Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2003, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

John,

It was there at Dreamland, the M6 and it is (I need to put my track tires on) track ready. My only driving experience on track involves endurance carting events. I'm flexible enough I believe to move up a group and stay out of the way. If I am in the M6 I will be in one of if not the slowest car out there.

Tony Hull
Cracker

P.S. I'm the guy who wanted you to have your $10 back!
Old 06-10-2003, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You're in ...nice car, I remember it .. come up with a car number that is not taken so check the list on page 7.
Some french guy just called and wants to run some wing ding thing that makes obnoxious mazda noises and does lap times 5 seconds faster than me and I was trying to figure out how to tell him he could not come and he says "see you there" and hung up. Crap, I hate it when this happens. He is essentially running a go cart and is going to blow everybody's doors off.
I'm going to make Spyderman "foreign liason officer", that should discourage this sort of thing !
Old 06-10-2003, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for doing this for everyone. Have you ever thought of having more kids so we can do it more than once a year We could also have Susie day, Little John day, etc. See you there!

Tony Hull
Cracker
Old 06-10-2003, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Miatas passing Cobras! Hmmmmm.....cb
Old 06-10-2003, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You have to know this flag stuff. There will be a test .......

Flags are used to communicate to the drivers. Flags may be used to warn drivers of changing conditions, a problem ahead, a faster car behind or the end of a session. It is imperative that all drivers commit the meanings of all flags to memory. A simple rule of thumb is that a waved flag indicates a more serious problem than a stationary one. Two waved flags indicate an increased level of seriousness. TC has seen three at an HSR event.

GREEN FLAG - The track is open and clear for use. This flag will be displayed for one lap after the caution flag has been shown.

YELLOW FLAG - The YELLOW flag, also known as the CAUTION flag, will be displayed for the first lap of the first open lapping session for each run group. No passing is allowed whenever the YELLOW flag is displayed. If the flag is waved it indicates that there is a serious problem just ahead, possibly a car or other obstruction on track. Slow down, and proceed with caution! Don't wear a yellow shirt and jump around near a corner worker station like Dave Crace did.

RED FLAG - This flag means something major has happened, and the track is being shut down. When red is displayed, the first thing you should do is look in your mirrors. Then apply your brakes smoothly and firmly until you come to a stop. Stay in your car where you are and you will be advised by someone (a corner worker or TracQuest official) when you may proceed. Remember, stay in your car!!! We do not want to see a red flag.

BLACK FLAG
Black Open - This flag means there is a problem with your driving and/or car. Slow down and come into the pits and stop in the hot pits at Start/Finish to talk to the Pre-grid controller. If you are not sure if the black flag is meant for you, it is still prudent to come in and check with the Pre-grid controller. If a black flag is shown at all corners slow down and come into the pits.

Black, Furled - If this Black Flag is pointed at you, it's a WARNING that you broke a rule or drove unsafely. Don't do it again! Stay out on track and behave yourself !

BLACK FLAG / ORANGE BALL - This flag, sometimes called the MEATBALL flag, means that the turn workers have noticed a problem with your car. Proceed around to the pit exit, exit the track and talk to the Pre-grid controller at Start/Finish about your mechanical problem. TC had beer cans blowing out of the windows and got meatballed once. Clean your car out before you go on the track. Do not spill fluids on the track. Use catch cans.

BLUE FLAG - This flag, commonly called the PASSING flag, means that you are being overtaken by cars that are faster than you in the corners, even if you may be much faster on the straights. When you see this flag, look in your mirrors. Signal and allow faster cars behind you to pass at the next passing zone. And remember: if a car is right behind you, he/she is probably faster than you - Scotty didn't just beam him in there!

WHITE FLAG - This flag indicates that there is an ambulance or slow moving vehicle on the track, which could be moving in the same direction or the opposite direction. Please be on the lookout for it. You may pass the vehicle carefully when you come upon it. If the flag is waved, this vehicle is just ahead; slow down.

YELLOW FLAG with RED STRIPES - Referred to as the OIL flag or DEBRIS flag, this flag indicates oil or debris on the track, or slippery conditions. The flag will be waved at the location of the problem for one or two laps. Caution throughout the session is recommended. Just because the flag isn't being waved throughout the rest of your session doesn't mean the problem has gone away.

