Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

All good information for new folks to consider before jumping in. I wanted to do a "mild" build so it wouldn't take forever so got ERA's body-on option and had it professionally painted. So, it took exactly a year to get it on the road from the time I picked it up. For me, it was a great compromise. I didn't build the entire car like what Dan is doing, for example. But the car is done MY way and I did enough of it myself to satisfy the build part and learned a lot in the process.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

Building my own ERA 427 = Expensive
Having ERA build my wife's Slabside = More Expensive
If wife's car breaks down, pointing my finger at Doug = PRICELESS
J.Jensen likes this.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky781 View Post

I'll bet Bob will be tempted to print that out and hand it to Doug...
Old 01-09-2014, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky781 View Post
Now that's Funny!!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

So being a newbie with ERA 714, I am pretty happy. The 427 motor rocks, starts every time holds oil pressure, lots of hp and torque, runs the right temperature, is very loud, smells a little rich, and is fulfilling a dream. The Eagle GTII tires are so so and I have some other minor things to address. I don't mind working on the small things.. I wish summer was here as I only got to drive 200 cold miles on it. Started it up tonight and moved around in the garage so the tires don''t get flat spots.

Looking forward to cruises in the summer.

Phil
Old 01-10-2014, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Phil I know it's hard to be patient but summer will be here before you know it. My ERA is 33 years old so you still have plenty of time to put lots of miles on your car.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
So being a newbie with ERA 714, I am pretty happy. The 427 motor rocks, starts every time holds oil pressure, lots of hp and torque, runs the right temperature, is very loud, smells a little rich, and is fulfilling a dream. The Eagle GTII tires are so so and I have some other minor things to address. I don't mind working on the small things.. I wish summer was here as I only got to drive 200 cold miles on it. Started it up tonight and moved around in the garage so the tires don''t get flat spots.

Looking forward to cruises in the summer.

Phil
We need pictures
Old 01-11-2014, 06:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
... smells a little rich
I know exactly what you mean, but you can't go by your nose or your stinging eyes. Here, read this: 332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum: Dual quad rich mixture. I used to use a vacuum gauge on my Holley to adjust it, but the last time I tried something new, just on a whim, recommended by an old Ford tech, and it worked nicely. But you know, I wouldn't do anything on your car until you've put a good 500 miles on it. And nice, gentle, baby miles at that, none of this "drive it like you stole it" crap. Baby the first 500.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
But you know, I wouldn't do anything on your car until you've put a good 500 miles on it. And nice, gentle, baby miles at that, none of this "drive it like you stole it" crap. Baby the first 500.
Let me disabuse you of this myth so you stop passing it to newbs like you know what you're talking about.
In the case of engines that are dynoed before installation, that is not needed at all. It's already been broken-in and tested to its RPM limits on the dyno. Look at Lipton's thread by Brent and see 7000RPM in the first 1/2 hour of its life. If an engine is installed that has not been run-in or tested then a dyno regimen of 20 minutes at 1800-2500 RPM followed by leak checks, spring changes, adjustments and oil change in the car is sufficient.
If you mean the entire chassis and drivetrain, 500 miles are not needed to mate new parts in the trans, rear or clutch.
What is of paramount importance is that the engine and drivetrain be brought to operating temps before any performance driving. And that's true for the life of the components.
If you're really talking about a new owner's learning curve with high-power, short wheelbase cars then you're correct. They need to work into the car's envelope carefully regardless of the other high performance experience they may have had.
1795 likes this.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:31 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Let me disabuse you of this myth so you stop passing it to newbs like you know what you're talking about.
You should know that I don't make a statement like that without having documentation in my back pocket....

For instance, from the Tremec Installation Tips:

A 500-mile break-in period will prevent premature wear and possible damage to the transmission. During the break-in period, you must avoid high RPM shifts and drag starts. http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TKO_Ins...ps_117_117.pdf

I had a couple of other parts on my overall driveline that said the same thing. But, of course, one is all you need....
Old 01-11-2014, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post

A 500-mile break-in period will prevent premature wear and possible damage to the transmission. During the break-in period, you must avoid high RPM shifts and drag starts. http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TKO_Ins...ps_117_117.pdf
And you should know that I never suggest anything that I haven't done myself before.
Your example cautions against drag racing and road racing. Not full RPM or high speed. It's the degree of use that matters and temps achieved. Drag and road racing are degrees of ABuse.
Your 'baby for 500 miles' and 'drive like stolen' have a huge hole in them. Both are extremes and not maximum benefit for parts.
It's not a Mobil Economy Run -method (remember? foot on egg on gas pedal??) anymore-these are high performance parts. All they need is operating temps.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
And you should know that I never suggest anything that I haven't done myself before.
And Centerforce cautions on the exact same line with their instructional video on proper clutch seating and break in. https://www.centerforce.com/technolo...rce-university Considering he has already put 200 miles on it, why would he not want to "baby it" for a couple of hundred more miles and, accordingly, follow numerous manufacturers' recommendations in the process? Once again, I'm right and you're wrong. I win again.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Centerforce clutches are for Marys. Take off your dickhat and let's stop now-it's the OP's thread about missing an ERA. We'll get yelled at.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am still kicking myself for selling a 1000 shares of Netflix last spring for $70 now that its $330, about a $260K opportunity cost!!!!!

I am still kicking myself for not buying a "new" spf with Roush 402R for 51K about 3 years ago!! The car was like new!!!!!!!!!! It had 200 miles on it.

I am still kicking myself for not taking advantage of college party life more.

I am still kicking myself for working 36 hrs work weeks while in high school.

I am still kicking myself for running this morning instead of staying in bed and trying to tap some.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I'm starting to kick myself for continuing to follow this thread.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:17 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaluv View Post
I'm starting to kick myself for continuing to follow this thread.
Yes quite a tangent, but not unusual considering the two of three that must play king of the mountain

They have a wealth of information and knowledge between them, yet they lose their credibility by allowing their ego to get the better of them.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 01-11-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Old 01-11-2014, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Yes quite a tangent, but not unusual considering the two of three that must play king of the mountain

They have a wealth of information and knowledge between them, yet they lose their credibility by allowing their ego to get the better of them.
Bill S.
A sense of humor does not kill credibility Bill.
But anybody who puts 'Mr.' before his screen name is seeking some type of status elevation. Or maybe just an ego boost...
Old 08-12-2014, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

You forgot to mention that you rebuilt the engine in your new for sale ad. When it sold for 42K last year, it had 1400 miles on it, the same mileage that's on it now. Do you have documentation to show what was done during the rebuild? I know someone who is interested, but they would want to see that paperwork.

Last edited by sea2jet; 08-15-2014 at 01:42 PM..
Old 08-13-2014, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

PhotoPost Classifieds - ERA 427 with Stroker sideoiler loaded with options - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

I knew this car looked familiar!!!
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear