Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas56 View Post
What do all of you ERA-o-philes think of SPF?

Seriously, they're fine. But I would think long and hard about putting a small block in your car, regardless of the horsepower/torque numbers. That's a big decision. I know it's tough, especially with the warm weather just around the corner, but you have to take your time. If you want an ERA, then hold out for an ERA. In the long run, it'll be worth it.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Dallas, whatever brand you do decide to go with, just make sure you stick with the single rollbar (i.e. "original") look. That way you won't become an easy lightning rod around here.

There's tons of information within the archives here on the differences (some subtle, others not so) between various manufacturers. And everyone has their favorites and loyalties, and for different reasons. Just educate yourself as much as possible before you start cutting checks. Buying these cars is often much easier than selling them, especially in this economy.

-Dean
Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Dallas, whatever brand you do decide to go with, just make sure you stick with the single rollbar (i.e. "original") look. That way you won't become an easy lightning rod around here.
Go with the dual roll bars. At least on my ERA, they unbolt in five minutes and give you the ability to "convert your look."

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 11:51 AM..
Old 03-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas56 View Post
I have been at this for several weeks, and it's a little scary that I am still flip flopping about such fundamental choices. Maybe I need to slow down, take a deep breath.
Yes. I would take a guess that the majority of new Cobra buyers become new Cobra sellers fairly quickly. You have to make sure you get the right one for you. Both Superformance and ERA are good choices.

Most people out there in the world couldn't tell the difference between the two nor could they spot the difference between a small or big block. It's about what you want.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Most people can't tell the difference between a donor-built FFR and Larry E's Kirkham after it's gone through the mud.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Most people can't tell the difference between a donor-built FFR and Larry E's Kirkham after it's gone through the mud.
OK with mud, then I'll give you that one, but it better be thick and 100% complete coverage with the mud.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Go with the dual roll bars. At least on my ERA, they unbolt in five minutes and give you the ability to "convert your look."
So, do the six gaping holes in the deck lid whistle when you drive?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
So, do the six gaping holes in the deck lid whistle when you drive?
Those are filled with custom plugs that match the color of the body and the stripes. Someone around here had chrome ones that actually looked quite nice, but that wouldn't go with my motif.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:

From 100% safety to 0% safety in five minutes...pretty cool. Assuming you only remove them for show or parade purposes.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
From 100% safety to 0% safety in five minutes...pretty cool. Assuming you only remove them for show or parade purposes.
Rest assured, I do not drive without roll bars (both of them). But I have to say that the no-roll bar look is quite fetching.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Rest assured, I do not drive without roll bars (both of them). But I have to say that the no-roll bar look is quite fetching.
Maybe you should trying throwing people a curve ball, and drive with the passenger roll bar only.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually, he should make the car fully remote and then he and his children can drive it like a drone, thus no need for any roll bars.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodknock View Post
actually, he should make the car fully remote and then he and his children can drive it like a drone, thus no need for any roll bars.
Excellent idea.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

He could hire me to drive the car around for him. I don't need no stinkin' roll bar(s) to make a fool of myself.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
He could hire me to drive the car around for him. I don't need no stinkin' roll bar(s) to make a fool of myself.
Uhh, Bob... remember, I had everything bolted in to place to fit me. Nothing's adjustable. You would have to borrow that funny foam rubber "seat within a seat" thing that Doug made so he could test drive it. Now that would be embarassing.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
I don't need no stinkin' roll bar(s) to make a fool of myself.
Ooooh. That must hurt, especially coming from the highly-respected people of New Britain, CT.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Ooooh. That must hurt, especially coming from the highly-respected people of New Britain, CT.
No, you misread it. It was actually a compliment.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Dallas - I'd take a closer look at the ERA in California. #675. That car has an actual 427 sideoiler motor - I know a guy in Florida who had a couple of those - very rare motors - and he was selling them for $20 - $25k. The car also has the ERA custom rear end - check it out on their web site - it is a jewell - a piece of art. An aluminum housing that the differential is mounted in - with oversized outboard brakes. That car ALSO has a Richmond Gear heavy duty racing transmission. It is a super smooth transmission to drive, has really nice gear ratios and an Overdrive (5th gear) that is around a .73, which is not so exaggeratedly low as the .64 in many Tremec's. The Richmond gear is a more expensive tranny. This ERA is a very very well laid out car. You can always try and negotiate price a little as well - but this motor, rear end, and tranny combination is nothing but the best. That 427 should last forever - a ton of torque - and not 'forcing' big HP numbers and torque out of an overstroked small block. Reliability. The car has 2,500 miles on it - it isn't even broken in. That car would cost probably close to $75 - 80 K to duplicate. Also the ERA - in my opinion - does have THE most rigid chassis in the business. The 3" * 4" rectangular tube chassis - with the " X " cross member under the cockpit - is spectacular (most others use 2" * 4" rect tube or round tube). Add to that that the ERA is about the ONLY replica out there using chassis members that wrap up to shoulder height and around the passenger compartment. The door latches - they are mounted on a steel plate that is bolted to a steel chassis member. Most other 'replicas' mount the door latches (not the hinge) onto glass pads bonded to the body. You could pick up the ERA by the door latches. Details details. I recommend that you take a day and visit the factory in New Britain Ct. You will see the details that make it a superior machine. That car in California is a very special one - man I wouldn't let that one get away. My opinion, and hey, it's fun to look.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

I agree with Rickd - if you want a pre-built 427, that's the one to grab. Unlikely a better deal will come along anytime soon.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

You guys did a great job of leading the horse to water. Now it's up to him to drink. Sounds to me like he's not quite ready to drink (buy).