CHECKERED FLAG - This flag means the driving session is over. Slow down and allow your car to cool down. Exit the track at the end of the lap. This flag will be displayed at Start/Finish only. Passing after the checkered flag is not recommended, unless you need to keep your tires hot in order to use a pyrometer. DO NOT BLOW THE CHECKERED FLAG!! Aside from being black flagged, you will know that 20-25 other cars are sitting there at Pre-grid, waiting for their session to begin, watching you go around the track BY YOURSELF!
Old 06-10-2003, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John: I can jump to Group 2, leaving my rookie partner Chad in group One, both in the track prepared Mazda. Experience includes 30 years kart racing, 2 Ferrari Club of America (FCA) track events/lapping days (Summit Point and Road Atlanta), two car guys driving schools (Rockingham and Road Atlanta), One Walter Mitty (Road Atlanta) and one Roebling event. We will take number 66 to honor the late, great Mark Donahue. cb
Old 06-10-2003, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jeez Chip, you sound like group 3 to me. Group 2 it is though.
The deciding factor of run groups will be the ability to drive a predictable line. Group 2 drivers know how to leave room to pass without getting offline and getting in the way. Passing is to be done offline, meaning the car doing the passing has to go "off line" to make the pass. You can see how a problem would occur if the driver being passed suddenly "pulled over" to let the faster car by.
66 is yours if it is available.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John: I am not group 3 fast, just half fast. cb
Old 06-10-2003, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Joahn
Which hotel is most of the cobra people staying at? Actually I would perfer to stay at the hotel where the big party is going to be at. You know where the Hooters swimsuit models are serving cold adult beverages.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Engineer Ed and Jim Pomroy and others are staying in Savannah Historic district. Check with them for details.
Dave Crace and Toy Collector have a suite at "The Breakers"(Sounds Tawdry, whatever that means ). Many of the Porsche guys are camping out at the track.
I think the Holiday inn on Hilton Head is 179 per night , lots less than a DUI, but if you don't drink too much, there is no reason you could not do the 30-40 minute drive closer to the track, save a bundle of dough, and be the first to pull in in the morning. I decided not to do a "Host Hotel" because it seemed like everyone had different objectives, but if there was one, it would be the Hilton Head Holiday Inn Oceanfront, within walking distance of the house, with the Tiki Hut beachside bar, and it is next door to "the Breakers", where the week-long people are staying.
Perhaps Spyderman has the best idea.
He is checking into Beaufort County/Betty Ford rehab clinic.
He says it is the best place to meet party chicks, and insurance covers it.

Last edited by Johan; 06-10-2003 at 06:02 PM..
Old 06-10-2003, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pleae ask spydy if they have family rates and if they accept pets (other than cockroaches). Can I just dial 911?
Old 06-10-2003, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to cobramandave
Not Ranked     

Johan,

I was reading your check list of does. I have everything covered except for a driving suit and arm restrants. Are they needed.

Thanks

David,
Old 06-11-2003, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A driving suit and arm restraints are required if you plan to push the car or yourself anywhere near the limits. For group 1 driving, that should not be the case. Common sense prohibits me from taking out the Lola without these types of protection, but i would go out in group 1 without them and feel comfortable. I must recommend them to be on the safe side and let you make the actual decision.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Chip, #66 is taken by Tommy Powell.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

# "06" for Tony Hull/M6.

Thanks!

Cracker
Old 06-11-2003, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No problem: the number 6 is hard to make in duct tape. I'll just take ay number available.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #223
Not Ranked     

Johan,
The Florida group will be leaving EARLY monday morning.
This is going to be tough after a late night at the Queensryche concert Sunday. OUCH
If we can leave at 5:30am we figure to arrive about 2-3:00 at your place if all goes well.

I read in another post that the track was going to be open for trailer parking on Monday... Still true?

Can our gang stop at the track and drop off our trailers?
Please call me if I need a password to get in to the track.

Talk to you later.
Ed
Old 06-12-2003, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes , you can park the trailers at the track on Monday, but they might be out to lunch etc., so perhaps call them and give them an eta. Phone number is on their website.
Yes you need a password to get in. The password sounds like Mrs. Diller's first name, but starts with the same letter as the 4 carbs that I lent to TC. Furthermore, no trailers are to be able to leave without authorization from a familiar face. There has never been a problem, and "Sarge" keeps an eagle eye on everybody's stuff.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Chip, do you want to be # 666 ?
Old 06-12-2003, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #223
Not Ranked     

Password understood.
BTW, does your reply to the other thread mean you will be joining us at Sebring in March?

Ed
DSCC President