Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 05:22 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Default ERA ad idea: IE: I'm so unloved these days

As always, in order to sell a Cobra these days you need to step up to the plate and think of some unique ways to catch a potential buyers attention. I had a dream last night and somewhere around 3am I grabbed the pad on the side of my bed and wrote the following (no Freudian interpretation needed thank you, I already know I'm nuts )

"I'm so unloved these days, my owner no longer has that gleam in his eye when he views me. I've seen him on his computer lately, while he has yet to cheat on me, he lusts after that stunning 289FIA listed here, I know he wants her badly, and that he is ready to divorce me and go chasing after another. Now I don't want you to think he is abusing me, he does take me out for drives in the country as much as possible, and he does keep me clean and well fed with 93 octane fuel and fresh redline oils, but it's just not the same. Someone buy me who can appreciate my beauty, someone buy me who can appreciate the power of my 2X4 Tunnelport headed 427 sideoiler engine. Someone buy me and stroke the toploader 4spd gearshift, make me purr one minute and roar the next. Someone buy me and save me from a life of neglected love....."

Then I'd go into the details on the car.....What do you guys think?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-02-2010, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

You feeling ok, Bill?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I can't believe this car hasn't sold. What are prospective buyers thinking? This has got to be one of the best deals out there.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
You feeling ok, Bill?
I am, but looked at the pad this morning and thought to myself "I really have a great imagination".......Of course I read it to my wife (we are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary this summer) who thought I was nuts.....I told her I was going to post it here and see what type of responses I get...

Bill S.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

My advise is to drink heavily..........
Old 06-02-2010, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell BB 429 (Sold) Contemporary Cobra CCX3682
Not Ranked     
Default Hmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
As always, in order to sell a Cobra these days you need to step up to the plate and think of some unique ways to catch a potential buyers attention. I had a dream last night and somewhere around 3am I grabbed the pad on the side of my bed and wrote the following (no Freudian interpretation needed thank you, I already know I'm nuts )

"I'm so unloved these days, my owner no longer has that gleam in his eye when he views me. I've seen him on his computer lately, while he has yet to cheat on me, he lusts after that stunning 289FIA listed here, I know he wants her badly, and that he is ready to divorce me and go chasing after another. Now I don't want you to think he is abusing me, he does take me out for drives in the country as much as possible, and he does keep me clean and well fed with 93 octane fuel and fresh redline oils, but it's just not the same. Someone buy me who can appreciate my beauty, someone buy me who can appreciate the power of my 2X4 Tunnelport headed 427 sideoiler engine. Someone buy me and stroke the toploader 4spd gearshift, make me purr one minute and roar the next. Someone buy me and save me from a life of neglected love....."

Then I'd go into the details on the car.....What do you guys think?

Bill S.
Yep! It's official Bill, you're nuts!

No seriously, that ERA should have sold 3 times over by now!

Keep at it my friend, as they say, there is a bum for every seat!

Stef
Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

very nice car

brobehr
Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Holliday Motorsport/396 GM / 4 speed / Jag rearend
Not Ranked     

What ever it takes--right. When i buy something the first thing i think is -- What's wrong with it? Why is this guy getting rid of it? If i know that he's just moving on, it helps me to know thathe just lost interest and i'm not buying his problem just helping him get on to his next project. Vety nice -- by the way.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Bill,

Obviously you are asking for opinions on your idea, so here goes.

I think at best it is just a cute idea.

I think presenting good pictures of the car along with easy to read specifications should be all that is required.

I don't like the picture you posted in this thread BTW - the rear fenders look very Factory Fivish for some reason and the car isn't placed in a scene that makes people think about how much fun it would be to drive......it should be parked at the start of some twisty roads with a the drivers door open!

It also needs to be lowered about an inch and a half.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I agree with Pat about the stance. Picture is not doing you justice. The green color would look better lakeside on a sunny day with blue sky early morning or late afternoon when the sun is low. Read Curt Scotts photo tips at Cobra Country. Also you say "aggressivly priced to sell at $$$$ firm" drop the "firm" it comes across as stubborn and is a turn off. I'm trying to be constructive since you asked for some opinions. I'm in no way trying to bash you or your car. I think your car is awsome. Good luck.

John
Old 06-02-2010, 08:24 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Pat,

Thanks, that is exactly the type of feedback I was fishing for. Picture wise I suck, I am not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination. The picture above shows as close to true color instead of the pictures I took this weekend which show the car as a much lighter green

Thanks for the feedback. Let's keep it coming.

Bill S.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatBuckley View Post
Bill,

Obviously you are asking for opinions on your idea, so here goes.
I think at best it is just a cute idea.

...It also needs to be lowered about an inch and a half.
To further Pat's comments, I offer my opinions as he does-in the spirit of well-meaning criticism.

I second most of his thoughts with these additions. The car has poor (but new-appearing) tires, aluminum wheels, and a 500HP Tunnel Port which has little historic/power inducement in a replica. A 600HP set-up would. At chassis #188, the car is a 'non'bar' car, meaning the older version. Full bar cars can command higher prices, in conjunction with greater content. The dearth of real buyers has indicated that the car needs greater content to command such an ask price.

It's a really nicely assembled early car with excellent finish and appearance-but "aggressively priced" would be below 40K IMO.

As a 20+year owner, it pains me to see so nice an ERA not trade.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Bill,

Clever AD … might just work!

This may seem like a stupid question ( so I'll apologize in advance ) but along with a different approach to the AD, have you tried advertising in other places aside from Club Cobra? Maybe casting a wider net would find the right person for your car.

