Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
So I spoke to Tony yesterday. He's finishing up the paint and expects my car to be going back to Peter next week.

(Jim Holden - Tony mentioned that he had just picked up your slabside in the morning.)

So my plan was to go up to ERA to check out the car and to go over the rest of the build details with Peter. I was going to bring my list with me to go over the build and the items I had left off of my list when I had first visited Peter and left my deposit.

I'd appreciate hearing any suggestions from those "in the know" about things I definitely need to address with Peter. As a refresher, I'm getting a full build, with the engine coming from Joe at Danbury Engines. Joe has had the engine finished and is ready to do the dyno run.

-Ray
Hi Ray,

Congratulations on choosing an ERA. I think that you will be very happy with your choice. Not clear from your post but it sounds like you are doing a 427 car? We just recently completed ERA 753. Some options that I would suggest considering include:

1) Competition style dash with smiths gauges including the reverse speedo. This is the most authentic looking dash combination that we've seen. Smiths gauges can take a little fiddling to get everything right but once that is done you'll be happy with the choice
2) Go with the oil cooler and the H-D cooling system. The Oil cooler looks authentic and help cooling which can be a problem with a big block (esp a cast iron one). Also suggest the dual fans in front of the radiator. They look cool and will help cooling a little bit as well.
3) Go with the pin drive wheels and outboard brakes. This costs a bit more but it make the car more authentic and easier to service
4) Chrome the roll bar
5) We liked the single square tail lights instead of the round ones but check on your registration/inspection reqs to see if these will give you problems. They did not in NH where we live.
6) Driveline. For street use, we choose 3.54 gears and a Tremec 5-speed 0.64 OD transmission. The OD on this trans will allow you to cruise the car at very low RPMs. I've used this setup in two street cars and have been very happy with it. The richmond trans. and taller gears might be better if you plan to track the car alot.
7) Sidepipes - lots of choices here. We liked the look of "chrome" so we choose the polished stainless steel pipes that ERA has. Very happy with the sound (not excessively loud but means business) and the mtce. on these pipes looks to be minimal to keep them like new. The more we hit them with a polish to clean them, the nicer they look!
8) Wheels and tires - we have vintage 15" pin drive wheels and Goodyear Billboard competion tires. We really like the look and the handling to the Billboards but they do have need to be warmed up and they throw alot of stones. Lots of other threads on this board discuss the pro's and cons. Suggest you work out some sort of protection for you rear fenders no matter what you choose for tires. ERA has a set of removable protectors that we use - they look good with our red paint but my not be as good appearance wise with other colors.
8) Paint and Body - I strongly suggest you talk with Ron Randall in Wallingford, CT about your paint and body work. I think that Ron is one of the higher end painters that Tony works with and I belive he is hands down the best in the CT area.
9) Get the adjustable seat tracks - the ERA footboxes are deeper than you think and you'll like the adjustability I think.
10) Consider the rivet on hood scoop - I think this looks more authentic and its a nice detail.
11) If you live somewhere cool, get a heater. It will help when you drive the car in cooler weather.
12) Wind wings and visors are a good idea to make the car more comfortable to drive.
13) Suggest windshield wipers. You will get caught in the rain at some point and you'll be glad that you have them. May be a requirement for inspection in many states also.
14) Have you battery mounted in the trunk. It will help with the wieght balance on the car (a big block can make these cars a little nose heavy and moving the battery to the back will help with this).
15) Get the AC pedals - again, they are more authentic.
16) Suggest you get a Tonneau cover - this can he hepful if you get caught in a rain storm somewhere.

There are lots of other details to consider that are a matter of personal preference. Here's a link to our build thread on this board and to our website. These links have lots of pictures of our car and the options that we choose.

ERA 753 - Final Assembly in Progress

http://www.anitafred.net/Cobra.htm

Let me know if we can help you on anything specific.

- Fred

Last edited by fkemmerer; 06-17-2009 at 06:10 PM..
Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Hi Fred,

I've been following your build since I saw your car up at ERA when I first visited there. A beautiful car that can best be appreciated in person and shows what can be done to an ERA...

