Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2004, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Routing of Brake Reservior Lines in 427 ERA

I am replacing both master cylinders, the reservior, all three reservior lines (including the clutch) and the brake box on ERA454. Everything is going well except how to route the rtwo brake reservior lines without interfering with the pedals. I am sure that the existing hardware is not ERA standard so I need help. I recently purchased all parts (ready to bolt in) from Doug.

Do the rubber lines leaving the master cylinders run above the master cylinder bracket and floor? Or only the rear master cylinder line?

Do I position the lines between the gas pedal and brake pedal on the front wall of the foot box?

Doug mentioned that I would not need to cut the lines (31" long) but it seems that I have more too much length if I run the rubber lines from the front edge of the 4X4 cutout straight up to the 3-in-1 reservior.

What is the best way to make the connection to the reservior? Push the lines through the top of the foot box and then connect and then push excess back down into the foot box? Or make connection with a worm screw clamp inside the foot box?

Help! Dave B
Old 01-03-2004, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Dave,

There's a reason the lines are so long.
(Sorry 'bout the picture - only one I could find "in stock".) The lines loop around where th clutch pedal would contact the floor.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the quick picture. That will get me going first thing in the morning. I guess these lines take a sharp 90 degree turn when passing through the floor opening.

Any thoughts on making the reservior base connections? Adding the clamps from inside the foor box or outside and push the lines and clamps down onto the top of the footbox? The reservior connections to these lines will be right in the holes in the footbox top.

Any more pictures would be great. I am not sure I have the routing correct under the car. Please remember, I am converting to the ERA standard. The car was built by HRE and no longer has the three separate reserviors on the firewall over the bellhousing (leaks!).

Thanks for your help, need a little more....
Old 01-05-2004, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Better picture.

The lines have a small spring clamp where they connect with the reservoir.

1985 CCX and 66gtk like this.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

I just developed a leak in the Rear master supply rubber hose. It seems to be seeping right thru the hose over a couple of days. I want to replace them both. I know they need to be brake fluid compatible. Summit carries this type of hose. Does anybody know the id/od of these rubber hoses?
Thanks...Dave
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 02-19-2018, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[I removed the link after trying it...redirects to the vigilink purchasing thingy as described by ACHiPo and others]

Last edited by Jamo; 02-22-2018 at 12:17 AM..
Old 02-19-2018, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

Got mine here: [I removed the link after trying it...redirects to the vigilink purchasing thingy as described by ACHiPo and others]

Last edited by Jamo; 02-22-2018 at 12:19 AM..
Old 02-19-2018, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

I found the Tilton 74-221(8ft length with 6 clamps). The 74-274 is only 2' long unfortunately it they are a grey color and I want black. i will call Tilton tomorrow to verify it is really grey or not?
That orange line from Pegasus looks pretty interesting!
Thanks
Old 02-20-2018, 08:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'm surprised that your hard brake lines don't come down the frame and in to the corner of the brake box like mine. Then you only have a little bit of hose to hop over to the Tiltons. The hard lines head over to the Girling reservoirs on the driver's side fender. That seems a lot easier.

Last edited by patrickt; 07-01-2020 at 05:26 PM..
Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
I found the Tilton 74-221(8ft length with 6 clamps). The 74-274 is only 2' long unfortunately it they are a grey color and I want black.
Thanks
Do you mean the 74-214 that Bob shared? Not "274"?
Either way, I don't think you will notice/see it under any normal circumstances unless it is a light grey, which I doubt.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Either way, I don't think you will notice/see it under any normal circumstances unless it is a light grey, which I doubt.
72-502, 74-214, 74-221 -- it's all the same stuff, just different lengths. And they all say "grey" in the description, but it looks black to me -- I don't think I've ever seen truly grey brake hose. Here's the Tilton page on it: Brake & Hose Kit - Tilton Engineering
Old 02-20-2018, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
My bad, fat fingered it. The one bob shared is only 2 ft long and believe it or not, it is LIGHT grey. I called Tilton today to verify this. They said the older hose was seeping and the manufacturer wanted no confusion to the older hose. The manufacturer is either Gates or GoodYear.
Ordered this today/ https://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-74-221.
Wish the color was not grey though. The only piece you can see is the small piece for the clutch line, I am thinking of putting black shrink tube over the grey line!
Old 02-20-2018, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'm surprised that your hard brake lines don't come down the frame and in to the corner of the brake box like mine. Then you only have a little bit of hose to hop over to the Tiltons. The hard lines head over to the Girling reservoirs on the driver's side fender. That seems a lot easier.

Agreed, but your car is much new with this design. Make a lot more sense to me too
Old 02-20-2018, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
72-502, 74-214, 74-221 -- it's all the same stuff, just different lengths. And they all say "grey" in the description, but it looks black to me -- I don't think I've ever seen truly grey brake hose. Here's the Tilton page on it: Brake & Hose Kit - Tilton Engineering
Agree with you on the pic, that is why I called. They assured me it was light grey!
From their vtech staff:
Hi David,

"The hose we have been supplying the last 3 or so years has been grey. It is the only color we currently have available. Below is a picture of it.

I will have our website updated with the correct photo.

Regards,

Kirk"

Last edited by davids2toys; 02-20-2018 at 05:11 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

You could always wipe it down with PrepSol and spray it with black vinyl paint. Or even try coating it with black shoe polish. Of course if you have any brake fluid leaks it will probably damage it.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboneheller View Post
As an aside, both this link and Bob's redirect to an advertising site. Looks like there's an infection of some sort. I flagged the post so the admins can investigate.

Edit: A little more investigation found the issue was on my side. No idea how, but somehow any link I clicked on was redirected to "Viglink". I was able to opt out. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 02-21-2018 at 05:55 AM..
Old 02-21-2018, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I had that problem a couple days ago too on this thread. I gave up and haven't tried again.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Naaah, it's that nuisance "vigilink" plugin that the site uses.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#520, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

I recently purchased ERA#520 and found a brake master cylinder weeping fluid past the rod end seal. I replaced both master cylinders while I was under the car. The hoses where showing fluid seeping through them. I have just received a Tilton brake hose kit from Summit and a 3 container Tilton reservoir. I believe Patrick's hard line to hose is a preferred design. I want the hoses out of the cockpit and will start a reroute approach when all the parts arrive. I bought the reservoir with barb type hose attachments. Will run new hoses out the cylinder box, along the frame and up to the new reservoir mounted on the inner wheel well panel. Not as nice as Patrick's but will be an OK interim for now.The clutch slave cylinder is going to also require new lines ( hard to hose ? ). The BMW reservoir will go into the trash. The removal of the present hoses and reservoir is a messy job ( fluid will be difficult to contain ) and will cost me some loss of carpet. Brake fluid will destroy carpet adhesive. Happy to be an ERA owner and an ex CSX4000 guy. Sold it.
The CSX had all hard lines from the master cylinders. Requires a different master cylinder configuration and mounting.

Last edited by csx4017; 02-26-2018 at 08:41 AM..
Old 02-26-2018, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

Keep in mind that the current routing of the lines INSIDE the foot box insulates them from the exhaust heat. If you route them outside (which you must do at some point if going to the inner fender reservoirs) be mindful to shield or insulate the brake lines from the header temps. There's no point boiling the brake fluid in the lines sitting at a stoplight.