Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-19-2004, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     
Default ERA New Seat

I was at ERA today in hopes of picking up an Earl's thermostatic sandwich adaptor... but the planets were not aligned correctly so I was DENIED. They had not arrived in yet.

So, while I was walking around with coffee cup in hand, I wandered up into the front loft and spied a metal seat frame in the upholstery loft. Jack, the on-site upholsterer and dashboard maven, told me that soon, ERA will be offering a new seat design which features a metal frame vs the fiberglass pan frame that ERA has always used. He had a few of them done with the new metal frame and I tested one out on the loft floor.

The new seat is very nice. I feel that you sit lower in it and that there is a bit more under thigh support as it appeared that the front of the seat is a wee bit taller. I then tried the typical fibre glass pan seat (also a newly built) and frankly both seats are an improvement to my 11 year old seats in ERA#375. Mine have had too much tush action over the years. They make em better now than they used to I recon. I may just have to upgrade my seats Pards! The bolt holes on the new seats fit exactly as do the old seats or so I was told. Those are ususally famous last words... Whenever anyone tells me "Oh it fits exactly... my eyebrows always quiver in a natural response" But the Guys at ERA do know of what they speak and have never led me wrong yet.

While there I saw Sal's (SGIANINO) car taking shape. His 600 HP Shelby block engine is on a stand and looks just Mahhvelous... the guys had just finished the plug wire looms and the turkey pan installation. This is a serious engine going into a serious car.

They were working on the trunk aluminum fitting and bending and the running gear and brakes were on the bench. Looks like Sal's car is gonna be taking shape soon. That is going to be a nice car... (I like the color too... ahem.. just like mine! ;-)

Doug showed me a new trick on placement of the front Jack Stands on the ERA 427. I told him that at times I was uncomfortable with my placement of the jack stands on the front of the flat of the main chasis beams. They are IMO, just a slip away from the upturn to the front suspension and no matter what you do, on the driver's side, the jack stand is always about to play havoc with the master cylinder box.

So he showed me an alternate jack stand spot which is just directly under the front frame where the front sway bar attaches to the chasis frame. The concavity of the typical jack stand will act as a natural saddle for the sway bar bracket. Also there is no chance to slip and the master cylinder box cover can stay pristine.
I learn something new every day...

Cheers

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker

Last edited by REDSC400; 01-19-2004 at 06:26 PM..
Old 01-20-2004, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

But do those new seats have electric heaters built into them? Now THAT would be an improvement.

Chris
Old 01-20-2004, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Not Ranked     

Chris:

Great Idea!

Since the seats are made on site at ERA, I am sure that, if it was possible, that radiant heaters could be added. At what cost... who knows? I do not speak for ERA on this by any means.

I would like heated seats cause here in Connecticut, we try to extend the season and they would be quite welcome. I will ask Jack next time I am up there...

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 01-20-2004, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

Hey Art ,

I cant believe we didnt run into each other yesterday!! I was there between 11:30-1:30, Rich was working on the wires (Red) and Ted the tall guy was drilling the Lexan on the gt-40 lenses.During the visit i was next door in the fiberglass shop talking to the guys over there and i could have just missed you then, talk about bad timing........geeeessshh.

Sal
Old 01-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SHELBY GT500...slightly modified. Former owner of CSX4758..a GEM of a ride!
Not Ranked     
Default New seats!!

Mine in ERA #291 are about gone as well. Any idea as to what the new seats will sell for in vinyl or leather? Inquiring minds would like to know

Gary
ERA #291
Old 01-20-2004, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary and Sal:

Well I got there about 2PM Sal. As I said in my earlier post, the planets were not in alignment yesterday. We just must have missed each other. Ted was still drilling the holes for the lenses and such. Doug was working on your brake lines. Doing belling and champfering. They were also putting a pile of part together for the ERA in Italy that was caught in a Mud Slide. No kidding. The car was covered in tons of mud and was extracted. Now they are doing a full restoration over in Italy and ERA is gathering up all the parts necessary for the resto. Incredible eh?

