Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax Tojeiro, 450bhp 383 ci Stroker, Tremec TKO and Contemporary CCX, Big Block Ford, old school.
Not Ranked     
Default CCX front uprights etc.

Hi all, I just bought an unfinished Contemporary here in the UK.

I'm missing a fuel tank, seats, front pin drive hubs, front uprights and steering arms also front discs and calipers.

Do they have to be E type (XKE) or can later XJS parts be utilized?

What discs and calipers will fit inside the 15" Halibrands?

I'm guessing that the E type ones will be a bit lacking?

I have the rears but not spaced for vented discs, are vented necessary?

I've built a Jaguar based Dax Cobra already with a 383 Stroker in it, so I'm no novice.

That said I'll gratefully accept any help and advice available.

I guess that most if not all the bespoke Contemporary parts I'm missing will have to come from your side of the pond.

Any advice on recommended suppliers gladly received.

I'm sure Nick will be along soon.

Many Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Kev

I would say older type arms XKE are better and if you use Wilwood calipers the solid discs are fine. My solid rear's worked perfect w/o venting.

Gas tank = The 42g replica tank via Nick with straps as it is awesome. Looks the part and really set off ass end detail. Anything less is a sin.... Comp style Contemporary tank

Seats: Call ERA or try Brooklamds.. There was a KMS set here on the forum not too long ago.. Get good seats as it to makes a huge difference.
Steering parts = Jaguar as it will have correct fitment.
Detail parts = Nick again........
ccx floor mount brakes

CCX cars are great, keep us all posted........ pictures....

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 05-23-2011 at 05:09 PM..
Old 05-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Sorry, can't answer questions until we've seen pics, ;-)
The XJ6, 12 and S have a completely different style control arm. They are asymetric on E-types versus an isosceles triangle on XJ's. The spindle looks very similar and may be interchangeable for some bigger brakes and vented rotor options. I put some large by huge front brakes on a CCX with 17" rims and was completely amazed the rotor/caliper size that almost fit in a 15" wheel. E type brakes are lousy especially with wrong ratios on pedals with no boost etc. I wouldn't worry about rear brake upgrades unless you're planning on tracking the car.
Here is an awesome bolt on brake upgrade Wilwood Racing Caliper Conversion Kits
I really like the Wilwood upgrade options and use them on my own and customer cars where I can. I have the caliper brackets to put Wilwoods on the solid rotor Jag brakes.
Are you going with 6 pin hubs/wheels? If you use 5 they can go right on your Jag hubs, same as a Chevy 5 on 4.75" B.C.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax Tojeiro, 450bhp 383 ci Stroker, Tremec TKO and Contemporary CCX, Big Block Ford, old school.
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies Guys.
I'm pretty sure my wheels (which came as part of the unfinished kit), are 6 pin drive, I have the rear hubs but not the front.
I also have no uprights.
Do the E type steering arms need modification or are they used as thet come?
I have seen E types advertised for sale saying that they are fitted with XJS uprights, don't know if that's an option for a CCX?
No shortage of XJ* spares in the UK, but E type is getting scarse.
I have the CCX front top and bottom arms but nothing in between.

Nick I'm loving the tank, do you want to reveal a price? maybe via a PM if you prefer.
I have the top hung pedals at the moment, is there any advantage to floor mounting other than originality?

I do the odd track day but nothing serious so the rear brake will probably say as they are.

The seats are another issue, I want to put the proper seats in but we have a thing in the UK called an IVA test for kit cars, these regulations ask for high back seats with fixed headrests.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hung pedals using the Jag pedal box were made for a booster. Any CCX's I've seen with them don't use the booster. I'll check the one I have here but the pedal pivot points are wrong and you'll never get enough pressure out of it. You need both hands bending the steering wheel spokes and both feet on the brake pedals to try and get enough pressure and never will. The beaded comp CCX tank is about $1400 with current material prices. The irony is shipping to European countries is comparably priced to domestic shipping on some stuff I've been sending recently. I have seen E type arms modified but they work well stock.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Nick,
BTW I notice your website is down or up for renewal I think the message is.

So you think the hanging pedals would be OK if a servo was used?

So I need to keep looking for some E Type uprights and steering arms then.

I also contacted George Petrus about hubs etc. but he no longer does them himself.
Do you know who now has that side of the business?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

"I also contacted George Petrus about hubs etc. but he no longer does them himself.
Do you know who now has that side of the business?"

Try Phil at PS Vintage Wheels Products
Third row from the bottom

Last edited by cobrarkc; 05-25-2011 at 10:25 AM..
Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Kev, we're up again now with a new site coming. The hanging pedal ratio is made for boost so yes that will work. I think it would be worth checking an XJ upright compatibility for better brakes. PS advertises the Jag 6 pin hubs on his site.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks again guys, I have emailed PS about hubs.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a bit of an update,
I contacted PS and they can't supply the hubs.
He suggested that I contact George Petrus which of course I already had.
I contacted George again as his contact hadn't come back to me, George gave me the number for Bullet Fabrications in California who he has authorised to produce the Cobra parts.
Unfortunately their website is down and they are not answering calls or messages.
I have however discovered that the UK Kirkham agent (Hawk Cars) do a 6 pin drive hub based on the Jaguar upright.
Not cheap but available.
I still haven't located any E Type uprights so I'm starting to look at XJS ones, which I believe are similar but the length is slightly different, they also have slightly stronger stub axles.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

and better brakes........
Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

You might also try these guys although they get their stuff from George they might have something laying around. Check suspension components
Welcome to Lesher Motorsports
Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Mike at Bullit Fabrication is building parts for my cammer car,fuel tank,rollbar,new radiator and mounts and steering rack modification-to clear the stainless steel headers he built for the cammer. I wanted the outboard brake system that George built but the demand for his product isn't as strong as it used to be and he's using his time for other projects. We have George's display unit that you see on his web site but we are only using it for reference. We will incorporate a watts linkage with outboard brakes and maybe trailing arms if we have enough room. Mike likes to do one off projects but if there is interest he can make multiple parts while he is set up on his cnc he just likes to pick and choose his projects.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.
Legen thanks for the PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

Hi Kev,
I have a set of Wilwood Superlite 4 pot brake calipers for the front with the special adapters for the jag uprights and almost new front disks. I had them on my Contemporary until I put in larger brakes.
I also have a 427CO engine less heads, clutch and and a toploader gearbox.
Can send pictures if you provide an email.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Eljaro, you have a PM.