To hit your points, one by one...

1 I am also going with the competition dash with glove box and Smith's gauges. I'd be interested to hear comments on the reverse speedometer as I have been unsure about that one.

2 I did go with the HD fan, and the supplemental front fans, is that what you are referring to? Yes I also have the oil cooler on my list.

3. One of my first selections was for the outboard rear brakes and the pin drive wheels.

4. Went with the chrome rollbar.
5. Went with the square tail lights
6. When I had spoken to Peter about this, he had suggested the 3:31 rear for me; I am getting the Tremec 5 speed. My engine is the 428FE with dual quads, and although not yet dyno'd it's meant to be a mild build as I don't plan on racing it. Thoughts?
7. Went with the stainless steel sidepipes for the same reasons you did.
8. My plan has been to go with the 15" vintage pin drive wheels as well, but was looking at the Avons due to the stone issue, but am open to suggestions on tire selection. I'm getting the spats for the front of the rear fenders for protection as well. Tony is doing my paint, with my car due back to Peter on Wednesday.
9. Went with the adjustable seat tracks.
10. I guess the hood scoop is a personal preference issue - after looking at many cobras outfitted both ways, I liked the cleaner looks of the integral hood scoop and went in that direction.
11. Went with the heater.
12. Added the wind wings based upon an earlier suggestion and already had the visors on my list.
13. Went with the wipers; they're required in NJ.
14. Went with the battery in the trunk.
15. Adding the AC pedals based upon prior recommendations and do like the looks. Peter showed me the pedal collection when I was last up there.
16. Going to talk to Peter about the Tonneau cover, if for no other reason than for the 'snap' issue Bob spoke about.

Thanks for your suggestions, I do really appreciate everyone's input. As you all know, there are quite a few 'uncataloged' options for the ERA out there and would hate to miss out on something I may have liked because I was not aware of it, like the shut-off valve on the manifold.

-Ray
Old 06-12-2009, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Halibrand Magnesium wheels being discussed on a separate thread? Or are the Vintage wheels the way to go?

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Ray
Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

Vintage wheels are awesome in terms of looks, quality and service. I have them and am very happy. If you order them direct, make sure you tell them you have an ERA and he machines the front wheels for you.

That being said, I love magnesium wheels and am considering grabbing one of these sets. Even though they are more work, not as strong, can possibly leak, etc.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 713 427 stroker 468ci
Not Ranked     

rao-3,looks like your going have a real nice car.tony & the guys at ERA are true artists.My biggest regrets would be not getting the tonneau cover fitted,pusher fans,and spats fitted.I also screwed up on the gearing.I got the era rear with 3.31 then chose the tko 600 with 0.62 od thinking I needed that tall 5th for freeway cruzing.It was way to tall.I've since changed out the trans to the 0.82 5th & the gearing is now perfect.I bought the pusher fans from era & installed last year.I too put the battery in the trunk & put disconnect behind pass seat.The quick disconnect steering hub is hard to see and works great.the bmw fluid bottle works great but i will be ordering up the 3 cans for the look.Good luck with your build and have fun that car.jim k.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xracerbob View Post
Vintage wheels are awesome in terms of looks, quality and service. I have them and am very happy. If you order them direct, make sure you tell them you have an ERA and he machines the front wheels for you.

That being said, I love magnesium wheels and am considering grabbing one of these sets. Even though they are more work, not as strong, can possibly leak, etc.
And they're the twice the money. $3,200 for a set. I've seen them and after 5-ish years of sitting on a shelf inside a garage, they still look brand new. As for leaking, I believe the recommendation is to paint the part that the tire hides to help with sealing, although the newer magnesium wheels are much improved in this area.

Last edited by RodKnock; 06-12-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

xracerbob and RodKnock - sent an email to the the guy with the magnesium wheels and he replied that they're all gone. Guess that's settled!

