Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2022, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Help with fuel gauge

To anyone that has the aluminum trunk and aluminum extra large tank. My fuel gauge is pegged at full when I turn the car on. I went looking for the sending unit on the tank and am having problems. Underneath is just the bottom of the fuel tank with a drain plug. On top in the trunk is all aluminum and appears to be riveted on so no access to the top from there. Do I need to drop the tank to gain access? That is if the tank even drops that easy. It’s a large aluminum tank shaped like a U so the sides go up inside the quarter panels.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 10-18-2022, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Cobra CCX-3-3967
Not Ranked     

I would be interested to see the underside of your car. I don't have the big tank or aluminum inner panels but my sending unit is in the front top of the tank and you can reach it for connecting the wires by hand. You would likely need to drop the tank to remove the sender. I'm curious if they removed the fiberglass floor of the trunk or just built the aluminum panels on top of that.
Thanks, Mike
Old 10-18-2022, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvanhorn8893 View Post
I would be interested to see the underside of your car. I don't have the big tank or aluminum inner panels but my sending unit is in the front top of the tank and you can reach it for connecting the wires by hand. You would likely need to drop the tank to remove the sender. I'm curious if they removed the fiberglass floor of the trunk or just built the aluminum panels on top of that.
Thanks, Mike

I’ll grab some pictures tomorrow to show you. I have seen other Contemporary’s with the option for the trunk. Not sure if the aluminum tank was an option or custom.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here are some pictures
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2022, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

The sending unit should be on one of the side pods of the tank on top ...

Last edited by Morris; 10-18-2022 at 06:24 PM..
Old 10-19-2022, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
The sending unit should be on one of the side pods of the tank on top ...

Thanks! Is that a picture of yours? I’ll get it up on the lift and see if I can hopefully find the wire connection first so I can test that before dropping the tank.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmccooey View Post
Thanks! Is that a picture of yours? I’ll get it up on the lift and see if I can hopefully find the wire connection first so I can test that before dropping the tank.
It is .....and you need a vent on both sides of the tank as well as a return line from the engine.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

The CCX tank is most likely flat so the vents on both side not like it would be for a 40 gallon tank.

I would pop off wheels and check for the sender under a wheel well or worse case drill out rviets as its easy to do.

My HTM car sender is in wheel well access point.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

When I was troubleshooting my fuel gauge, I found that when the gauge sensor wire was grounded, the fuel gauge was pegged to full. You might want to check continuity between your sensor wire and ground.

Here is the thread from my ordeal:

Need help with gas gauge
Old 10-24-2022, 10:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Also, check to see if it is full.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the help. I had a little time between rain storms to dig into it. Found the sending unit int the middle of the tank towards the front. Ground from the sending unit tested good. Traced the green sending wire to front. It might be pinched on body/frame over by the left rear wheel. I pulled the drivers seat and under the carpet are two wire bundles with connections. I disconnected the gas gauge harness under the seat. Test from fuel tank showing 0 ohms. Tested towards the gauge with potentiometer. Fuel gauge showed E when disconnected. With 0 ohms applied the gauge goes to F, it goes down to 1/2 at 45 and just above E on 90. The fuel tank was drained. I’ll see if I can clear the green wire from the pinch and drop tank to see if it’s getting grounded out on the pinch or somewhere else. To be continued!