Hopefully that process can start in december.
Old 11-25-2023, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Alright, been a little bit on updates but have made a good bit of progress. Got the tank all finished up, Cerakoted and installed. j3D printed a vent hose holder and installed. Cerakoted the transmission and bellhousing. Rear suspension installed and wiring about 75% complete. Going to get the tires on order so I can finish off making it a roller and look to get this thing in for paint hopefully start of year. The rear tires stick out a good bit but will look good once the fender flares are molded on. Can't wait!
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2023, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Also got the handbrake installed. I switched out the mechanical oil pressure gauge for an electric one as well. If anyone needs a new SW mechanical oil pressure gauge let me know.
Attached Images

1985 CCX and Harpoon PV2 like this.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Avon tires on order. Roger Kraus Racing has them in stock.....low supply. Get them while you can.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Looks like you may have to add to the backspace on those wheels?
that way they will set inside the arch. No?
Old 11-27-2023, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am adding fender flares. I wanted to get the tires and get it on the ground so I know how wide the flares need to be.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 482ci sideoiler
Not Ranked     

Jason, I've been following your Cobra build, very impressed with the quality of your workmanship! I look forward to seeing the finished product. You appear to be very knowledgable, so if what I'm about to say is something you're aware of, maybe someone else will benefit from the advise. I see you just made an expensive tire purchase. Tires have a shelf life, care and storage practices effect the life span and how often you will have to make that purchase. Our high performance cars will test the boundaries of the best tires in optimal condition. You don't want to be driving on tires past the safe limit. Should your build get delayed for any reason and during the off season, practicing proper tire storage will prolong the useable life of the tires. I'm no tire aficionado, with that said, the following video link has some good advise.
https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervie...87&FORM=SPSCRV
Old 11-27-2023, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Era174 much apprecited. Absolutely great advice. I have a gen 2 viper that i run toyo r888's and the same process applies. Race tires have a certain number of heat cycles in them and dont like to be stored for long periods of time, the rubber gets hard and lose performance rapidly. I am hoping to have the car road worthy in the next 6 months and plan to compete in the upcoming autocross season
Also talking with Roger Krause, the avons are going to be extremely difficult to get for the next year, at least until production starts back up.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA:289 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Looking good Jason!
Old 11-30-2023, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm very interested to see what you run into running a return fuel line, as it's something I'm going to tackle as well. Seems like there's plenty of room, no?

Any reason you committed to the in-tank fuel pump? great solution and well executed, but I feel like I'd rather change out five inline pumps over going through all the fab hassle...
Old 11-30-2023, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I went with the intake pump because it is a surge tank system. I plan to autocross aad do other racing events and dont want to deal with fuel starvation issues. The fuel system i am uaing is actually 2 pumps, a liftpump that feeds the surge tank and a surge tank pump that feeds the engine.
If you are wanting a return line i suggest getting that done while the chassis is being built, there is NO room for snything. I have to drill through the frame and use custom bulkhead fittings for the feed/return. I am sure there are other ways to do it but this seemed the most logical way to do it to me.
Old 12-04-2023, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Got the Avons in and mounted. Test fit them on the car. I was not prepared for how beefy the tires look, its incredible. If you ever wondered what the difference in width looks like between a slabside and a FIA car, this is it.
Also a little compare between a viper 335 and these Avon 295's..look dang near the same. Once the fender flares are graffed on this thing is going to look like a monster. I love it!
Attached Images

Buzz, 1985 CCX and Harpoon PV2 like this.

Last edited by jasond29; 12-04-2023 at 12:05 PM..
Old 12-17-2023, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Got excited and was going to stab the engine and transmission in but ran into a snag. I got the clutch installed, bellhousing mounted and went to put on my poly engine mounts....they dont fit. They interfere with the block pretty bad, tried to clearance them to fit but there was just no way. I ended up fabing up my own mounts and used the poly bushings from the other mounts. Got 1 done need to finish up the other side and paint them. Hopefully by end of day tomorrow I can have the mounts done and install the engine and trans.
Attached Images

Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you ever wanted to know what a gasser cobra would look like, here is your chance...lol Definatly going to have to trim down the stacks. Pretty tight fit with the jones accessory drive. I am going to have to modify the alternator bracket a little to make it work but not a big deal. Things are startng to really come together.
Next step is order all the stainless tubing so I can start making the headers. That should be fun.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2024, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Its been a little while since my last update. Havent done a lot really, I trimmed down the intake horns to fit under the hood, had to take 2" out of each but gives me plenty of clearance. I also test fit the le mans top, it fits pretty dang good. I need to trim a little out on the wheel well humps but figured I would have to do that. The top is molded on an FIA and I have a slabside so the humps are a little more inboard.
I will say, sitting in it with the top on.....cramped is an understatement. I thought my Viper had a cramped cockpit, this takes that to another level. I am 6'2 230 and sitting in it I feel like I am the car.
I also got my steering wheel from Peter (ERA) and it looks incredible. I have been talking with Jason Snyder and hopefully it will be off to him in the coming months to get paint and the flares grafted on. I need to nail down a color, thinking either Toyota Army green or a deep blue. Going to have a red/white/blue strip down the center and roundels.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2024, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Also ordered all the part I need for my headers from Burns Stainless. Should arrive next week and I can begin building those.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

got the top closer to fitting, just a little more massaging and it will fit like a glove. Also started building the headers.
Attached Images

Alfa02, rustyrims and Harpoon PV2 like this.