10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-26-2003, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Hawk questions from across the pond

I have a couple of questions for you across the pond, I have inherited a MGB V8 conversion and I am looking at using the motor and gearbox in a Hawk 1.8 kit. I was wondering what types of issues I might encounter. Here is a rundown of the bits I have assembled.

1980 SD1 3500
1991 Rover hotwire EFI milled to fit under MGB bonnet
TR8 gearbox, bellhousing and clutch assembly

Looking at the information online for the hawk 1.8, it appears that I need to have a wire wheel axle from a MGB. Is this the only option available?

What types of exhaust headers work best? Rover blockhuggers for the B, RV8 headers, or other?

Thanks
Klatka
Old 06-27-2003, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What the hell do you want with the EFI on the old Rover3,5 ??? Are you keen to build your Kit ??? Usualy you first decide which engine than you decide the car.!!! We all used to go british with a Triumph TR6 or modern british or better traditional german with a BMW 5/6/7 series engines, but only straight six on the ACE !!!!********************************************** ***
I like the Rover with stage 2/3 heads on and Weber carburator and manifold good for 200 - 220 HP. With 3.9 engine you'll have 240+HP, with 4,6 and matched heads 270+HP.
For the rear axle go for the salisbury type, not the banyo ! Gearboy std. Rover SD1 is fine. Headers go for the MGB convertions from Moss , the have to be close to the block, and they are good for more than 270 HP. If you want to know more, please feel free to ask.

Fritz

HAWK CARS LTD. GERMANY &
KIRKHAM MOTORSPORTS EUROPE
Old 06-28-2003, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well,
I don't realy care much for the rounded lines of the the 427, or even the flairs on a slab side 289, so an Ace is what appeals to my tastes. As far as powerplants go, I already have the Rover, and the British & German lumps weigh the same or more. (I can tell I'm going to crucified for this one) I not real concerned about horsepower, 240 with the 3,9 is an option, or with the 300 buick crank and some machine work, stroke it to 4,9. As for EFI. I already have the ECI, harness and manifold. I hadn't even concidered the option of using a BMW mill, I don't have any experience with them, but I'm open to suggestions and willing to listen to opinions.

Alan
Old 08-18-2003, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     

If you aren`t too concerned about power, I think if I were you I would opt for a 2.8 or 3.0 BMW straight six.(You would do well to talk to Fritz about wheter the Beemer `box & rear end can be fitted too,if he doesn`t know, Gerry Hawkridge will certainly have some answers.) This will definitely give you a more authentic sound & feel, plus spares & repairs would probably be a lot easier. I once co-owned a 70`s BMW 2500 with the 2.8 head & twin carb setup, You can do a lot with the heads to tweek more power out, & with a straight thru exhaust(not big bore!!!) you get a beautiful rasping,barking growl as you take it up to 6,500 rpm....NICE!

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68
Old 08-20-2003, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Klatka,
The Hawk chassis are the same throughout the range (except for the Kirkhams obviously) so in answer to your question regarding options.

You can use MGB axle - splined or standard.
or
Jaguar IRS
or
Hawk Special IRS (available from Hawk)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: