Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Joe-
I agree with Turk. All depends upon your intended use. For every day or even "spirited" street driving, I think you'll find that the car handles better than anything you're used to driving, even with a BB. If you are really concerned about handling and are intending on doing a lot of racing, let me throw out two options for you. 1. Have you considered an FIA? Great looking cars, not many of them and they are supposed to come with a small block so no one can tell you that "it's not correct". 2. Depending on your budget, you could get a new aluminum FE, which probably weighs the same (or less?) that a iron blocked windsor based stroker.

Something else to think about; I think ERA has compared the weights of an iron blocked FE with all aluminum accessories, i.e., heads, waterpump, manifold, pulleys, etc., and found it to be within 75lbs of a small block. If you search ERA's website you can find the exact number.

Bottom line, figure out what you want to do with the car and get what makes you happy.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 10-03-2003, 07:34 AM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

You guys stop getting me in trouble!!! When my wife reads this, she is reminded that I sold her car!! We bought the SPF at a good price to where we knew that Jeannie could drive it in our Annual Texas cruise event and still sell it without taking a big beating.

Chap is correct. I loved my ERA and the experience I had building it. It took quite a while to get it but was very gradifying once it was completed. So much so, that I deceided to sell the ERA to build another one.

They are both great cars with their own unique qualities. I liked different things about each one and of course, had things that I would change on each.... BUT that was only subjective, personal tastes, for the items I would change on each car. You can't go wrong with either car.

One thing I can tell you... The ERA had a Shelby BB and the SPF had a crate 351. I could tell no difference in the nose weight while turning but I certainly would go with more power than a 385hp 351. A stroker 418 or BB aluminum motor will make you very happy.

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...

Last edited by James Baldwin; 10-03-2003 at 07:37 AM..
Old 10-03-2003, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

James,
Are you getting another ERA??
I think your last ERA is the nicest car I have seen.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

WOW! THANKS! That means alot!

Though I do have another ERA on order (going on 6 months now). I have also ordered a couple of different cars. I will hopefully have one of the two sold before the ERA arrives mid-to-late next year. Since I am buying everything in 2s or 3s, I am getting small price breaks (not the ERA) so the prices will be pretty good.

I figure that I can finish/build 1-2 cars a year as a hobby to keep me occupied and out of trouble. And as long as I don't lose money on them, the wife is OK with it, plus it makes a good legit tax writeoff.

I figure, if I can sell a new car for less than someone can build it themselves and still make a small amount, eveyone's happy. For me, there is nothing like the excitement of the day the car arrives and then the day it leaves to someone who liked the way I built it enough to buy it. Weird huh?

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...

Last edited by James Baldwin; 10-03-2003 at 08:55 AM..
Old 10-03-2003, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Viola

In the past couple of weeks I think I'm going with ERA. I plan to lay down the cash in November. My next decision is the motor. I want this car to handle like nothing else. Should I focus on keeping the front end light vs. originality.
Hi Joe:
Since you live so close to ERA, it makes wonderful sense to do business with them all other things being equal. That is the reason I drive an ERA, I live along the coast in Connecticut.

I wonder what you mean by keeping the front end light? Are you saying that you are not going to put a Big Block in the 427 or are you saying you are leaning towards the 289 FIA?

The ERA 289 FIA is a real nice car. I have seen a few done as street cars with wire wheels, under car exhaust and no rollbar with full bumpers, etc. Quite a nice car indeed and a very very good performer. I do not know this for a fact, but I would suspect that the 427 S/C is the more in demand car at ERA and that the mold queue for the FIA is shorter. Perhaps you could be into an FIA quicker.

That said, I do wonder what you mean by keeping the front end light. Sure the BB in the 427 feels heavy when the you try to turn the front wheels when the car is standing still. But, the darn thing is like liquid mercury on the turns when moving. My S/C has a mild 428 FE in it. The only downside of the 428 is the cockpit heat on days over 85 when you are at a standstill. The upside is the nice toasty feeling on cool spring/autum evenings. No need for the heater! Wasted weight in the 427 S/C IMHO.

Upside of the BB in the S/C aside from being "correct" is the power and torque. It is very hard for me to get out of 2nd gear in town.

Lastly, you just cannot underestimate the value of and the comfort provided by having the guys at ERA support you before, during and especially after the purchase. You really do become part of a "family". (Sometimes it is like the Costanza family on Sienfeld Ha Ha) But when all is said and done, that combination of locality, and longevity and customer satisfaction has tipped the scales for me towards ERA.

Also contact Bob in CT, he has a real nice Superformance and is very pleased with it and SF as well. Which ever way you go Joe, you will be in good company. Always nice to have another CT Cobra around! Cheers.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 10-03-2003, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#1325, Miller Machine FE
Not Ranked     
Default Why not aShelby roller ?

I love my Superformance and I can't wait to get home to drive it. But Shelby American is offering painted rollers for 39 which is way to close to the SPF price not to consider it. Shelby's name is worth something (He can't be expected at 80, to keep signing them for ever)
Old 11-04-2003, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 GT 350 #2264
Not Ranked     

Do not be surprised if he invents a machine that will duplicate his signature any size on any surface...................!
Old 11-05-2003, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just wanted to add my two cents I just took delivery of ERA 635 with 427 s/o and the car is awesome, fit and finsh is the best as for price you get what you pay for. As for the wait well worth it.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

Congratulations,Seeyaa!I can't wait to find out firsthand.We'll be looking forward to your pictures in the gallery(ASAP!)
Old 12-24-2003, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1676
Not Ranked     

I looked at ERA and yes they are nice cars. I went with the SPF because it suited what I wanted better. I didnt have time to build, heck I barely had time to build the engine and get it in the car. I want to drive, not build.

Sean

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html
Old 12-24-2003, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Good choice.

TURK