Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Spindle compatibility - large front brakes - ERA

ERA 488 has Cobra PBR brakes with 13" rotors. I have detailed photos of the setup in the album below to reference. I would like to go back to stock ERA brakes so I can use 15" wheels. Can I use the existing spindles, or can you tell from the photos if they have been modified to accommodate the larger brakes?

What parts do I need to go back to standard brakes, please?

Troy

More photos here of brakes and spindles:
SPINDLES
Old 07-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Here are the instructions and parts numbers for the switch over to the two "big brake" options. I believe the spindles remain the same.
http://erareplicas.com/427man/brakes...conversion.pdf
Old 07-11-2016, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you Patrick. I have that same document and it's what is at the bottom that concerns me:

Upright Modifications:
Cut the original caliper mounting ears off the upright (see illustration on the next page) with an oxy-acetylene cutting torch. The template shows the approximate areas that must be removed to clear the mounting ears. Flip the template over for the opposite side. Finish off the cut areas with a grinder. Before you paint your upright, check the fit of the bracket and caliper.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm providing all the photos as I'm not sure if my uprights were cut since my brakes are NOT the same as the SIERRA big brakes referenced in the document. I'm hoping somebody can confirm if I can still use these spindles, and if not - what specific parts I need to go back to standard brakes.

It's looks trimmed to me in this photo - so are the mounting holes for the standard calipers now missing or is there an adapter available to make them work?

Thanks,
Troy

Last edited by 66gtk; 07-11-2016 at 12:43 PM..
Old 07-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I have the Sierras, for what little help that is. But I believe the spindles are just GM parts, so even if they were munged up by the last guy, the replacement cost is not going to break the bank.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just an FYI. I don't know what size rotors ERA uses but I fit 12.19" rotors on my Hurricane with 15" Trigos.
Larry
Old 07-11-2016, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Troy,

Your spindles certainly look like the GM spindles that ERA used before they started making their own. That is good.

The bad news is, it looks like the original GM mounting ears have been cut away. I don't think a GM caliper will fit. There is nothing to mount to.

The spindles are from a mid 70's Camaro. Or you could get new ones from ERA.

John
Old 07-11-2016, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The floating calipers shown were never part of our optional setup. We always used rigidly-mounted calipers: Sierra and then Wilwood Superlites or their equivalent. If the adapter plates use the original holes in the upright or the original holes aren't damaged, we should be able to mount the Wilwoods on your upright. Used with 12.1" rotors, they fit inside 15" wheels.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Did some research and here's what I came up with for parts - all Wilwood (please let me know if this is all wrong).

Calipers: Wilwood 120-11130 (symetrical)
Pads: 150-8854K
Rotors:160-2894 (RH), 160-2895 (LH)
Hats: I'm hoping that my current ones will work? If not, any guidance on what I need? Again, I have a 6 PIN setup.

I may also need new adapters and brake lines it seems.

Thanks!
Troy

Last edited by 66gtk; 07-11-2016 at 09:15 PM..
Old 07-12-2016, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA 351W, B & B 427 Cobra, 331 Stroker,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Just an FYI. I don't know what size rotors ERA uses but I fit 12.19" rotors on my Hurricane with 15" Trigos.
Larry
I'm looking at a 6 piston kit from Wilwood (140-10738) that has 12.19" rotors and am planning on the Trigo 5 pin hub adapters. Is this the same as what you are using? What spindles does the Hurricane use?

Kim
Old 07-12-2016, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akimbeau View Post
I'm looking at a 6 piston kit from Wilwood (140-10738) that has 12.19" rotors and am planning on the Trigo 5 pin hub adapters. Is this the same as what you are using? What spindles does the Hurricane use?

Kim
Close to what I'm using except I have Dynalites. No fitment issues. Hurricane spindles are Mustang II. It took some doing but I have zero offset hubs so the track width isn't increased. Yours may be different and offset may not be an issue for you. Just note what Wilwood says about it and make sure it works before ordering.
Larry
Old 07-12-2016, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA 351W, B & B 427 Cobra, 331 Stroker,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Close to what I'm using except I have Dynalites. No fitment issues. Hurricane spindles are Mustang II. It took some doing but I have zero offset hubs so the track width isn't increased. Yours may be different and offset may not be an issue for you. Just note what Wilwood says about it and make sure it works before ordering.
Larry
Thanks, Larry...doing the research now.