For the photos, as mentioned above, Curt Scott's photo guide is excellent. Also maybe try a different camera (borrow one?) or exposure setting, as color response and fidelity can vary from camera to camera. Also, try some shots on a overcast day, or just as the sun sets for more even lighting to bring out the true color of the car.

It's a great Cobra at a great price, that's for sure! I hope you find a good home for ERA 188 … I know how much you lust after an FIA
Old 06-02-2010, 08:54 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
To further Pat's comments, I offer my opinions as he does-in the spirit of well-meaning criticism.

I second most of his thoughts with these additions. The car has poor (but new-appearing) tires, aluminum wheels, and a 500HP Tunnel Port which has little historic/power inducement in a replica. A 600HP set-up would. At chassis #188, the car is a 'non'bar' car, meaning the older version. Full bar cars can command higher prices, in conjunction with greater content. The dearth of real buyers has indicated that the car needs greater content to command such an ask price.

It's a really nicely assembled early car with excellent finish and appearance-but "aggressively priced" would be below 40K IMO.

As a 20+year owner, it pains me to see so nice an ERA not trade.
HP is conservative as I do not have easy access to a chassis dyno here in my area of PA. better to underestimate than overestimate as far as I am concerned. Tires are for the street and have less than 500 miles on them (being less than a year old and purchased when I got the new Trigo wheels towards the middle of the summer). I do not see this as a track car, but instead a really nice well built driver (semi show car as I do not feel like detailing it weekly(daily)..........I'm not willing to lose money on the car just so I can buy someone elses FIA (now I have two to lust over).Break even, sure, but lose money, not going to happen...if it sells before the two FIA's do, great, if not, then I'll most likely take it off the market and put my FFR up for sale instead......Again I appreciate the response as this is why I made the post in the first place.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Bill,

Clever AD … might just work!

This may seem like a stupid question ( so I'll apologize in advance ) but along with a different approach to the AD, have you tried advertising in other places aside from Club Cobra? Maybe casting a wider net would find the right person for your car.

For the photos, as mentioned above, Curt Scott's photo guide is excellent. Also maybe try a different camera (borrow one?) or exposure setting, as color response and fidelity can vary from camera to camera. Also, try some shots on a overcast day, or just as the sun sets for more even lighting to bring out the true color of the car.

It's a great Cobra at a great price, that's for sure! I hope you find a good home for ERA 188 … I know how much you lust after an FIA

I need an overcast day when it is not pouring and I can get home before the sun goes down, no doubt about it. I'm going to take better shots per Curt's excellent web page instructions, might even list it on his web site, just depends how quickly I want to sell it.

Thanks,

Bill S.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Chas hit it

Bill

the car is beautiful...but ERA Chas nailed it..and please take this with a grain of salt ...(and a stiff drink)..a newer ERA has had some improvements that your car does not..the price you are asking is not that far away from a new ERA built to how an owner would like..if you have $45K to spend you most likely have $50K to buy new and set up how you want it (color, interior, motor etc..Jag rear end vs. ERA rear end)..I appreciate you not wanting to lose $$$...but Bill this is a car not a mutual fund!...most cars depreciate...you buy and sell all the time..there is certainly a better market for these toys in the $20K to $30K range then $40K to $50K (unless its an original classic, and even those have lost significant value in these times, I think you even said your business is down 30%...?...peoples disposable income has also decreased)...
Old 06-02-2010, 11:23 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
Bill

the car is beautiful...but ERA Chas nailed it..and please take this with a grain of salt ...(and a stiff drink)..a newer ERA has had some improvements that your car does not..the price you are asking is not that far away from a new ERA built to how an owner would like..if you have $45K to spend you most likely have $50K to buy new and set up how you want it (color, interior, motor etc..Jag rear end vs. ERA rear end)..I appreciate you not wanting to lose $$$...but Bill this is a car not a mutual fund!...most cars depreciate...you buy and sell all the time..there is certainly a better market for these toys in the $20K to $30K range then $40K to $50K (unless its an original classic, and even those have lost significant value in these times, I think you even said your business is down 30%...?...peoples disposable income has also decreased)...
yes and no, I do agree with some things you are saying, but show me where you could find a car with my drivetrain for less? There are 427 center oilers, and 428 CJ cars out there, but not many sideoiler powered ERA's currently on the market. Again, I can wait, it's not a fire sale, yes I'd like one of the two current FIA's listed for sale here, but if I don't sell, I don't sell. I guess that to me is the differences right now. Eventually I'll find the right buyer who loves what he sees. Usually the first person who comes to look at it buys it. In this case it will be the second person, as the first person I took out for a ride and it started to drizzle, and he flipped out asking me how I could drive the car in anything but perfect weather (he was one of those who diaper wipes his daily driver when he gets home, or at least that is what his wife told mine while we were out for a spin). The car is what it is, a nicely built, well taken care of weekend driver. Either you love it as it is, or you do not. As for price, many out there cannot squeeze that extra 5K and then only have a roller, some can, again, that is not for me to say one way or the other. Once again, I do appreciate your insight on this thread.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Another vote for Cobra Country. That's where I found my beast many moons ago. And if I ever decide to sell it, I will use Curt's excellent photography advice. Rich

Last edited by badrich; 06-02-2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Forgot a "y"
Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Bill, I agree with Rich. I found Cobra Country before I found out about Club Cobra. I think you would find a much larger audience who is on the net to buy (or dream to buy).
Old 06-02-2010, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Bill, I know this may not be helpful, but I do not think you could do that much more to move the car aside from getting more exposure. Just a matter of finding the "right" buyer. Your pictures and description are in the top percentile compared to many I have seen on the market. Like I said in our phone conversation, if my dream cobra was a 427 car I would have sent you a hold deposit already! Hang in there.