Jim, thank you for your insights. Given everyone's recommendation, I will definitely go for the tonneau cover, and already decided to get the pusher fans and the spats. I think that I will have a further discussion with Peter about the transmission and rear gearing based upon your input and Fred's comments. I wouldn't want anything too tall either. My concern about the steering hub is getting it through inspection here in NJ or I would go for it. Already decided about the battery in the trunk and like the idea of the disconnect behind the seat. Also am leaning toward the original cans. Great input and thanks again.

-Ray
Old 06-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
xracerbob and RodKnock - sent an email to the the guy with the magnesium wheels and he replied that they're all gone. Guess that's settled!

Jim, thank you for your insights. Given everyone's recommendation, I will definitely go for the tonneau cover, and already decided to get the pusher fans and the spats. I think that I will have a further discussion with Peter about the transmission and rear gearing based upon your input and Fred's comments. I wouldn't want anything too tall either. My concern about the steering hub is getting it through inspection here in NJ or I would go for it. Already decided about the battery in the trunk and like the idea of the disconnect behind the seat. Also am leaning toward the original cans. Great input and thanks again.

-Ray
Ray-
Go with the 3.31 and the TKO 600 with the .82 5th gear. That's what I have and is a very nice all around set up. 1st is still usable (with a 3.54, you will run out of 1st gear very quickly) and in 5th you can do 75 or 80 and be turning about 2700 (if my memory is correct).

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
...with a 3.54, you will run out of 1st gear very quickly) and in 5th you can do 75 or 80 and be turning about 2700 (if my memory is correct).
I went with the 3.54 and the .64 Tremec and absolutely love it. I wouldn't change it. First gear lets you go slow with out hiccupping and 5th gear lets you do 68MPH at 2000RPM. If your engine is well-mannered at the low two thousands, then it's a wonderful combination.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

As noted before, I went with the 3.54 and the TKO 600 0.64 and have been happy with it even here on the DC beltway but then my engine was built to be content in the lower RPM range. As for running out of "room" in first, first carries me well past 40mph if I want which is plenty for me.

The riveted hood scoop is more "original" for the 427 but can't fault you if you prefer the integral one. The outboard brakes are not original! That said, I got the outboard brakes as a personal preference.

Get the tonneau cover and have ERA fit it. For anybody who does not do roof/tonneau work regularly, fitting either can be a royal PITA. I use mine all the time. Keeps the interior warmer when I don't have a passenger and it keeps the interior clean (not to mention the sun off the seats) when parked.It only takes 1-2 minutes to take off or put on and takes virtually no room to speak of in the trunk. In fact properly folded, it will fit behind the seat.

I would get the adjustable seats and the removable steering wheel. Makes it much easier to get in and out and the removable wheel adds a little bit of peace of mind for security when you're not with the car.

If you have alot of speed bumps where you live, you might want to consider the powdercoated/painted sidepipes. Much easier and cheaper to recoat than rechrome.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

I forgot the new TKOs have the 2.87 1st instead of the 3.27 1st that my TKO has- that will give you more room with the 3.54s in 1st.

However, for ordinary street cruising I still don't think you need 3.54s in light of the amount of torque theses car make and how light they are. I went for a ride this morning and checked my rpm at 65 and 70 (3.31s with .82 5th). At 65 I was turning 2350 and at 70 was at about 2500, which is very comfortable. With 3.54s and the .64 5th @ 65 you would be turning apx. 1900 and at 70 you would be apx. 2100.

Either one if probably is probably fine, the real question is what are the specs on the cam Ray is going to be using and where will the engine run most efficiently at, in the 1900-2100 range or at 2300-2500 range? I would make the gear selection based on the cam.

Ray- for your information, here is a link to a gear ratio calculator. You can plug in different combos and see where they come out.

http://www.richmondgear.com/101032.html

Also, here is a link to TKO's website that lists all of the gear ratios

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/TKO.asp

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-15-2009, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chaplin and patrickt - I appreciate your insights into making the proper selection of transmission/rear end gears. I'm going to call Joe today and confirm the cam I am getting. I want the car to be a street car; my plan is to have it be more comfortable in the low rpms.

