Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2003, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 3rd Annual Willis Race

Here we go again, it's time for the 3rd annual WILLIS RACE.
This year it is to be held June 28-29 and July 1-2, 2003 again at Roebling Road Raceway, in Savannah Ga.
www.Roeblingroad.com
The first two days, june 28-29, are a POC ( Porsche Owners Club) event and they have been gracious enough to invite our group to share the track with them without having to join POC or even have a Porsche. I believe they are charging $250 for both Days. Details of their event can be found at
www.POCse.us
but in a nutshell they have a DE ( Drivers Education) format with several groups having different passing rules per group based on experience.
June 30th we are having a "go to the beach" day at Hilton Head Island as we promised our wives,followed by an afternoon cookout in the yard looking at the cars with some refreshments.We'll call it somewhat of an early evening so as to be "bright eyed and bushy tailed" at the track first thing in the morning.
July 1 -2 we are back at the track and DSCC members will be my guests. Same basic format as the POC event, running the same schedule. lunches are provided and the night of July 1st we cookout at the track.
The Holiday Inn (oceanfront) is very convenient to my house and they are not yet booked up. The # is (843) 785-5126. There are plenty of places to stay that are closer to the race track (45 min - 1 hour away from Hilton Head) . Check the Roebling website above. Camping is allowed at the track.
Guys that have been to Gainesville should enjoy this track. Those with no experience whatsoever should contact me so as to know what to expect. Car/Driver preparation is covered on POC website.
The Idea here is to have a fun Fourth of July week at the beach with a little track driving thrown in for good measure. Even in the open passing groups this is not a race, it is a "ride and drive " track event. The corner workers will expel goofballs without hesitation ( Toy Collector ?) and you'll have to sit outside the gate with a dunce cap on till dinner's ready.

Last edited by Johan; 05-14-2003 at 07:36 AM..
Old 04-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Thanks for putting me and my family up at your place and thanks for the invite. I'll be there. Can I extend my stay and make it two weeks?

For breakfast we like Eggs Benedict, except my daughter who wants pop-tarts. Remember to tell your wife to keep the lids up on the toilet seats, cause at night if they are down, I forget to raise them. I will need parking for only 5 vehicles and my trailer. Also, I plan on tuning my vehicles at night during the cooler temps, hope your neighbors love V-8s. More requests to follow Will Spyderman be there?
Old 04-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On a serious note, DC and I will be there and have already found place to stay....
....your house
Old 04-29-2003, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

After last year, I'm doing the smart thing and getting a room at Holiday Inn. Hey you said you'd bring the TV back, and Summer's almost here !

Entry list:

me Whatever runs
TC Whatever's Finished
DC Whatever works

Looks like we'll have plenty of time......Lets just rent cars at AVIS
Old 04-29-2003, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Yard Dog FFR 521, 572 Fire Ant Mongrel Cobra 393, 566, Boss 600 hemi , RCR40 #13 348
Not Ranked     

What is the Willis 100?
Old 04-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't actually know. But seeing as you're in Savannah, got any spare bedrooms? Closer than Hilton Head.

Just kidding. The Willis 100 is a www.worldcarz.com event that John ensures happens annually. John's son decided to see and be born into the world while he was racing just shy of 2 years ago right around that same day--talk about a kid with lousy timing . The Willis 100 of 2003 will be the 2 year anniversary of that said event. John probably holds the record for Roebling to Atlanta travel in a non-helicopter after same said event in a street car.

JW can add much more spice to this, but it is a bunch of guys having fun mastering a track (which can't be done)--just like golf.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JW, The color just went out on the TV set you "let me have" last summer. Want me to leave it by the side door? I'm sure you know how to fix it. I forgot to lift the manual on my way out I'll put a trash bag over it in case it rains. Thanks. Wanna buy the rabbit ears I was usin'?
Old 04-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice FFR John Owen, very nice. [edited to clarify which John]

Last edited by ToyCollector; 04-29-2003 at 07:25 PM..
Old 04-30-2003, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Yard Dog FFR 521, 572 Fire Ant Mongrel Cobra 393, 566, Boss 600 hemi , RCR40 #13 348
Not Ranked     

TC - Thanks for the information and kind comments about my car. Perhaps I will see you or John on a future outing and get the whole story about the race. How long will it take for you to get the Kirkham?
Old 04-30-2003, 07:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hope to have the roller chassis in 2-3 weeks. then motor install right after. Ultimately car done in time for DVSFIII mid June. I am having SERIOUS Cobra withdrawel.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

TC, the Willis is not actually a WWW.worldcarz.com event, it is just listed on their calender. If you sign up there they will probably charge for it ! The track is already rented, we already have corner workers, EMT, wrecker, etc. All I ask for is a head count so I can order food. Last year we had 62 lunches get eaten, and now I know why every time I saw you or your sister it was in the chow line. I'm glad she made it though, all the way from Arkansas, even though she was somewhat confused, not to mention delayed, by those "Clean Restrooms Ahead" highway signs .
Old 05-01-2003, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

JW,
I'd sure like to join in the fun with you boys for the Willis 100, got room for one more? I've been wanting to get out on the Roebling Road track, this looks like my big chance......

