Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-10-2005, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 541, Shelby 427, TKO600
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up New ERA owner

Hi all,

I just joined the ERA family with my purchase of a 427SC # 541 It is a factory built car with a shelby 427 (498HP) and a toploader. It is currently in transport from its former home in Kentucky to Oregon where I hope to have it this weekend. Check out my gallery for a picture.

I have been looking for a cobra since last summer and did not think I would be able to get an ERA (my first choice). I first started looking at Cobra replicas in '90-'91 and ERA was my first choice then too. I just did not have the time nor funds to make it happen then.

First up will be to go thru the car completely maintence wise. It only has 6K miles on it but it was built in '99 and want to make sure everything is tip top. I am thinking about fluids for diff, trans, engine oil / coolant, brakes and clutch. Any words of wisedom/gotchas on doing these items? What brake/clutch fluid do you recommend (I know no silicone)?

Also is there a maintence manual from ERA that lists capacities, etc.? I am not sure what manuals I will have with the car, but the previous owner said he included everything he currently has. I do have the free assembly manual from the ERA website, but was wondering what else there is.

I am going to need some things like floor mats and a car cover. Any advice on these? I think ERA has mats but looking for a nice cover.

thanks in advance
Old 01-10-2005, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congradulations on your car , I got my indoor flanel cover from Enzo from Finishline FL. very happy with it , I would look on the ERA web site for more info on your car . I would get your parts from them as well ( floor mats etc) . Good luck , go easy ; they bite .
Old 01-10-2005, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the car. Glad the long distance purchase worked out for you. ERA makes a great car, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     
Default New ERA

Congrats on your new ride. We enjoyed inspecting the car in Louisville and both Rick Bagley and I have faith that the car you are getting is a fantastic value. Please keep us posted on the delivery. Enjoy a great ride.

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
Old 01-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Russ:
Find a 1/2" 8 point socket for draining the differential. You can get to the fill plug o.k. but the drain plug is up inside the carrier. It's a generous 1/2" so you might want to get a 9/16 as well. The next time I drain mine I'll be dressing the plug head to fit the 1/2" more closely.
Use the Moroso Climbing Gear Lube for the rear end with additives. Check the manual for what is recommended.
ERA has both mats and covers so check with them.
Normal coolant is a 50/50 mix with Redline Water Wetter. Don't know what your radiator is made out of but the newer cars are using aluminum. Coolant as appropriate for the metal.
Check the ERA forum for a ton of good informations in the car.
Congratulations on the purchase. Email me if I can be of any help.
DonC
Old 01-10-2005, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemp 427
Not Ranked     

Russ the car looks great. Give me a call some time and well take the cars for spin. Congradulations

scott
Old 01-10-2005, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Russ, congrats on the ERA! Saw the picture in your gallery and that is one beautiful color! Was the previous owner a member here at CC? Looks awsome!
I would go to the ERA site for additional information. I hear they have a pretty nice car cover as well. If you're looking for more to choose from, I got mine from California Car Covers. They have covers made to your cars exact size (or you can send in your own custom dimensions). I have a buddy that bought one from Branda's that is very nice too (and a nice fit) for about 1/2 the price of what I paid. Flannel lined too!
As far as fluids, I went with the "Ultra Shift" tranny fluid from performanceunlimited.com and I highly recommend it. Although you may not have the "notchy" shift problems with your top loader as we do with our Tremecs, but I'll bet it would still make a difference.
Have fun and be safe!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     
Russ, great looking car. Hope you get it sorted out to your liking. Think about going with the NWCC group in May to Reno for the west Cobra gathering
Old 01-10-2005, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Superformance Cobra. Engine is Coast High Performance "Cobra Classic" 427 stroker
Not Ranked     

Russ,

Congratulations! I can't wait to go for a drive with you- when the sun finally comes out...

Jim B
Old 01-10-2005, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC # 571, 472 Shelby aluminum "stroker " CSX # 299 from Gessford, 48 IDA Weber carburetors from Jim Inglese
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

1 Trkpony

Congratulations to your great car.
I bought my indoor flanel cover and mats from ERA.
Good luck for the first ride out.

