Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Time for an update on 2136.

The wheels are done and on their way to ERA. Phil at PSE made a set of FIA wheels with the centers powder coated satin black, and with the wheel rim bare aluminum, always liked that look.

For the motor, I went earlier this week to meet with Tom at FE Specialties in Sacramento. For the build we will start with a '71 302 and by the time Tom is done, will have a motor that looks pretty close to a 289 Hi-Po with around 350HP and 380 Ft/Lbs torque, redline around 6500 PM. Relatively modest horsepower by today's standards, but close to, if not a bit more than was run back in the day and should make for a good motor for a street car. Tom will spec the entire build then machine, assemble and dyno the motor.

Some of the highlights:

302 cu in
Iron block & heads
Holley 650 carb
TRW forged pistons
Hydraulic roller cam
ARP Fasteners
Aviaid oil pan
FORD distributor with Pertronix setup
Cobra dual plane intake manifold
Black distributor cap and wires
Cam selection will come after the heads are done

The car is at the head of the line at ERA and final assembly into a roller should be in process. No date for delivery from Peter, but things are moving.

If any of you guys are headed to ERA in the next few months, please take a few photos and I'll add them to the build thread.

It's been helpful to follow other builds and learn more about the cars from the 60's. While 2136 won't necessarily be 'period correct', which was not the intent from the get go... the goal is something more 'period reminiscent', so to speak. Can't wait to see how it all looks and drives when it's done!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

You won't be disappointed with Tom....he does great work.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Tim,

Congrats on the ERA build and progress. Looking good. As you may be aware, Tom built my motor short block when I built my ERA. If you let him do some minor port/match work on the heads and with some good balancing, etc, you'll be happy; will have plenty of go if you let him do a little extra magic work. Tom did a 331 for a buddy of mine for his Cobra, and I drove the car. That little 331 was kick in the pants, came on like big block power in the upper revs. Looking to get my own car back together this winter after the full repaint; messing with wheels/color next in a few weeks too. Good Luck!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Your Horsepower seems about right. That's about where I am & it's plenty snappy. Can't wait to see the wheels!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Sounds great Tim! Can't wait to see it.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 11-25-2010, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a nice engine build for your FIA. Thrilled for you, buddy!

Incidentally, one of your photo's of my ERA made the BACC 2011 calendar. Nice work!

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

2136 Is On The Lift

Got a call from Peter this morning that 2136 is on the lift, and final assembly into a roller has begun … needless to say I am thrilled

John sent me a photo, see below (thanks John!)

Tom at FE Specialties is making great progress on the 302. I plan to go up to his shop for the initial startup, run in and dyno test, most likely towards the end of the month.

For the clutch assembly and transmission, I have sourced all of that from Mike Forte. Mike will supply the flywheel, pilot bearing, friction disc, pressure plate, Quicktime bell housing, external slave cylinder & bracket along all the fasteners. He will also supply the TKO 600 transmission with 0.82 OD. I don't need it for the torque capability, but for the gear spacing, should make for a great setup with the 3.31 rear axle ratio. Mike and Tom went over the motor build to select the proper bits and pieces, I'll post a detailed list later. Just like ERA, both Mike and Tom have been in business for a long time, it's great working with people that really know what they are doing.

So … any Club Cobra folks headed to ERA over the next several weeks … please keep an eye out for 2136 and take some photos for me to post … Thanks!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Lookin' pretty sweet!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Alright, Tim! Looks great. When do you expect delivery?

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Great! Means mine is off the lift getting ready for road testing. I'm going up tomorrow to check the fitting of the driver's seat, and will report back in due course!

Last edited by jeffy; 01-06-2011 at 10:52 AM..
Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2137, KC Racing 306
Not Ranked     

Tim, 2136 looks great on the lift! Small things jump out when I'm working the same body for 2137. Interesting to note that I just installed the trunk lid weatherstrip on 2137 in my garage last weekend. (It was delivered with short temporary strips masking taped in place.) I thought we both ordered rollers with the same degree of finish work! Did you talk Peter into throwing in some extras, or are the guys at ERA just really into your car? I also noticed an aluminum tunnel sitting in your car in an 8-1-2010 post to this build thread with shift handle hole drilled. I just drilled mine this week! Be sure to have ERA fully assemble the doors. The "pockets" are a bear to install.
Greg
Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
Alright, Tim! Looks great. When do you expect delivery?

DD
Doug,

Not sure on a delivery date, but based on other builds that get to this point in the process I would guess a month or two, maybe a bit more when it's all said and done. There are a lot of variables, not only with assembly, but with parts availability as well.

One thing for sure, it's getting closer
Old 01-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik289 View Post
Tim, 2136 looks great on the lift! Small things jump out when I'm working the same body for 2137. Interesting to note that I just installed the trunk lid weatherstrip on 2137 in my garage last weekend. (It was delivered with short temporary strips masking taped in place.) I thought we both ordered rollers with the same degree of finish work! Did you talk Peter into throwing in some extras, or are the guys at ERA just really into your car? I also noticed an aluminum tunnel sitting in your car in an 8-1-2010 post to this build thread with shift handle hole drilled. I just drilled mine this week! Be sure to have ERA fully assemble the doors. The "pockets" are a bear to install.
Greg

Greg,

You bring up a good point, the cars ERA builds really do run the gambit. From a bare body bonded to the frame and some plumbing installed, to a true turn key masterpiece ready to go … and the length of time to delivery and cost of the build is adjusted appropriately.

When I first ordered 2136 in May of 2009, I actually intended to do more of the assembly myself just as you are doing. But as time went by, I changed my mind and decided to have ERA do more (therefore … more time and money ).

I am now pretty much at the 'turn key minus' level, where ERA will finish the car except for the drive line and some of the interior (I will be going with Krikey seats which I will install later).

Peter will do as much or as little as the customer wants, so I would say the difference between our two builds for example comes down to the details of the order. I would hazard a guess that no two builds are exactly alike and each car is truly unique. Peter & Crew are great to work with and one of the things that makes ERA what it is.

I have enough time and talent for the drive line install, and I have a lot of buddies offering to help. I admire the guys who do more of the work on their own, but can also imagine the pure pleasure of having ERA do everything for a turn key car.

You are making great progress on 2137 and should be on the road soon, keep us posted

- Tim
Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Tim, let me know if you want company when you visit Tom, I might want to tag a long.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
Great! Means mine is off the lift getting ready for road testing. I'm going up tomorrow to check the fitting of the driver's seat, and will report back in due course!
Jeff,

Glad to hear that 2131 is back on the ground, going through preflight, and getting ready for takeoff !
Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes View Post
Tim, let me know if you want company when you visit Tom, I might want to tag a long.
Dave,

You are more that welcome to come along ... probably won't be for at least a few more weeks, I'll let you know when it gets closer.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Great looking car there Tim! I would say you'll be getting your car around April. Let me know when to bring the engine hoist.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 289fia_cobra View Post
Great looking car there Tim! I would say you'll be getting your car around April. Let me know when to bring the engine hoist.
Thanks Herman !
Old 01-08-2011, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

I found the door pockets pretty straightforward to "assemble" and to install--the directions in the assembly manual are quite good. I also had my wife help, so they turned out even nicer!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's good to know. I have not read any other manufacturers assembly manuals, but can say that the ERA manual is very well written ... it's concise, well illustrated and a great resource.