Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2002, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby
Not Ranked     
Default Another Brake Light Question

Any Ideas?
My brake lights are not working. Signal and running lights work. I have power to the green wire going into the brake light switch at the master cylinder. Shorting both wires and pushing the brakes does nothing. How do you determine if it is the switch or a wiring problem?

Thanks,
David
Old 02-23-2002, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jumper the switch. Connect a jumper between the two spades and that should give you continuity to the lights with your hot lead.
You will be effectively closing the switch as if you had applied brake pedal pressure to the hydraulics..If you have lights then, your wiring is fine, but the switch is toast.
No need to push on the brakes with this test.
Another check is to take the leads off the switch connect a meter to the spades using ohms set on resistance..pump the brake now and see if the switch is closing ( low to 0 ohms ) and reading Megaohms when no brake pumped

Tim
Old 02-23-2002, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, it is definetly the switch. Thanks for the help Whaler! Funny that both switches would be bad. Now to find that part...

David
Old 02-23-2002, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA / nascar side oiler
Not Ranked     

While one the topic , My break lights only come on if I push extreamly hard on the pedal , any ideas ?
Old 02-24-2002, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dave ....part #

any Napa can get you the part you need its an echlin switch.
Echlin part # SL147

See the thread we had up just before yours for those details

brake switch thread

Tim

Last edited by Whaler; 02-24-2002 at 09:45 AM..
Old 02-24-2002, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John 550
The only idea I have is that there may be some resistance in the contacts or that the actual triggering setpoint is getting higher with age/use.

I took a fresh new switch in to work and tested it out..it closed at 70 psi
The napa catalogue said it had an actuation setpoint of 60-120 psi....
Mine was at the low end obviously....could this change and require more brake force to close?? who knows?
They are cheap to replace and easy to test... with the switch out of the car, rig up a 0-100 or 0-200 # gauge and a pressure source and the switch all on a 1/8" pipe tee, use a meter on it as well.

Pressurize it slowly until you see it close on the meter ( resistance) see where it closes on the gauge
...if it is real high, replace it..12 bucks US or so....

Also reset is another consideration..where it goes back to normally closed state. after being triggered onset...you want no real differential between these two pressure other wise you will have a light that stays on after brakes have been let off.

Is your switch new or has it been in service long? Mechanical switches are only good for so many cycles in life. usually the high thousands

See the thread that I referred Dave to for part# napa

Tim

Last edited by Whaler; 02-24-2002 at 09:43 AM..
Old 02-24-2002, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Whaler,
Apparently the 427 uses a different switch than the FIA. Mine is a 3 spade that is considerably larger than the one that matches the numbers you gave which is a 2 spade. BOB P. do you have numbers or cross reference for the FIA brake switch. Mine is an early FIA so it may be different than a later model.

David
Old 02-24-2002, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dave

This info Bob supplied on the thread I referred you to

" The switches are VW Rabbit/Golf/Late Beetle. Part number 112 945 515G. You can probably find one at your local jobber (although I can send you a couple if you can wait). "

If yours is a three spade that simply means you have both the N.O and N.C. contacts as well as common....do you actually use all three spades?? Why not see what Napa has that is 3 spade configuration then..otherwise Bob has given you a number in the ERA applications

Tim
Old 02-24-2002, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim,
Unfortunatley the NAPA store is closed today, I was trying to deal with the other stores here, but they have to have the exact part number, or cross reference to find anything. I don't really need the 3 spade, but the 2 spade they did have would not fit my plug. I will just wait and hit the NAPA store tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

David
Old 02-24-2002, 03:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We use the same switch on the FIA - but only use two of the three terminals. The thread pitch is 1/8NPT so most equivalent two-bladed switches will be compatible.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by Bob Putnam; 02-25-2002 at 05:04 AM..
Old 02-27-2002, 01:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

I actually have the same problem as John 550...I can only get my brake lights to come on when I press really really hard.

Any idea's Bob?

matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 02-27-2002, 03:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Matt,

Same problem - same solution.
Unfortunately, those switches tend to go bad after a while.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 02-27-2002, 04:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob and you should see the car with Webbers on it now
Actually I guess I can upload it hehe..

Matt

2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon

Last edited by 427Aggie; 02-27-2002 at 04:48 PM..