Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-24-2002, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 17" Tires

Bob, I was thinking of going with 17" Kumho tires in size 335/35/17 rear - these measure 26" in Diameter. For front I wanted to go with 275/40/17 - 25.5" Diameter. Using PSE wheels, will these fit without rubbing? Also have you experience or comments on heat cycled tires? I want to know if it's worth the extra $ for street driving.

Regards
Old 10-24-2002, 11:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bax,

Those sizes will fit. PS has done the wheels for us before, but make sure he uses the offsets here:
http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/wheels/17inch.htm for pin drive and Jag-rear bolt-on. If you are getting the ERA rear with bolt-on, the offsets are a bit different in the rear.

I have no experience with the heat-cycled tires. Anyone else know anything?

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 10-24-2002, 11:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hello Baxter,

Heat cycled tires, eh?

The only ones I'm aware of that fit that description are what we fondly call "stickies", tires which are legal for street use, but are in fact intended only for racing.

You didn't say which tires, but they sound suspiciously like Victoracers. If that's the case, expect them to pick up every rock and pebble that is anywhere near your path, and fling it with good velocity at your (and other's) paint job.

Also, if you leave the car parked on them in your garage for a month or so, expect the car to be chemically bonded to the floor.

In other words, leaving aside the very short tread life of hundreds or maybe a few thousand miles, these are not street tires.

If you intend to autocross or run at a sports car track, get the Victoracers for that. For general street use you'd be better off with some Michelin Pilots or similar.

If I've misinterpreted your intent, sock it to me!

Regards,

Tom
Old 10-24-2002, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, Very close indeed! Actually they are the Ecsta V700's, which to my understanding are very similar, though I think I read somewhere they ride a little better on the street. This whole tire thing is such a dilemma . I thought I was all set with the Summitomo HTR-Z's in 315 size for the back and 275's for the front. The got pretty good reviews on Tire Rack, and cost a hell of a lot less than most anything in it's catagory. BUT! then I started reading posts on this forum of those that went to DOT comp tires would never go back to street tires..... SOOOO, I started looking at those. Now "Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one". So I throw it out there again. What do you guys like FOR THE STREET???, I am going with 17's so I only need to here from those of you running 17's.

Thanks

PS Actually this whole Cobra thing is one dilemma after another!
Old 10-24-2002, 02:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hello Baxter,

OK - I guess the operative question is "how and where do you intend to use the tires?"

The track tires are generally good only on the track - and almost all of them are good when it's dry If it rains, they can be a 100% adventure in loss of traction. Street tires can be, um, interesting whereas race tires can be scary when it's wet.

On the street, I use the Michelin Pilot Sport tires. They're a bit pricey. They're pretty good tires.

I'd suggest another trip back through the Tire Rack site, doing some heavy reading there along the way. They've got some reviews and recommendations for the different kinds and brands of tires.

I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of a Z or Y rated tire. That's actually one of the reasons I switched to the 17 inch size - couldn't find a high speed tire in 15 inch that was large enough. I think it's risky to run a "P" series tire on a car that can go FAST! Even if we don't hear about tire problems, I still think it it's a risk.

I've used the Pilots on the track once already, and intend to use them again for race driving schools. They seem fine so far.

Certainly there are several other brands that are as good or better.

Yep, I'm afraid you may be on the verge of having "YALE" (that's "yet another learning experience")

Regards,

Tom

PS: After what these cost, I have severely limited the number of burnouts that I am willing to do
Old 10-24-2002, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Soft track type tires SUCK on the street. They pick up every little piece of debris, throw most of it into your fenders, or somebody else's. The debris that the tires pick up prevent them from having a good grip on the pavement as well. Those tires have less traction on the street than decent street tires. Same reason why drag slicks are like ice on actual streets, the tire hardly touches the pavement, you are driving around on a layer of crud stuck to the tires. That's my experience, others may have different stories to tell.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

I have just the opposite problem. I run G-Force R1 335/35-17's & 275/40-17's and on the street they don't get hot enough to stick to anything, including the asphalt. I like a hi-perf street tire on the street.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, My intentions are at this point to run the car only on the street and in fair weather. As I will not have a top in the near term, I don't expect to be venturing too far from garage, except on those perfect days when I just can't help myself.

Regards

ps Anyone else want to chime in here??
Old 10-25-2002, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Baxter I have the answer for your problem. Buy 15" tires for the street and 17" tires for racing. This is what I did. The 17" have Mich Sports on them for autocross and roadcourse pure street classes. The 15" Have BFG tires, which are for the road. If the car is going to sit for a time, jack it up off the floor as to not give the tires flat spots. Put the max air in them 35 psi. also. Jack the car under the lower arms. You don't want the shocks hanging which could cause damage to the seals in them and leak. I put a Tire dressing on them and hang them on racks. If you are going with only one size tire and it is 17" I think the Mich Sport is all the tire you are going to need. You might want P/Steering in that car after you drive it racing or cruisen for a couple of hours. I have it in mine. The first ERA done with a Sweet rack and it's great. Good Luck Rick Lake