Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by desgros@vtlink. View Post
Andrew,

I did have a leaking hydraulic throw out bearing on my 289 Slabside. It was a HORROR! Should it happen again it will switched to a fork setup.
John

ERA Slabside #3010 289 BRG
Which brand of TOB? When was the failure? According to Peter they haven't had any reported issues for several years, but I remain skeptical.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

The throw out bearing that came with the Slabside. Happened last year with about 3,000 miles on the car.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Hey Bob....which brand of HTOB?
(I haven't bought one yet).

Cheers,
Glen
Old 01-17-2019, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3012
Not Ranked     

It looks like things are lining up to install the engine in the car this weekend. Any tips I should be aware of? Bellhousing on or off? Go in from the front or side?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
It looks like things are lining up to install the engine in the car this weekend. Any tips I should be aware of? Bellhousing on or off? Go in from the front or side?
Straight in, bellhousing on, and here's a pic of a friend's ERA having it dropped in with a Kubota.

cobra, AndrewB and LMH like this.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I went in from the side but it's kind of up to you depending on your equipment. I did the install by myself so that could be a factor also. I installed the clutch but left the bellhousing off. If you haven't now is the time to check your bellhousing for runout and trial fit the transmission while it's easy to do so.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. It's good to know that both directions is possible. I think I would rather go in from the front of the car, but I need to take some measurements to see if my hoist will reach. Nothing like hanging ~500lbs over your car to get the blood pumping!

Checked the bellhousing already - see here. I should probably trial fit the transmission just in case though.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The engines go in to the ERA bay easier than most cars. Not having to squeeze the transmission in helps as well. If you're renting an "unknown lift" from the rent-a-tool place, practice a little with some sort of object a little bit before pick up the real thing.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The engines go in to the ERA bay easier than most cars. Not having to squeeze the transmission in helps as well. If you're renting an "unknown lift" from the rent-a-tool place, practice a little with some sort of object a little bit before pick up the real thing.
Especially when using an unknown crane, a trial run is wise to see the engine hook above or behind the engine mounts in the chassis without hitting the front of the car with the crane.

Gary
Old 01-17-2019, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #3014; 331 CID SBF
Not Ranked     

Looks like removing the hood is necessary even when coming in from the side. Any issues (and tips for resolving them) regarding panel alignment when reinstalling the hood after engine installation?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

So, to confirm, you can't install the engine and the trans together, correct?

Last edited by dacobb; 01-17-2019 at 05:02 PM..
Old 01-17-2019, 05:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacobb View Post
So you can install the engine and trans together?

I was told you can't.
No you don't drop the engine in with the trans bolted to it, but it's easier that way. You don't have to "tilt and snake" the engine and transmission in to the bay and tunnel. Instead, you basically just drop the damn thing right on top of the mounts and then bolt the transmission up from the cabin side.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

… and you align the hood from the outside, then, via the inside or coming in through the grille, bolt the hinges up.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No you don't drop the engine in with the trans bolted to it, but it's easier that way. You don't have to "tilt and snake" the engine and transmission in to the bay and tunnel. Instead, you basically just drop the damn thing right on top of the mounts and then bolt the transmission up from the cabin side.
OK, got it. That's what I thought.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2092
Not Ranked     

I just reinstalled mine in 2092 went in from the side , bellhousing was attached to trans. I was able to leave the hood on, I left the motor mounts off till I had the block bolted to the bellhousing then slid the mounts in place. I agree you should do a dry run with your engine crane to make sure the boom is long enough. Hope this helps
Old 01-17-2019, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you want to be accurate to original, you install the engine and transmission as a unit!
Larry

Old 01-17-2019, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Before I took off the hood I went around the hood mounts with painters tape (and made sure to note which shims went on which side), so we'll see how close I can get when it goes back on.

Larry, that's funny you posted that as I was just looking though the Dave Friedman collection earlier this evening and I saw that picture and went "Hmmm, I wonder..."
Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fintubi View Post
Looks like removing the hood is necessary even when coming in from the side. Any issues (and tips for resolving them) regarding panel alignment when reinstalling the hood after engine installation?
Before removing the hood, outline the hinge brackets with blue painters tape. The tape will help you locate the brackets when you reinstall the hood. You might have to tweak the position a little, but it will get you very close. I did this on both hood andvtrunk lid.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
If you want to be accurate to original, you install the engine and transmission as a unit!
Larry

That looks like the body is being installed onto the engine/transmission unit, not the other way around!

I think we should all do it that way ('cos I'll have to)

Cheers!
Glen
Old 01-18-2019, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Engine and trans as one unit, is always easier with the front end on the ground and the rear end as high as you can.

Done it that way a few times.

Gary