Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-12-2001, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Steve Dickey
Looking back at the last 6 months, I can honestly say, "seats" are the least of your problems.
Especially you, ambitious enough to do your own engine and all,
you won't be needing any seats for a while.

Question is, will you even have a practice after the next 6 months?

Enjoy the next few months, they too will pass.

Your ERA brother.

TURK
Old 08-12-2001, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Toy collector

Doors and seats were not the only things the car was sans of.
Try, License plates, registration, seat belts, quiet exhaust (as if to ask for every cop within two miles of me to come get me).
I know it wasn't the most sensible thing to do, but I just couldn't wait.
Thank God it was not raining or snowing outside, because it wouldn't have mattered.

"Beast" is a better way of describing these cars. Without going into 1st. or 2nd. It was like driving an automatic transmission.

TURK
Old 08-12-2001, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Steve:

Turk has his seats... he went for the bean bag option. It comes with a lava lamp to put in the grill... the don't call it "KIT" for nothing.

Mort MacTavish

PS: We're off to Louden tomorrow to see the Smith brothers and try to have a little fun.
Old 08-12-2001, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ross Weaver
One big poblem with sitting on the floor with no doors is I reached for the door sill only to find the warmth of the side pipes.
I don't want to be the only guy out there getting snake bitten by the side pipes in his PALM.

TURK
Old 08-13-2001, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ALmost Done!

As of Sunday August 12th. 2001
Took the week off to finish her off, and almost got it done.

TURK
Old 08-13-2001, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Just like the poster!

WIth two more mirrors on the doors she will start looking like the one depicted in the poster that gave me the inspiration to do it this way.
Just like the poster, that is being sold as "The Black Cobra", and others have listed it as the "Blue Cobra" the color of blue is so dark that it is very hard to tell if it is Blue or Black. I think I managed to capture that as well.
I am very very happy with the almost finished product.
Thanks to many of you who put up with me and my ramblings for almost 15 months.
Thanks also to the boys at ERA.
I now want to thank the little people.... you know ! The ones with the little engines!
I better stop while I am ahead.

Thanks everyone for your help and support, and friendship.

TURK
Old 08-13-2001, 02:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Show piece

Turk,

Now that looks like the Cadillac of paint jobs. Your boys at the dealership did an excellent job. I haven't seen the poster you are talking about, but I'm sure you are true to it. Congratulations on a job well done.

Ross
Old 08-13-2001, 06:04 AM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #328 w/ 390FE
Not Ranked     

Looks pretty nice TURK!
Old 08-14-2001, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ross Weaver
Here is a poor copy of that poster, which was the template and model for my car.

R U Yella
Thank you sir!

TURK
Old 08-14-2001, 08:22 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

The front jack-pads need to swap sides to match the poster (it's only noticable if you look VERY closely at the poster).

The dash-mounted mirror needs to move towards the driver about 2 or 3 inches. Basically, just place it in the center of the driver's-side stripe.

I'm just messin' with you, of course. Man, that paint job... man... I just can't talk about it. Unbelievable. Truly unbelievable. Congratulations. I know this is a dream come true for you.

Keith
Old 08-14-2001, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

That is sooooo nice Turk.

Makes me want another one.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Traveller
Thank you very much.
Is Turner Turnpike still a toll road? I went to school in Edmond and used to party in Tulsa on the weekends.

Excell guru
Picky...picky...picky..

Good eyes. Will make the correction on the jack pads. I am leaving the center mirror where it is, and there will be two more like them on the doors.

Keith, I wish you could see the paint up close. It is honestly the best paint job I have seen on any car. Since it is my business, I have had the opportunity to look at many cars, and many paint jobs. This is very good.

There are also the practicality issues. We have 250 hours in the prep and painting. At $60-$65.00 an hour shop rates, that is almost $16,000 not counting the supplies.

It is true, some of the time spent was redundant in covering up our own mistakes and making corrections. Not all 250 hours would be billable. We would go broke if we tried to charge our customers that much, or we would go broke if we spent that much time and billed them less.

First time in my professional career I was glad we had a paint shop. Usually most dealerships stay away from that part of the business, because it is so labor intensive and EPA concerns, difficulties in dealing with insurance companies etc.
I was fortunate, and it came out nice.

