Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA2076 View Post

I just don't spend studying tires yet. I know we have something to get started with.

G7 - ?????.

chr
Click on the PDF in this link to RKR:
Roger Kraus Racing - Pricing
Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I hope Heaven feels this good.

You definately need to consider some sportier driving shoes though.
Ralphy likes this.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

Dig the 550 chord. Best laces I've had bar none.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bottom of the pedals. The standoff height is .075 the alum cover is.050

Top left corner of foot box.

Will start working on a cover for the lids tomorrow.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Far enough to start fitting with shoes. I was able to move the pedals forward with not too much bend in my legs. Completely relaxed I can open the throttle to the stop using only my ankle but we need an angled heel stop in front.

We are going to try to fit the steering column and see what will be required. The seat is all the way against the bulkhead, but I think my arms may be too short. I noticed in the manual there is some adjustment so maybe we get lucky. I remember the steering wheel was really far forward.

Is there any length adjustment in the column?

Last edited by ERA2076; 01-14-2014 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Nice progress

Question ... how will you route the lines from the reservoirs to the master cylinders?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stainless flex with adequate length for full travel. bundle as needed and fix as needed to control placement. It all stays in front. I thought about running hard line from the res to a fixed distribution block and then flex from there to the cylinders, but the guy's I work with think the pedal assembly will be easier to move with more slack in the system.

We will run the pressure switch under the car. I am sure there are a few guy's wiping up puke, but there is upside.

The cylinders are elevated higher in the system with respect to the calipers. The res is isolated from the headers.
I can have a clean firewall.
I can have a clean wheel house.
We can see the level indicators.
Local compact system.
The lower pedal box is gone - I can cleanly sheet that side of the car (bottom aero)

Once the dash is installed it won't matter except to ERA purists (God bless em all). I'll finish with the three caps exposed. Since most of the race cars started as street cars we are well within the Cobra spirit.

From ERA website "it is difficult to assemble this kit wrong"
Old 01-15-2014, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Yes, there is considerable adjustment available in the steering column - at least a couple of inches roughly from memory.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

As Dan said, there is considerable adjustment available in the steering column. You may also consider moving the seat forward one notch (I assume you have seat tracks). That won't change things enough to mess up your plans to use a head pad on the roll bar as you mentioned earlier and will give you more latitude with the steering wheel adjustment. Obviously you don't want your arms to be straight out unless you're incredibly strong...
Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... Once the dash is installed it won't matter except to ERA purists (God bless em all). ...
Those pesky purists ...

I suppose if one wanted to, the traditional three cans on the inner left front fender could be plumbed to the new brake & clutch master cylinder set up. Your reservoir / brake line set up should work well, and it's your car ...

Once it's all installed and set up, I would be curious to know if there is any change in brake pedal effort, either more or less pedal pressure needed to stop quickly, based on your previous experience with the stock configuration.

Keep those photos coming!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

kevins2 = we are hard mounting a Kirkey - no sliders. We will need room for the seat back brace so that will move the seat forward a little.

Dan - the pedal ratio is higher than stock (5.0). The pedal assembly adjusts from 5.25 to 5.75. I plan to make it the pedal as hard as I can within my strength limitations. It is easier and more consistent for me for me to modulate the brakes and manage the throttle if the brake pedal is hard. I plan to tune around the 5.75 ratio. The pedal assembly comes with the throttle pedal offset to the rear. Tilton suggests setting the throttle face in the same plane as the the brake pedal when the brake pedal is fully depressed to allow smooth movement back to the throttle after braking.

Great to know there is column adjustment - we might just be where we need without further compromise.

chr
Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

ERA 2076 .... don`t know if the FIA cars use the same pedal assembly and ratios as the 427 cars , but Bob P. at ERA told me the pedal ratio on the 427 cars was 5.5 : 1 .... at least for my chassis my, #757 . Should also be the same for all 427 SC cars .

Bob
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
ERA 2076 .... don`t know if the FIA cars use the same pedal assembly and ratios as the 427 cars , but Bob P. at ERA told me the pedal ratio on the 427 cars was 5.5 : 1 .... at least for my chassis my, #757 . Should also be the same for all 427 SC cars .

Bob
hmm - I measured. Perhaps I made a mistake - I will check again.

chr
Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

5.62:1 According to my CAD drawings.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

5.62 on the FIA and the 427 SC or just the FIA car ??
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I re-measuered on a steel table and twice I got the ratio above 5.6. Means little as it is not properly fixtured to get an accurate measurement. I trust Bobs process is centered around his model with reasonable distribution.

A little disappointing as I was hoping to gain more leverage, but hats off to Bob for building it right to begin with and I do remember the pedal being firm. The only time I stood on the brakes was in the rain going uphill on a 180d switch back and it spun the car immediately and I was not nearly quick enough to catch it (UPHILL). I blew up the motor shortly after so that squelched my learning.

if you guy's could help me with the simple stufF - my Metrology skills have always been lacking - I do not have the patients over long periods of time (anything greater than about a minute anymore- I was better when I was younger).

Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
5.62 on the FIA and the 427 SC or just the FIA car ??
They are the same.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I do not have the patients over long periods of time (anything greater than about a minute anymore- I was better when I was younger).
Sure you do-you've been hacking on this one for a year now...
Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Sure you do-you've been hacking on this one for a year now...
I'm good at hacking - it is my measurement skills that are in question.

Last edited by ERA2076; 01-16-2014 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2014, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On hacking - we have a really nice place to work on the car. As I was leaving last night I went into take one more look and the lights were off except one overhead so I took some pictures - a Cobra is such a beautiful machine.

We are building a new fuel door - [Carrol Smith - Tune to Win - external aero]. I should pull the lift a dots, but can't bring myself to do it.

Started seat mounting yesterday. As you can see all of the wiring is being moved to the glove box with modern fuses. The ammeter goes. I had British Sports cars as a kid and I just can't have all of that current running thru the dash.

Shocks rotated outboard [Carrol Smith - Tune to Win - Suspension] Still have to scrub out the wheel houses.

I plan to run a clean firewall except for the vintage puke tank.

So I got screwed on this door. I do not know what kind of mastic was used here but it is mean. If anyone has an idea for removal that would preserve the paint please share - as I've now I plan to have it refinished which is a real bummer because the car was originally purchased as a roller and ERA's body assembly is beautiful. I just hate to mess with it which is why I have not. I keep thinking the universe will provide a solution.