Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default ccx steering column

I have found some play in my steering column where the shaft exits the housing. After 25 years of usage the bushing must have worn out. What type of column did the ccx use and is there off the shelf bushings available?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

If there isn't, Mickmate should be able to whip one up for you pretty quickly. Just get some measurements - ID of column tube and OD of shaft, length of bushing recess- if there is one.
If the dimensions are pretty simple- IE- 3/4" Outside, 1/2" inside dimension- or something like that, Lowes has a pretty good assortment of Sintered bronze bushings. McMaster carr has a better selection and much better pricing and usually deliver in a couple of days.

Bob
Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by racco View Post
I have found some play in my steering column where the shaft exits the housing. After 25 years of usage the bushing must have worn out. What type of column did the ccx use and is there off the shelf bushings available?
Racco,
I had the same problem with my CCX steering column, mine is a MG unit. My problem was the exact same as yours, the bottom bushing was very loose, allowing the shaft to have excess play where it exits the housing. The bottom bushing for this column, believe ot or not, is a simple piece of thick felt that gets oiled or grease impregnated and inserted into the column housing and the shaft passes through it. The top bushing, which I replaced also since I was in there, is a nylon bushing. I got my bushings from a place called Moss Motors, they're on the internet. Google them and you'll be all set to go. Hope this helps.
Doug
Old 03-21-2010, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile Bushing

Made mine out of delron.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nobody likes a showoff, king.....
You're much more talented than I am - I wouldn't know where to start to do that. I guess a chunk of delron (where to buy) and a lathe?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Bushing

Sorry,
Just trying to help.
Your local plastic shop should be able to help you with a piece of delron,and a machine shop will machine you the bushing.

Regards,
Mike.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65cobraking View Post
Sorry,
Just trying to help.
Your local plastic shop should be able to help you with a piece of delron,and a machine shop will machine you the bushing.

Regards,
Mike.
Mike, just pulling your leg on the showoff comment, hence the smiley face...
Outstanding job on the bushing.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile Bushing

It's OK,
I have thick skin!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I called a local british parts dealer and he said that mgb's have a flange on the end of the shaft that comes out of the housing. Could it be a vw steering column?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question Bushing

Doug,
Is the bottom of your column identical to mine?
Mine is from a 67 MGB.
Mike.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1981 CONTEMPORY COBRA, 351C
Not Ranked     
Default crowl support

Doug did you remove your crowl support when you repainted your car. i decided to rewire and removed dash and wiring, i found that the carpet was really tight between the body and upright tubing, i would like to remove the support and remove the excess metal off the door hinge and dress up the brackets. i noticed that you filled in the hole for the steering column, how did you handle the hole, mine just looks ulgy. and last did you install that aluminum firewall and how hard was it to install.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65cobraking View Post
Doug,
Is the bottom of your column identical to mine?
Mine is from a 67 MGB.
Mike.
Mike,
Mine looks identical to yours.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccx1984 View Post
Doug did you remove your crowl support when you repainted your car. i decided to rewire and removed dash and wiring, i found that the carpet was really tight between the body and upright tubing, i would like to remove the support and remove the excess metal off the door hinge and dress up the brackets. i noticed that you filled in the hole for the steering column, how did you handle the hole, mine just looks ulgy. and last did you install that aluminum firewall and how hard was it to install.
I didn't remove the cowl support, I left it in. I filled the hole for the steering column because mine was a mess just like yours, I made it neat with a complete fill, and I am having Nick Acton (Mickmate) make me an original type gas pedal assembly that will incorporate the top corner of the footbox. Kinda hard to explain, the top corner of the footbox will be metal and will incorporate the outlet for the steering column as well as the gas pedal assembly. Nick, if you see this maybe you can jump in with a better explanation and maybe a picture? As far as the firewall, I was given a copy of a template for one, Nick cut it out and I put the bend in it with Nick at a local sheetmetal shop owned by a friend. Installing it was a snap, just drilled some holes around the perimeter out of sight and riveted it to the fiberglass.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: early Contemporary Cobra (1005), 67 Shelby GT350 with Inline carb on a Boss 302
Not Ranked     
Default CCX steering column

Contemporary used a custom fabricated steering column.The main shaft is 29.125" long and 1.05" O.D. The steering wheel end necks down to .88", tapers to .8", and is then .72" O.D. and 30 spline, shaft insert is 64-67 MGB. The shaft connecting the column to the rack is 23.5" long, .812" O.D, necked to .75" diameter, and the same 48 spline at the column and rack ends. The U-joints are Borgeson Universals marked with an E7 on each end. The column is 24.75" long and 1.25" O.D. The teflon bushings in the column are about 1.1" ID by 1.125" OD at each end.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I have seen some scarey looking cobbed together steering shafts on a couple of CCX's. If you need a new splined one piece shaft to replace something like that I use Sweet. Bushings have been pretty well covered but I think I use Delrin. We're making one for Dougs that looks like an original but has the bulge in the side to accomodate the steering shaft like the later CCX's have in glass on theirs.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default hi bought car needs column

hi i bought an ac body loose from frame and no dash or steering column . what should i go with and where can i read on how to install. thank you brett
Old 08-29-2010, 04:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Brett, I have a dash board if you need one. Let me know and I'll post a photo..

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I make those if you have a need. Send me an e-mail address and I'll e-mail you the manuals.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had a look at my column and it had a felt lower bushing and a nylon upper. I ordered a felt bush from the local brit car parts dealer and what a difference it made. The wheel is tight and the play is gone. Only time will tell how long it lasts.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default hi i'm at steering column stage need imput

i bought what i believe was a cmc kit. well done but no steering looks like mustangII steering box. i was told i could go mgb column any thoughts. i want the best i can get for least money. i also need windshield ass and roll bars. if anyone can help. also and lit on attaching body to chassie steps. i have no manuals or steps to follow. thank you brett 252 202 4057