Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2003, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     
Default ERA - Stellings and K&N

OK there are a bunch of threads talking about fitment and flow issues. Can the ERA owners tell me what Air Filters you used on a 2x4 (Tunnel Wedge). I'm looking for the K&N Filters you used and where did you buy your Stellings covers from? Is there an K&N Xtreme setup that works with the Stellings ( ie interchangable with the top cover?)

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 12-09-2003, 06:48 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Check the thread in tech tips. There is a variety of setups, flow rates, etc there. The xtreem lid is 9" where the stellings is a smaller diameter.

What I am going to is a stack of filters on my single four with the stellings air cleaner assembly (I have the hood clearence to do so). Remove the second filter for show. Mr. Gasket make an el-cheapo 9" air cleaner assembly that looks a fair amount like the stellings. The filter selection in 9" is almost unlimited.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-09-2003, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Yes, I have the 2" (or there abouts) K&N with an Xtream cover atop it. This is on a Sidewinder intake manifold and 850 Holley Double Pumper with few gaskets or risers.

I also have a Hellings & Skellings chome filter top and filter that can easily replace the K&N system. I am running without a turkey pan, even though I have one.

The H&S chrome cover is just a wee bit too small to totally cover my K&N filter. It fits into the K&N grove atop the filter and does not overlap the outside of the filter. It looks passible but with the dark K&N underneath, it does not look authentic to me.

I pretty much have been running with the K&N and Xstream top all the time. My engine seems to want more air than the H&S filter alone delivers.

If you check out my picture gallery (click on the little camera near my name) you can see the K&N setup. It works nice. BTW, I got my Xsrtream top from AutoZone as a special item order as they did not stock it. Their price, possibly in error, was very very inexpensive...

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 12-09-2003, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

RED: K&N makes a filter that fits the Stelling & Hellings air cleaners (it's 8.25" diameter / 2" tall). It does raise the height of the cleaner about a 1/2 inch......but that usually isn't a problem. Check out Finish Line: cobraaccessories.com ....I think they're $55.00. It is said to increases the air flow about 30% over "regular" air cleaners. I would think it is better yet (maybe 40-50%) over the stock S&H elements and perforated band.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Not Ranked     

Hi Terry!
Thanks for that info. That smaller K&N filter... that fits the H&S... what happens to perforated wire frame on the original H&S? Do you then have to have a new one made?

I guess you could just leave the wire frame off and just use the chrome H&S top?

Do you have the part number for that 8.5" K&N?

Seems like, since I have a H&S, I am better of just putting that on when and if I "need" the car to look authentic.. and leave my 9" K&N with Xstream top on for normal use. It breathes really well witht he Xstream top and K&N element.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 12-09-2003, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Red w/White Sripes, 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader
Not Ranked     

Art,

Just use the S&H top and bottom, leave the wire off.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Art-
Does your K&N 9" with the Xstream top fit under your hood? Mine won't fit b/c the 9" filter is at least 1/2" taller than the 8.5" filter. I need about an 1/8" more clearance, and that is after swapping out the K&N bottom for a cheap-o Mr. Gasket unit which is about as low profile as I can find. So, what I have done for the moment is installed the 9" Xstream top on the 8.5" K&N bottom that was in the S&H assembly. There is a ridge around the 9" top with fits securely inside the 8.5" bottom filter.

If yours fits, how much clearance do you have? And what kind of carb and manifold are you running?

Mike

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 12-09-2003, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I shall go out and measure it tonite and let you know. I am running a Holley 850 Double Pumper and the manifold is an aluminum Sidewinder.

Just got back in from measuring....

The filter is 2.5" high. It sits on a custom built lower platform.
With the K&N on and the Xstream on there is 3/8" clearance on the passenger side and 1/2" on the drivers side. I used modeling clay to do the measurements. These are the closest measurments that are towards the outside edges of the filter (not front or back) as the air scoop comes down on the edges.
The filter is indeed a 9" in diameter.

Hope this helps. I suspect the custom lower filter platform may have some play here?

Last edited by REDSC400; 12-09-2003 at 03:40 PM..
Old 12-09-2003, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art...can you elaborate on the "custom built lower platform"?

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 12-09-2003, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First off, the platform is made out of a round stainless disk which measures 9.5" in diameter. A hole, the size of the carburetor throat is cut into the center. A round pipe of some material, I think it is brass or bronze, is welded to the disk. The pipe fits perfectly on the throat of the Holley carb. The pipe is cut or tapered at an angle so that, as fitted (low to the carb body) the disk does not come in contact with the rear pump and float reservoir.

This came with the car, and was fabricated by an unknown person. I can inquire. To be honest, it is best I take a photo of it at some point in time. It is simple but very effective.

There is no lower lip to hold the filter. K&N filter grease is used to stick the filter to the disk platform. This makes a nice air-tite gasket along the top and bottom of the filter.

Old 12-09-2003, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

you can probably have a slightly shorter filter made...according to the FAQ on the K&N website:

14. Can a K&N filter be made at the factory for any application?

Yes, we can make just about anything, but the cost can be prohibitive on panel filter types. Generally, we only change the height of existing round filters. This includes cylindrical, conical and oval filters clamp-on or not.