WarrenG - Good to get your input, you seem to have gone in the same direction as patrickt with the gear ratios. I knew that the riveted scoop was more 'original' - back when I was younger, I had a car with a riveted scoop, and I remember always wishing it was integral with the hood, so that memory also helped me to decide. And from a practical perspective, how does one get all the wax out from the rivets? Warren, the outboard brakes was an easy decision, based on the reading of all the old threads. Thank you for your thoughts on the tonneau cover, I do think I will be adding that to my list. I already do have the adjustable seat racks on my list, but am concerned about getting the removable wheel through inspection. I will talk to Peter about it when I visit.
Speedbumps are nasty things; there is one town not too far from me that has several on one road, but even now I avoid the road, so I don't anticipate them being a problem for me.

-Ray

Last edited by RAO-3; 06-15-2009 at 06:04 AM..
Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Tonneau

I didn't buy a Tonneau, and I've yet to have an occasion where I said to myself "sure wish I had a Tonneau." But, I don't drive the Cobra in the Winter and I don't drive the Cobra if there's a strong chance of rain. Along with the soft top (which I keep in the trunk) I also keep a new painter's tarp from Home Depot that takes up almost no room. If I found myself out somewhere and a storm caught me by surprise I would just throw that tarp over the open part of the car and wait the storm out. That hasn't happened yet. The soft top takes me about 15 minutes to put up and the last time I did it was in December and the top was cold -- my thumbs ached for a week.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi patrickt -
I too don't plan on driving the Cobra in the winter nor the rain if it can be avoided. Good idea about the tarp. I guess I was also thinking that it's a little 'extra' to keep people out of the car if I were to park it some place as well.

Tony just called and said he's finishing up my car now and depending on the weather (it's been raining in the northeast a lot lately), he will be taking it back to Peter either Wednesday or Thursday.

So, depending on Peter's schedule, it looks like I will be taking that ride up to ERA either this weekend or next...

If anyone has their car up there and they want pictures, let me know. I'm sure I will be taking some anyway and posting them.

-Ray
Old 06-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, an ERA Tonneau is only $350. That's really not a big deal in the scheme of the the car. I doubt you'll be leaving it anywhere that somebody's going to mess with it anyway. Actually, unless it's three in the morning on a back street somewhere, people seem to keep their distance... like it's going to bite them or something. But if you do take it on a trip where you're not sure where you're going to be parking, the best defense is to carry the plastic coated heavy gauge cables and chain your car to a fixed object and then put a car cover over it. Most of us here could hotwire your car just as fast as you can start it (even if you have a kill switch for the MSD box hidden somewhere) and even the ones that can't handle a wire and alligator clip can push your car away and work on it at their leisure.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default This is what I mean about locking your car...

On the few times that my car may need "extra security," I run these cables through the wheels and frame and loop it around a telephone pole or the like. I know you're concerned about getting through inspection, but a QR steering column is great security as well. You just pull the wheel and take it in the restaurant with you (seriously).

Old 06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

With a quick-release steering wheel you GOTTA take the wheel with you every time you leave the car, or somebody else will. I say forget the quick-release and bolt the wheel down and secure the car in a normal way.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
With a quick-release steering wheel you GOTTA take the wheel with you every time you leave the car, or somebody else will. I say forget the quick-release and bolt the wheel down and secure the car in a normal way.
Funny. You can not tell the QR is there, unless you know it's there. It's virtually invisible. Another benefit of the QR is that it lets you easily adjust the orientation of your wheel so you can see the gauges the way you want to (and not have them blocked by the steering wheel arms). I won't even mention how much easier it is to work under the dash with the wheel off. At $850 it's a bargain IMHO and if I was worried about passing inspection I'd just have Bob P. whip me up a little "jacket" that would bolt around the steering column to hide the QR until after inspection.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

I use me tonneau cover all of the time. It works good to keep the water out when washing the car. It also makes a nice hammock for my cat to sleep on.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

patrickt, I like the picture of your cobra with the cable and lock. I have seen them on motorcycles, but never saw one on a car before. Good thinking though. I will talk to Peter about the removable steering wheel and what can be done to try to get me through inspection.

tboneheller, good idea of using the tonneau cover for washing the car!

-Ray