Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteF View Post
Now I'm wondering how the greaseless design can get 150,000 miles.......what magic allows that? Must be newer technology grease......thanks again to all of you for the sharing of knowledge and experience. That last photo is worth 1000 words. I assume it gave no advance warning, or you would have done something......I expected I would hear or feel something.
I think they're referring to "maintenance-free" joints, which just means the drilled grease passages (and zirk) aren't there.

It's a trade-off, the joint is stronger without the drilled passages however you also may not know when the grease has leached out either.

I've seen my share of the maintenance joints fail as well, when you pull it open (if it isn't already) one of cups is bone dry.

These cars are just hard on parts, the driveline was never designed with 600hp and a manual trans pounding the hell out of it in mind.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2765 Roush 427(POS) with cruise.
Not Ranked     

Being a farmer I've seen my share of grease vs. greaseless. With the idiots I employ, grease it means 4 or 5 shots til the u pops and oozes. Even after ordering them just 1 maybe 2 shots, they revert back to old. Now I'm not saying you do this but it doesn't take much to pop the seal and allow all kinds of crap to enter the u or pillowblock or whatever! Long ago I've gone to greaseless whether or not it has a zerk. Unless the u has any angle, once or twice a year is fine unless centrifugal force throws it out. My 2 cents. 209
Old 10-16-2009, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The Spicer Life series that are sealed and have a solid "Cold Forged" cross (no drilled passages) and are bulletproof. The seals are specially designed and the machined surfaces are diamond smooth. I found them a little difficult to locate but, once I had them in hand realized they were a far superior item. The seals as I recall are sort of greenish gold. Install & forget.

Spicer Life Series Universal Joint Cross-Over Index

Series Kit Part #
1310 / SPL22-1X
1310 / Ford 1-1/8" SPL22-3X
1310 / 7260 SPL22-4X
1330 / SPL25-1X
1330 / Ford 1-1/8" SPL25-3X
1330 / S44 SPL25-4X
S44 / S44 SPL25-6X
1330 / 7290 SPL25-7X
7290 / 290 SPL25-9X
1350 / SPL30-1X
1410 /SPL36-1X

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 10-16-2009 at 11:45 PM..
Old 10-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ428CJ View Post
I went greaseless after this happened:

(Picture removed)

This was a Spicer u-joint with only about 15 or 20,000 miles on it.
CJ428CJ, I too would like to know the story behind that failure....Please share!

I never thought about it before, but there is a correct and incorrect way to install a u-joint. It does make sense to put the hole in compression.

http://craigscobras.com/tips/ujoint/index.htm

Could incorrect orientation be the cause of some failures?

Rodger
Old 10-17-2009, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

The joint will rip in half under this type of failure (not very common), typically one of the brearing pins has snapped off (or worn off in the case of a dry joint which is also a lot of the failures).

In the picture posted you can clearly see the snapped off pin that the bearing cup rides on.

Replace your driveshaft U-joints regularly, they're pretty cheap. Your half shafts see about 1/2 the force the driveshaft does so replace all of the joints every other time.

While you have the driveshaft off check your free-play on the pinion...
Old 10-18-2009, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
How did that happen? Were you at the track with slicks on?
Please share that story.
Chas,

I had an entire thread on how I lost my u-joint but now I can't find it for some reason. To answer the question, this happened on the street with street tires. I'm running 335/35/17 Michelin Pilot Sports. I eased onto the throttle pretty good one morning and I started to experience some mild wheel hop. Before I could get off the gas, the u-joint let go. Scared the crap out of me. Thank goodness for the drive line safety loop. There are a few more pictures in my gallery.

After this happened, I upgraded to the custom ERA rearend so I could completely eliminate the wheel hop. I also switched to the Spicer maintenance free u-joints.

Quote:
I never thought about it before, but there is a correct and incorrect way to install a u-joint. It does make sense to put the hole in compression.
I was aware of the correct way to install u-joints and I confirmed that mine were properly installed with the grease fitting in compression.
Chris

Last edited by CJ428CJ; 10-18-2009 at 11:30 AM..
Old 10-18-2009, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for sharing. Don't remember the thread but it would have gotten my attention!

I could see how hop could cause the driveline to 'stop/start' rapidly and shock the joint. But I suspect the joint had a problem waiting to happen.

I've had hop at the track (and street) on occasion but never a joint failure. The IRS joints take that pounding also. Guess I've been lucky but all the zerks get grease every 2nd year.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ428CJ View Post
I had an entire thread on how I lost my u-joint but now I can't find it for some reason.
I remember that thread. You titled it "Scary Noise" or something like that and we all commented on it and it was pretty long. It was lost in one of the crashes.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
OK, this is what it looks like through the shift boot hole. I think you can do it:

I did some annual maintenance last week (loose fastener check, suspension/drive train grease, pull all wheels and apply anti-seize). I don't think I had any grease fittings on my drive shaft u-joints and just wanted to double check that I didn't forget/miss it. The CSX cars have greaseless u-joints for the drive shaft, right? Of course I could go out and check, but this seemed like an easier option.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 04-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
I did some annual maintenance last week (loose fastener check, suspension/drive train grease, pull all wheels and apply anti-seize). I don't think I had any grease fittings on my drive shaft u-joints and just wanted to double check that I didn't forget/miss it. The CSX cars have greaseless u-joints for the drive shaft, right? Of course I could go out and check, but this seemed like an easier option.
Uhh, if you had a manual that would be an easy answer to get. Which brings to mind, do you remember all the guys on here that said they were "writing a CSX manual?"
Old 04-20-2010, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhh, if you had a manual that would be an easy answer to get. Which brings to mind, do you remember all the guys on here that said they were "writing a CSX manual?"
I still need to send Panavia a PDf of the repro chassis manual that I have. I'm sure that's all that's left to finish it.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 04-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
I'm sure that's all that's left to finish it.
That, and actually writing the thing....