Old 12-09-2003, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

RED: I looked through my Finish Line catalog and they don't list a part number for the K&N filter, but if you go to thier website, it's easy to find.....and I was right, it is $55.00.
Like I said, it raises the height about a 1/2 inch over the stock S&H filter. That isn't a problem on my SPF, but I'm not sure about the ERA's. Maybe someone else knows.....?
The perf. wire frame won't fit with the K&N filter on. If you want authenticity, just swap filters before a show and put the wire mesh back on. I haven't looked into getting a wider one made because I think it is part of the problem as far as blocking incoming air. I don't even have my Turkey pan on because I've seen dyno sheets saying it robs about 20HP........but I will put it on (along with the orig filter and wire mesh) if I go to a show.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Terry,
My car runs less than optimally with a turkey pan on. I do not know why. So even though I have a turkey pan I do not run it. One day, I will perhaps try to get to the bottom of that but that day is not here yet.... its on the list though.

So, I see no real value, in normal operations of the car to run the H&S chrome cover atop a KN filter element.

As far as I am concerned, from a looks standpoint, the H&S chrome cover should be run with its own filter and wire enclosure.

If I am running the K&N to get more air in, then I will run the Xstream cover to get even more air in. My 850 Holley likes alot of air it seems as I can feel the difference with and without.

So the H&S is for show and the K&N is for ... go or normal driving use.

I just wish there was an easy to install turkey pan that was not so intrusive with all the fuel guts atop the manifold. One day I will see if I can create a hinged type of turkey pan in a clamp on/ clamp off arrangement. Now that would be great!

I am in agreement with your statement about authenticity and the use of the various filter combinations for show and go.

Cheers.

Last edited by REDSC400; 12-10-2003 at 06:35 AM..
Old 12-11-2003, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art, Had a similiar problem with the turkey pan and running poorly. I found it was that the base was not flat and would creat a vacuum leak when the heat came up. Good luck

Don
Old 12-11-2003, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don:
that vacuum leak at the bottom of the turkey pan is probably right. How, may I ask, did you fix this? Are you running the Pan now?

Old 12-12-2003, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art Ran a DA sander over the base, inside and out, with a very hard pad. Have to use one like a Hutchins with the throttle lever over the top to get the inside. Then used a bunch of permtex sealer on the gasket and glued the base to the manifold. When I swapped out the 428 for the 427, I ditched the pan altogether and ran a 14" cleaner. Had to cut a bigger hole in the hood and had a friend make a custom aluminum scoop to fit. You can see the difference in my gallery pictures, Summit Point v NHIS. The car has a new owner now who appreciates it very much. He will flat love it next summer when he gets comfortable in it at speed.

Don
Old 12-12-2003, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Cheeks:

...and you'll be watching from the pit rail?

Jim
Old 12-13-2003, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don:
thanks for that information on the pan. I will give that a bunch of scrutiny to see just how flat the bottom is in fact.

BTW, now that you are sans a Cobra.... what's in the plans for you? Or, heaven forbid, are you "out of that phase"?

BTW, since you did a bit of racing with your cobra, did you happen to know Paul Formanek who runs an ERA 427 and owns Day Hill Auto up in the Suffield area (north of Hartford)? I bet you know him. He is quite an avid racer and his ERA is also in the low 2 digit range. A real nice guy.

So, what is next with you?

Old 12-13-2003, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking

I know that Don fellow, used to go by the name of McFEz and some call him cheeks(should be a good story). I know he is buddies with Paul Formenack as they both used to terrorize other Cobra drivers at Open Track events.
here is a nice photo of his oversize scoop on his ERA.

This year he will probably be wandering around the pits at track events wishing he had never sold that car. There is a rumor that he was being challenged for track superiority by a couple of rouge small block Cobra drivers.
Last I heard he was the owner of a Brand X Coupe and had changed his name to McZ06

I am sure he will reply.

Cranky
Old 12-13-2003, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art Although I am "sans Cobra" now, I have never considered my self in a "phase". I started at about age 5 and just never stopped (or changed much according to my wife). Just every so often you need to change rides (hear that dear?). When I figure it out, I'll let everybody know. But what ever "IT" is, it'll be a racer, nasty rowdy and loud, and definately cosmetically challenged. As for Paul F, I have known him for over 20 years. We have travelled up and down the East Coast for 12 years kickin sb butt (and Porche and BMW and Mustang and Vette butts too) at will for years. I must admit when we started, he was the faster of us, but for the last 5 or so years it's been pretty much a toss up.

As for you Mr Cranky, you should be thanking your lucky stars I sold it. Your misguided attempts to "run with the BIG DOGS" would have left you in a state of total dejection and pain. The only sb car that ever ran with us BB guys (me and Paul) did so only after an infusion of FE parts just to make it run. And he has switched off to a Toyota powered car to avoid further humiliation!! I believe any further discussions on this topic will degenerate into profane name calling and major disrespect. I welcome that discourse and recommend we retire to Club Cranky (what a stupid name, and a worse home page picture) to further our discussion.

McZO6
BTW.......CHEVY'S RULE