Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2018, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Glad you got your paint fixed! Have fun with the rest of the build. You only get to do it once.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Wondering if the frame from era is the same for Slabside, 427 and FIA? Anyone know?

Are the dimensions of the slab and the FIA much different other than the flares?
Old 10-01-2018, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Andrew,
I just caught up on your build. It's beautiful. I was looking at the FFR 289 FIA and happened upon ERA and am now edging toward that direction. I've ordered the electronic version of the Builder's Manual and will look it over.

I look forward to seeing the completion of your build and will be looking forward to your completion.

Terry
Old 10-02-2018, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
Wondering if the frame from era is the same for Slabside, 427 and FIA? Anyone know?

Are the dimensions of the slab and the FIA much different other than the flares?
All of them have same the basic frame layout, but the 427's outriggers and cowl supports are different. The only difference between the Slabside and the FIA are some rear body support tubes that have been moved inboard to accommodate a narrower rear track.
66gtk likes this.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgandy View Post
Andrew,
I just caught up on your build. It's beautiful. I was looking at the FFR 289 FIA and happened upon ERA and am now edging toward that direction. I've ordered the electronic version of the Builder's Manual and will look it over.

I look forward to seeing the completion of your build and will be looking forward to your completion.

Terry
Terry,
You are definitely (in my opinion) heading in the right direction--ERA has all the right stuff. My only advice is to get the process started years before you want it to end if you're doing a build--it is a very slow process.

Evan
Old 10-02-2018, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Strictly,

Is there information regarding the comparative dimensions of the ERA 427, FIA and Slab?

Mostly curious about the overall width of a FIA vs a Slab...
Old 10-02-2018, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Look at the Specifications of both cars:
FIA width (maximum): 68"
289/FIA Specifications

Slabside: 61"
ERA Slabside Specifications
Old 10-02-2018, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

typically the FIA has 245 15s tires upfront and 295 15s in the rear; what tire sizes are standard for the Slab? will a 295 fit on the rear of the Slab?
Old 10-02-2018, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3012
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Andrew,

Terry
Hi Terry,

Thank you. I look forward to it as well . As soon as you decide to go ERA, and you definitely should, send in your deposit ASAP as it'll take awhile.

RE: Tires
I'll be using 215-70-15 Avon's all around. I don't believe there is any way a 295 will fit under the street flares without getting creative with the sawzall.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, I'll be making a major move in about 18 months, so I can't start anything until then. I've made my hotel reservation for the 2019 London Cobra Show and hope to see some ERA's there. I wish there were more build threads on this site, though.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks guys, I'll be making a major move in about 18 months, so I can't start anything until then. I've made my hotel reservation for the 2019 London Cobra Show and hope to see some ERA's there. I wish there were more build threads on this site, though.
Before you finalize the specs of the build, post a thread or two asking other ERA owners what they would have added if they could go back and do it again. For instance, if you have the underside of the cowl and back of the dashboard spray painted white, working under the dash is way, way easier.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Before you finalize the specs of the build, post a thread or two asking other ERA owners what they would have added if they could go back and do it again. For instance, if you have the underside of the cowl and back of the dashboard spray painted white, working under the dash is way, way easier.
Patrick, good advice. I'm looking through the Builders Manual, trying to get my bearings on how it goes together.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Patrick, good advice. I'm looking through the Builders Manual, trying to get my bearings on how it goes together.
It is the easiest car to work on that I have ever laid hands on. That is especially true for the ERA outboard braked rear, as opposed to working on a traditional Jag IRS. Everything is put together to make it easy to take apart. You really don't have to be a professional mechanic. If you are just a "talented amateur" then you will have no problem at all.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It is the easiest car to work on that I have ever laid hands on. That is especially true for the ERA outboard braked rear, as opposed to working on a traditional Jag IRS. Everything is put together to make it easy to take apart. You really don't have to be a professional mechanic. If you are just a "talented amateur" then you will have no problem at all.
Thanks Patrick. I'm looking forward to the journey. Terry
Old 10-03-2018, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
If you're 18 months away from wanting to start an ERA, I highly recommend sending Peter a deposit now to get in line, as it will take about 18 months to get the frame done and about 20 months to get the body mounted to frame and ready for paint.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
If you're 18 months away from wanting to start an ERA, I highly recommend sending Peter a deposit now to get in line, as it will take about 18 months to get the frame done and about 20 months to get the body mounted to frame and ready for paint.
DITTO - I ordered my 427 in July 2016. I don't have the car yet but hopefully will have it before the end of this year. ERA may be declining orders until their back log gets sorted out though.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodeeny View Post
ERA may be declining orders until their back log gets sorted out though.
Jeez, how do you tell your customers "Uhhh, sorry. We're so swamped with orders that we're not even adding names to the wait list. Go check with Kirkham, we hear they make a real nice car too...."
Old 10-03-2018, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Holy Smoke! That certainly tests the conviction of the buyer. I read somewhere that the backlog is around 6-9 months. That, I can live with. Being ADD, I'm not sure I could maintain my interest for 2 years.

I'm planning on attending the London Cobra Show next summer and then head up to Connecticut following to visit the shop and talk to Peter.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I ordered mine as an unpainted, unbonded, semi-roller to build myself, back in May 2009. It was delivered in March 2010. Even this type of order may run longer now but my point is the time frame is dependent upon the level of completion you are intending to purchase.
tgandy likes this.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Jeez, how do you tell your customers "Uhhh, sorry. We're so swamped with orders that we're not even adding names to the wait list. Go check with Kirkham, we hear they make a real nice car too...."
If I had to do it over again I would give more consideration to Kirkham even with the higher cost.
BD