10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2003, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 351W, Wilwoods, 17" PS Eng w/Michelin Pilot Sports, Race Bilsteins
Not Ranked     

In my quest to find the ultimate AC Replica about 6 years ago, I visited the best manufacturers I could find in both the US and the UK. At first, I didn't even consider an SPF since I had built two mid-year Corvettes from the frame up. I wanted the experience of building my car. The car that I had dreamed of since youth. I was about to write my check for a $10k deposit to my first choice kit company, then at that moment, just before getting out my checkbook, the owner of company remarked that he was suprised that I had not even considered an SPF or had never seen one. Well, I had to be in Asheville, NC the following Monday. So, I hesitated and did not write that check. I found the same family atmosphere at the Olthoff's in NC that I had enjoyed up to this point at the kit company of choice. I found a very knowledgable group of people with a passion for these cars, especially if you would consider a Windsor engine. And, I had already made the decision to use a Windsor anyway. I felt that for the money spent, it would be difficult to create the same quality in fit and finish that I could get from SPF. Perhaps, that was due to my own personal mechanical abilities, but to me it was a prime consideration. I did not buy a car on the first visit. I went back at least two mores before making my down payment. And, luckily, I had a car in about a month. At times, I regret not having the experience of building my own car. However, I have modified my car to improve the braking and handling extensively. Thus, I have received a tremendous amount of satisfaction from doing this work myself. Overall, I am very pleased with my SPF, I am really satisfied with my the dealer, Olthoff Racing, Inc., and third, Superformance as a company has been first rate and backed the cars to the nth degree.

Buying a rolling chassis is not for everyone. If you want the experience of building the car yourself, then go for the ERA. It is a very fine replica produced by great people. But, if you want to enjoy the experience and want a very exacting replica, then go to Superformance. Neither one is a bad choice. I don't think you can categorize buyers of either car into sterotypes. We "all" fit that sterotype. I know Superformance owners that are from all walks of life, had all kinds of cars, and all, repeat all, wanted that experience of driving a ledgend. Nothing compares.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Hey! What does ERA stand for??
Old 09-11-2003, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 351W, Wilwoods, 17" PS Eng w/Michelin Pilot Sports, Race Bilsteins
Not Ranked     

ERA stand for?

Quality Replica Cars.............

naw...they really are high quality, but, I think it stands for

Era Replica Automobiles.... as least at one point in time it did and I'm sure it still does.... see http://www.erareplicas.com
Old 09-12-2003, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     

My pocket protector is twitching.

ERA ::= ERA "Replica" "Automobiles" ;

Uhoh, Left recursive grammar.

eliminating left recursion it should be:

ERA ::= { ERA , "Replica" "Automobiles" } ;

Jim
Old 09-12-2003, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I really appreciate all the input. Its also good to know I'm not the only nut loosing sleep over a car, nevermind a car I don't even own yet. We plan on visiting ERA again Saturday!!!
Thanks again
Old 09-12-2003, 07:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Viola

Its also good to know I'm not the only nut loosing sleep over a car, nevermind a car I don't even own yet.
Thanks again
That's no joke. I seriously lost sleep for a week before I made my final decision, but haven't lost a wink since. And if you think you're losing sleep now, just wait until you are trying to decide on a paint color.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 09-12-2003, 08:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Chaplin:
Only lost about two weeks sleep over the paint color but have spent the last month worrying about the stripezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
DonC
Old 09-12-2003, 08:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don-
My car is already painted and I'm still worrying about the stripes (have none right now). Might add them later? Or not, who knows

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 10-01-2003, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1676
Not Ranked     

Joe, Have just bought my SPF and haveing a 427 stroker (351w gone to 4.185 by4in). Dont forget to consider the TIME required to build a car. I went with the Superformance because of the quality of the car and the time required to build a car. The SPF offered more bang for the buck vs any other kit I looked at.
Both the SPF and ERA cars a very nice, but I just didnt have the time or space reqired to build the car, I just wanted to install my engine and drive!!!!!!!

Sean
Richmond, RI

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html
Old 10-01-2003, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

The number of cars for sale in the used market (one brand over another) is more of an indication of how many more there are, rather than how many people are unhappy with the car.

ERA after 20 some years have reached somewhere around 700 mark. Many are NOT for sale and probably be kept in the family many years to come.

I know SPF owners will probably not take this too kindly, but on the desirability list ERA may nudge the competition.

One because there are fewer ERA's for sale, and because they are more accurate and they are more expensive. SO when one becomes available for sale it brings the price within striking range of a SPF.

Most would opt for a used ERA over a new SPF.Market says so. You can always order a SPF and get it within short time of placing your order. Used ERA's are not that readily available.

Why? I don't know, best ask those who made the decision.
I have been on this forum for 3 years, I have no recollection of anyone trading in their ERA to buy an SPF.

What does that mean? We can all speculate.

It doesn't make one car better or worse, it just places them in some sort of a pecking order. I realize this is not very popular to say in public but it is true.

Lest you think it is a slam, in fairness to SPF, I also know of no one who sold their SPF so they can trade up to an FFR.

So there is a pecking order out there whether we like it or not as to how our personal cars rank.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Turk,

Well put!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Brave, too.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No Pat,
What you did last week was brave. Tell the boys all about it.

TURK
Old 10-01-2003, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Not likely.

I am lucky to be alive and I don't even have a running car!
Old 10-02-2003, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

I may be wrong but didnt James Baldwin sell an ERA and buy an SPF?
Turk, I agree with you. The ERA is handmade, piece by piece. The SPF runs off an assembly line. I wanted an ERA..bad, when I was looking. I talked to the shop on many occasions, but the year wait was too much. In the end, the used SPF appealed to me more. The engine was built by a pro, consistency of build, consistency of quality, and a clean title made the difference....OH ,and I got the car in 5 days.
One day I think I will own an ERA, or an SPF Coupe, but I will try to never put a dime in Shelbys pocket. I just dont agree with his tactics or ethics.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BlueRooster-
If my memory is correct (and I'm sure James Baldwin will correct me if I'm wrong), I think James had an ERA, then bought an SPF for his wife, at which time they became a two cobra family. Thereafter, he sold both the ERA and the SPF and currently has ordered another ERA.

BTW, you should come out for breakfast saturday. Just strap the kid in and go

Old 10-02-2003, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

I think you are right Chap. JBs situation was the closest I could remember though.

If I ever got pulled over with a childseat strapped to a 5 point harness, the cops and my wife would have field day.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In the past couple of weeks I think I'm going with ERA. I plan to lay down the cash in November. My next decision is the motor. I want this car to handle like nothing else. Should I focus on keeping the front end light vs. originality.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great discussion ! What a pleasant dilemma to be in .
Old 10-02-2003, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joe,
The discussion on the lighter engines vs. boat anchors (some like to refer to them as) have been done. I bet you could start another one and get similar responses.

There are some die-hards on both camps. Those who race will tell you they prefer a light weight 351 over a heavier FE big Block.
I am not a racer and have not been in a position to appreciate such weight savings and ultimate in nimbleness a lighter engine can provide.

My kind a driving requires a heavier weighted front end. I don't like the front end of the car getting lighter at higher speeds I may occasionally find myself at. Twice in three years, but I like the heavier front end and the additional steering it afforded me.
TURK