Troy, I'm looking to do the same thing to my front, get the biggest brakes that will fit in the 15" wheel. I could be wrong but looks to me like you have the GM spindles that have been modified. Fortunately, I believe the modification is the same as what is needed to mount Wilwood calipers. See photo. The question is, how big of a caliper can you go? I'm pretty sure we will be limited to the 12.19" rotor. The Wilwood 140-10738 caliper kit is what I'm looking at but like Larry said I need to call Wilwood and verify the overall clearance, and then compare to the inside of my wheel at the spot the caliper will run. Trouble is I'm not buying the new wheels for a while so I'm hoping to hitch a ride on your mod to see what you come up with.

Kim
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2016, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Did some research and here's what I came up with for parts - all Wilwood (please let me know if this is all wrong).

Calipers: Wilwood 120-11130 (symetrical)
http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cali...emno=120-11130
Pads: 150-8854K
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakePads/Bra...emno=150-8854K
Rotors:160-2894 (RH), 160-2895 (LH)
http://www.wilwood.com/Rotors/RotorP...temno=160-2894
Hats: I'm hoping that my current ones will work? If not, any guidance on what I need? Again, I have a 6 PIN setup.

I may also need new adapters and brake lines it seems.

Thanks!
Troy
Bob... Can you kindly shed some light on if you think the above will work / fit? What are the specs on the Wilwoods you are now using to replace the Sierras?

Thanks
Troy

Last edited by 66gtk; 10-15-2016 at 07:45 AM..
Old 10-16-2016, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll have to check your part numbers on Monday.

We always made our own hats for the conversion. If you've got the 6-pin system, you'll need them. For Bolt-on wheels, I've got a new method that uses all new off-the-shelf parts, and it's relatively cheap.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
I'll have to check your part numbers on Monday.

We always made our own hats for the conversion. If you've got the 6-pin system, you'll need them. For Bolt-on wheels, I've got a new method that uses all new off-the-shelf parts, and it's relatively cheap.
Thank you. Much appreciated! Yes, I have the 6 PIN system. I'm not sure if the HATs currently on the car are from the original Sierra installation my car came with from ERA or the PBR that is currently on there. I was thinking/hoping they would work with the Wilwoods I specified above?

Also, if it helps nail things down better, these particular calipers are available in either a 1.25, 1.38, 1.62 or 1.75 Bore size. If they fit, which would work best with the master cylinders I have stock - installed on #488?

All this information will help me get my car closer to putting 15s back on there without having it be cost prohibitive. Again, I really appreciate the technical assistance!

Phill Pollard likes this.

Last edited by 66gtk; 10-16-2016 at 07:26 AM..
Old 10-18-2016, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A Friendly Tuesday bump. I'll also include a glamour shot I took of #472 (different car) showing my inspiration to returning to 15" wheels. (:
Pete Munroe and 1985 CCX like this.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Thank you. Much appreciated! Yes, I have the 6 PIN system. I'm not sure if the HATs currently on the car are from the original Sierra installation my car came with from ERA or the PBR that is currently on there. I was thinking/hoping they would work with the Wilwoods I specified above?

Also, if it helps nail things down better, these particular calipers are available in either a 1.25, 1.38, 1.62 or 1.75 Bore size. If they fit, which would work best with the master cylinders I have stock - installed on #488?

All this information will help me get my car closer to putting 15s back on there without having it be cost prohibitive. Again, I really appreciate the technical assistance!

It looks like you're using our hat, so the conversion to smaller discs shouldn't be too hard. You might even be able to use your current caliper (assuming it will fit around a 1.25"-wide rotor), if there's room to move it in 1/2" with a new bracket. Your rotor number should work, but we use the heavier-style 160-11836 variation.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for that information. Current rotors may already be 1.25" or very close. Not sure how to go about sourcing a bracket. I'll use the heavier duty rotors and I appreciate that part number information. Any idea if the caliper I specified from Wilwood will work/fit? If so, which bore size do you recommend?

Last edited by 66gtk; 10-18-2016 at 12:34 PM..
Old 10-18-2016, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

According to the spec sheet for those caliper, their piston diameter is 1.96". We recommend 4 x 1.75" or 2 x 1.75" plus 2 x 1.875". On the other hand, their spec sheet might be wrong. At any rate, you can probably compensate by adjusting the balance bar, but it's going to be close.

Assuming your upright is modified as per our normal instructions, we can supply the intermediate caliper mounting bridges.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

They offer a 4 x 1.75 with this caliper. Id be interested in a bracket if it helps me reuse my calipers or new Wilwoods if that becomes necessary. Thanks

Troy