Sal... Are you getting a set of those "new" seats?? BTW, there was dust on you paint man.... You should be "detailing it" when you are there! Shame on You.... Shame....

Gary:

I have no idea what those new seats will cost. I would imagine a call to Peter would solve that. I was afraid to ask.

I have two ways to go... first would be to have my old ones reupholstered by ERA and the other would be to get a set of the new ones. But that is just gilding the lilly as mine are just fine for now... You know, the concept of the heated seat is sounding better all the time. I bet one could find a heating membrane in the parts aftermarket that would fit? Or salvage one out of some other seat. My wifes' 300M has a two setting seat heater (hot and hotter) whereas my SC400 is just a one setting jobber. I love heated seats now, especially in this cold weather. I will ask if it could be done next time I am at ERA...

If you do find out... email me the price for two in black leather...

Last edited by REDSC400; 01-20-2004 at 02:28 PM..
Old 01-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Art:
There was a thread a little while ago addressing the heated seats issue and, as I recall, there are a couple of vendors who handle them. Don't have time to search for it right now but it's out there.
DonC
Old 01-20-2004, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC # 571, 472 Shelby aluminum "stroker " CSX # 299 from Gessford, 48 IDA Weber carburetors from Jim Inglese
Not Ranked     
Smile

REDSC400

Did you have some addresses from the Italian ERA owner. I would like to contact him.
Thank you very much.

Greetings from Switzerland

Walter

Walter

http://www.kreuchi-auto.ch
Old 01-21-2004, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Walter and DonC:

I do not have any details on the Italian owner who's ERA was mudslided. Sorry. Perhaps if you email Strictlypersonal (Bob) he could get you some sort of contact info.

DonC:

Thanks for the tip on the older thread on heated seats. I will look around for it.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Art:
Check the add on the CC home page from Cobraheat.com.
DonC
Old 01-21-2004, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don:
Its like we have ESP (Extra Salty Potatochips!). How timely.
Ask and Ye shall receive!

Old 01-21-2004, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 428PI Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Seat Heaters

Hi-

I rec'd an email from ART (REDSC400) last night asking about my banner ad.

here is the reply I gave him about the heaters.

Cobraheat.com all started when I was looking for a heater for my car (FFR with 428PI and Nascar toploader) I have a glove box and lucas wipers, so it really limited me on the what I could do with a heater. I didn't like the looks of the box heater sitting out in the engine compartment, or the vintage air unit up under the dash.

My thought process is that there are far more benefits to having the core of your body warm vs warm air blowing on your feet (with a convertible it is almost uselss)

I started looking for OEM seat heaters, saw some mfg's at SEMA, and decided which brand/style was an easy universal fit for any type cobra seat ( that the average guy could do in an hour or so)

I put a deal together and bought a banner ad on the FFforum and we are off to the races!

Kit includes everything you need and takes about 45 minutes per seat to install. If you don't want to play with your leather seats, take it to an auto upholstery and they'll do it for 40-50 bucks.

I have a quick/easy installation instructions pdf file that I can email anyone that is interested. Let me know if you have any questions?

Thanks-
NFS

from FFForum:

Quote:
OK here is my report. THEY WORK GREAT! Conclusion:
The cost and ease of installation are good.
Benefit is better than nothing.
Keeping the wife happier (notice I didn't say happy) is a good thing. My opinion is that they are better than having a heater. The direct heat source feels better to me than the hot air blowing from the heater that mixes with the cold air blowing through the gaps in the footboxes. This is only my opinion, you can formulate your own. The high and low setting is nice, as the high setting does get very very warm.

Old 01-22-2004, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 428PI Toploader
Not Ranked     

I didn't see that this thread was under New ERA Seat when I posted it. my apologies for jumping in uninvited. Iwill start a new thread up front

thanks

NFS