Mike

Better make that two more, my buddy Larry says he'd like to get his car up there also.

Last edited by Mike I; 05-01-2003 at 10:13 AM..
Old 05-01-2003, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sure Mike, I wanna hear your webers !
Roebling Road is capable of large gatherings in the range of 200-300 cars running over a weekend. We'll have 20-40 cars probably so plenty of track time divided amongst 3 groups.
We are going to have fun.
If I understand the Gainesville format, there was no passing and only a couple of cars on the track at a time. This will not be the case at Roebling.
You will be placed in a group that is appropriate to your level of experience, along with 5 or 10 other cars. The track is over 2 miles long and regularly runs up to 40 cars in one session, so at 10 cars, it will not be crowed.
Group 1 : Passing with a "point by" in the straight sections only
Group 2 : Passing with a "point by" anyplace but turn 9 or 1
Group 3 : No passing restrictions
In all groups it is the responsibility of the overtaking driver to make a safe pass.
Most of us are in the group 1 category with a few in the group 2 category, and even fewer in the Group 3 category, such as TC( he must have pulled strings to get his HSR and PCA comp Licenses). Most of group 3 will be made up of friends from HSR (Historic Sportscar Racing), like last years GTP car champ Robert Tornello driving his Lola t-600 ground effect coupe, Or Gene Felton, the winningest Imsa driver extant in his Dale jr. #8 Cup car.
All of this is fun to watch, and there is nothing wrong with just coming to watch if one has no desire to get out on the track .
Old 05-01-2003, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds great JW, I'll look forward to it. You're correct about the G'ville format, but I like the format you've described for the Willis 100 much better.....

What safety/track/auto requirements do I need to know about (i.e. functional roll bar, 5 pt harness, fire extinguisher etc)?

Okay to run street tires (Eagle GSC's)?

Do I have to have a comp license to run in Group 1?

I love vintage racing, It's worth coming just to watch the HSR class cars running!!!!

Mike
Old 05-01-2003, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The most important safety item to possess is a good attitude .
The idea is to learn to drive a consistant, accurate, racing line.
If you spin or go off the track, come in and explain what happened, take a breather, and go out next time focusing not on speed but smoothness.
A proper Rollbar, 5 point belts, Helmet (snell 95 min), gloves, sneakers, fire extinguisher, are required.
A cheapo driving suit is recomended, but long pants/sleaves at a minimum. Bring shorts and just keep changing clothes, that's what I have to do.
Street tires are O.K. Check pressures after a few laps as they will go up with temp.
Get some "Cling-on wrap" for the leading edges of the rear fenders and the grill so as to avoid small chipping of the paint from sand. Apply some type of foam padding on the inside of your fenders to avoid damage from small rocks that might fly off your tires. Check wheel bearings, brake pads, fluid levels. It would sure be nice if you had a catch can on the radiator vent and oil system. If you leak, make sure you notify somebody.

A competition license is not required for group 1 or 2.

Group 1,or 2, cars are not expected to try to go as fast as the car will go down the straight. Just go 70 if you want, but let the others by you by pointing to the side of the car you wish to be passed on. We will have Several driver's meetings to cover this. If you miss the driver's meeting, find me and I'll explain whatever you missed.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't worry about me JW, I've got the right attitude and I always drive under control.....

I'm not looking to set the track record or get stupid out there, I just want to get some track time therapy and have some fun. My car is pretty well set up for this kind of event. It handles well and it's safe, not to worry. Not too concerned about chipped paint either. Oh, and I do have a catch can, a Snell 2000 helmet, and a cheapo driving suit too!!

BTW, Do I have to notify someone EVERY time I leak???

Mike
Old 05-01-2003, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The list of attendees has moved to the last page of the thread, now page 7...

Last edited by Johan; 05-19-2003 at 02:08 PM..
Old 05-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

You think Group 3 needs a 3a and 3B? Some lightning fast stuff is showing intermixed with slow momentum stuff (i.e. my 944). Time for me to glue my rearview mirror back on my car
Old 05-01-2003, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

TC, You are in group 2, but you can move to 1 or 3 if you like. Are you saying you want your own group ?If I make too many groups, It will make for a lot of standing around. For example:
Group 3 will go out on the hour
Group 2 will go at 20 past
Group 1 will go out at 40 past.
This makes for 20 minute sessions, about 10 -15 laps. There will be a printed schedule, maybe even two of them. I'm just making a group list so that people on the lists can modify them, and I think we'll have some special sessions too that are longer, if so desired. So long as everybody runs the same direction, I'm open to suggestions, such as a Cobra only session, or a Drag race up the front straight for an hour ! I mean all of us in an hour, not just you TC.
Mike I, funny on the leaking deal, I knew I was mis-speaking, but too lazy to re-type it. Ha

Last edited by Johan; 05-01-2003 at 02:20 PM..
Old 05-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Those groups look better. I noted the change next to your name. Any secret weapons I don't know about?