TURK

Last edited by Turk; 08-14-2001 at 11:06 PM..
Old 08-15-2001, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Klink
Not Ranked     
Talking

So Turk,
So realistically, how much would your place charge for a paint job like that? Just curious - cause
it might be worth it to haul a car up there if it could turn out as nice as yours did. The paint job
makes the car looks like its made of crystal - great job.
Old 08-15-2001, 05:44 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

Turk,
That is drop dead gorgeous! I sure hope you can bring it to the DVSF next year, cause I have to see this thing up close. Boy, you sure raised the bar...... gonna be hard to put something together that will beat that job.
Drive safe
- Jim -
Old 08-15-2001, 05:51 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Holy shift! $16,000 before supplies? Oh my.

I've only budgeted about $6k for paint, so now I need to find a way to increase my paint budget by $10,000 without letting the wife find out. Any ideas? (Sounds like a new dining room suit might be in my future. )

I would love to see that paint in person. I assume that you'll be at the DVSF next year. I could see it then, I suppose. Hey, if you have some really high-resolution photos of the car (i.e. larger than CC will allow you to attach), please email a couple of them. The pics that you attached already look amazing.

Keith
Old 08-15-2001, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Before someone reaches the conclusion that this is nothing more than a shameless self promotion, I want to make it clear that the only reason I divulged the details of our efforts of painting my car was to openly admit how much love and care goes into making these cars look like something we could be proud of.

There are many painters out there, some are members on the forum; who have done show quality paint jobs for a fraction of what we have invested.

I bet for $5,000 to $7,000 you can get your car to look better than mine. This was our first attempt to play with fiberglass body car from scratch. For instance I don't know that it was absolutely necessary to remove all the gelcoat to do what we did.

We spent a lot of time in the paint booth, and out in the sun trying to get all the oils and release agents out. A lot went into assuring ourselves against any pin holes. I am not sure a few pinholes in places where you can't even see them is all that important. I think the body got more bubble baths and than I did during the period it was in the shop.

You could use 1200 sandpaper, whereas 1500 takes longer. 2000 is painfully slow. All this and very carefull attention to blocking not to distort the overall shape all added up.
I honestly couldn't tell what WAS necessary what was a total waste of time. This is one case where ignorance was a bliss.

I don't believe all those cars we see at car shows and drool over have gone through the same ordeal to make their cars come out as mine did. So please before you pile up on me, understand that this is not case of self promotion as much as a public disclosure of how silly we were.

Then I have heard of people spending upwards of $10,000 on two fenders and a gas tank on a motorcycle paint job. In retrospect I feel like I got a bargain, considering I obviously did NOT pay for the materials (courtesy of PPG) and did not pay the full shop rate, since I am the boss.

Don't think you have to spend anywhere near that amount to get a good paint job. Ask around and also go look at the work being done,and also make sure to look at at least one finished job before you hand your car over to someone.

TURK
Old 08-15-2001, 10:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     
Default Door mirrors

Turk,

Again, your car has turned out beautiful. I know you will still go ahead with the door mirrors after my next comment. The one I have on my Superformance is for show only and absolutely useless for the intention of seeing anything next to you or behind you. I can't even adjust it--may just paste a picture of a pretty gal in a bikini onto it instead.
Old 08-15-2001, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to ArubaCobra
Not Ranked     
Default pictures

Hey Turk, how about emailing me those last 2 pics, so I can print them and show my painter what kind of quality i want in my paint job. unless you can explain to me how I can print the pics on the forum.
greetings
Andre
Old 08-15-2001, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Klink
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Hey Andre,
Right click on Turk's picture, and then select "Save picture as". This will take you to a prompt which
will ask you to choose a location. Save it to your comp and then print it from there, using MS Paint, or
some other program That should do it.
Take it easy,
Keith (A different Keith)
Old 08-15-2001, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Easy...

Andre...
...easy to save the posted pics to your hard drive:
(Presuming your using Internet Explorer)
...point to the image and right-click on it.
Choose "Save Picture as..." and just tell it where to put the image.

[Klink...we hit enter at the same time!!]