Walter

Walter

http://www.kreuchi-auto.ch
Old 01-11-2005, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2097 -289FIA . 351W. PSE Torq Thrust 17" Ds. All Black.
Not Ranked     

Keep the car garaged whenever the cover is on it (and the garage door closed). Car covers (particularly flannel) will beat the paint to a dull scratch filled finish in a slight breeze. You may not notice it at first but eventually you will if you look close enough.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Congratulations!

ERA's are the best.

You will find all the information you need in the ERA Manual -

Pat
Old 01-11-2005, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

That is a nice car. Good luck on it! I too went the used route with my ERA. You cannot go wrong. Everything is available.

Your idea of checking the car out is a good one. I did the same.

Four jack stands and a thin hydraulic jack are a must.

Bob Putnam can inform you of the download area for the various manuals, FAQs and other documents.

When I got my ERA #375 I nutted and bolted everything underneatn and cleaned it all up and drained and replaced all fluids. I also then painted each bolt and thread with a dab of yellow paint which would show (if broken) that the nut had loosened since last torque or tighten. (aircraft trick). So far none of them have.

There are alot of grease fittings on the car, including universals.
I found a push pump to fill the Toploader and the rear differential a godsend in refilling them.

Make sure you contact Peter to inform him of your new owership of #541.

Any questions, just let me know. I will be glad to help.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 01-11-2005, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

I'm excited for you... keep everyone posted on it's status and how everything turned out...
Always nice to hear of a happy ending....

If ERA was your first choice, how did you rank the rest of the manufacturers? Always curious

Last edited by casaleenie; 01-11-2005 at 08:18 AM..
Old 01-11-2005, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone and yes on the local folks, look forward to hitting the road soon with you!

The previous owner was not a CC member. I think the car required too much tinkering for him as he did not have the time nor the desire to do that. Not me I love to tinker and these cars need a lot of attention to keep them tip top.

I got the manual site from Bob so I am on my way to getting all the info I need. Very nice manual. Nut and Bolt everything is a real good idea. I will have to see if my current floor jack works or not. If not it is a good excuse to buy one of those cool low profile aluminum racing jacks.

ERA was my first choice, for the price range I was looking at. I set a maximum of 40K I wanted to spend (but went over that ...). If money were no object it would be a Kirkham or Shelby aluminum car. My ranking was : ERA, SPF, Unique, BDR/Venom.

Here is a picture of the car in the transporter...
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2005, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

and another of it going down the road...

next stop Oregon!
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2005, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

I have one of those low profile aluminum racing jacks. It works quite well.

You start off by jacking up the front, slipping the jack under the car from behind the front driver wheel and then positioning the jack under the forward center cross member of the frame. I protect the powder coat with a piece of 2 x 4.

Once you jack the front up you can slip two jack stands on the front of the frame (just in front of the pedal box). Then you move the jack to the rear and lift the rear up and put the jackstands near the rear of the frame.

I think the manual outlines the lift points and jackstand points.
Just be careful not to crush the pedal box with a jackstand.

When will the car arrive?

Did you get to test drive it?

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 01-11-2005, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes sounds like the process I use with my mustang to jack it up. I would drive on to 2x12s to raise the car up a bit to get more clearance for the floor jack.

Car is scheduled to be in Oregon this weekend (weather permitting). We are having unusual weather for January, cold and dry. California is getting all of our rain/snow. So it should not be much of an issue for the driver and he needs to stop by Idaho (and stay north) on the way here.

No I have not driven it. I had two local CC members (see Froggyman's post on pg 1) in Louisville look over the car for me and give me the low down on the car. Based on their detailed report I agreed to buy it. There are a few items that will need to be addressed, but that is expected and not much of concern to me as that is all part of the fun of ownership.

Russ
Old 01-11-2005, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC with 428 PI
Not Ranked     

You spent good money on the car, for 2-3 thousand more you can buy a nice lift and do it right. Forget the jack.

It's just easier this way.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Russ

Congratulations! You will enjoy your ERA. Great cars. There are quite a few cobras in the Portland Area. If you would to like join some of us for an event or a drive, check here And the NW section of the factory five site. They have an active Portland group and all makes are welcome. Between the cc and the ffr group we had 28 cobras at the portland historic races last year. We have two ERA's in the group.

http://www.ffcobra.com/cgi-bin/ultim...ubb=forum;f=17

Tim