Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     
Default ERA 2136 Build Log

The Build Has Begun ...

This was my first visit to ERA (8/27/09 & 8/28/09) and I have to say, I was so impressed by the people and the product! Peter and the guys were very gracious in answering my questions and they showed me around and explained the whole process. The attention to detail and the quality of the cars is amazing.

I walked through all of the buildings, and got a first hand look from the molding of the bodies, to the fabrication of the frame, to the bonding of the body to the frame and final assembly after the car comes back from paint.

As luck would have it, the body for my car was in the final stages of being fabricated, and early Friday morning, I was actually there when it came out of the mold ... it was very cool.

Below are photos of ERA 2136 fresh out of the mold ... the shot from the rear was taken after some rain and you can see how the water beads up from the wax that is used as mold release, so that the black gel coat paint does not stick to the mold.

Next step is the chassis ... Peter & Crew are making some tweaks to the car to get all 6' - 4" of me to fit. We did some mock ups and took some measurements to use for my car.

If anyone visits ERA in the near future and has a camera ... please ask Peter to point you to 2136 and maybe take a few photos of the frame for me? ... thanks!

Once the frame is done and bonded with the body ... it's off the Connecticut Custom Car for paint!

After decades of dreaming and years of planning, construction of my car has begun. About (2) years ago, with the full support of my wife & family, I embarked on this journey that has ultimately led me to ERA.

Thanks also to all of those Club Cobra members, that have helped along the way to get me headed in the right direction and to help figure out what was right for me. I have more questions yet to come!

I'll update this build log from time to time ... comments and suggestions are welcome!

I am enjoying the whole process, but really looking forward to getting the car on the road and driving the dream!

- Tim

ERA 2136 Fresh From The Mold -- 8/28/09

ERA 2136 Headlight Detail -- 8/28/09

ERA 2136 First Rain -- 8/28/09
Old 09-01-2009, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

I am headed up there in a couple of days; I'll try to remember to bring my camera.

It is just me, or does it seem like ERA is getting more orders to FIA's than in the past?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 - #783
Not Ranked     

I think that may be my 427 body next to yours, as Peter just let me know last week that chassis #783 is for me. The body was finished about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to be posting my build specs later... but first I need to get back to work. doh.

Quick question though: when would be the best time to visit ERA? I was planning on just after my 427 returns from paint and before final assembly starts. Opinions?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
I am headed up there in a couple of days; I'll try to remember to bring my camera.

It is just me, or does it seem like ERA is getting more orders to FIA's than in the past?
Interesting you bring this up ... I asked Doug essentially the same question and he said that in the past year or two, there has been more interest in the small block cars than there used to be. They still do a lot of the 427's ... would be something to have one of each!

- Tim
Old 09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

And now they also offer the new slab sideed 289. That would have made my decision a lot tougher - I love the 289 body - and a slab sided street car would be really cool. This past Sunday am at a local Starbucks a guy and two women (one a TV host model) in running clothes were checking out my FIA. The guy said "now I would definitely take this before the Aston Martin. This is the real deal, correct". I said "well actually it IS a replica made by a company in Ct - ERA - that makes about 60 cars a year". They were quite surprised, said "well it's still a really nice car", and were still a little confused as my car has "antique" plates, as permitted here in Florida.
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
I think that may be my 427 body next to yours, as Peter just let me know last week that chassis #783 is for me. The body was finished about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to be posting my build specs later... but first I need to get back to work. doh.

Quick question though: when would be the best time to visit ERA? I was planning on just after my 427 returns from paint and before final assembly starts. Opinions?

Mooch ...

For me I planned on one visit (coming form California), so I wanted to make it count. I am tall and knew that I needed to have some adjustments made to the car, so it made sense to meet with Peter and have them make some measurements, prior to staring the chassis.

So ... if you have some special requests that would have an influence on the chassis, then the time to go is before the chassis is started. If you don't need anything special, the probably the time to go is after the car is back from paint and just going on the final assembly lift.

If you have the time and can manage the travel, then a couple of visits would be good. I know if I lived closer, I would stop by periodically just to check things out.

The other guys that have been though this process might have some good insights as well.

Regards,

- Tim
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Hey, Tim, great to see you're on the way!

When do you take delivery?

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd View Post
And now they also offer the new slab sideed 289. That would have made my decision a lot tougher - I love the 289 body - and a slab sided street car would be really cool. This past Sunday am at a local Starbucks a guy and two women (one a TV host model) in running clothes were checking out my FIA. The guy said "now I would definitely take this before the Aston Martin. This is the real deal, correct". I said "well actually it IS a replica made by a company in Ct - ERA - that makes about 60 cars a year". They were quite surprised, said "well it's still a really nice car", and were still a little confused as my car has "antique" plates, as permitted here in Florida.

Rick,

I seriously considered the new slab side, especially since I am going after the 'street' look, but I really like the look of the FIA fenders ... such a beautiful shape. So, my car will be more of a blend of the two ... 'street' & 'race'. ERA does make a nice car ... that's for sure. I'll post some 'build' specs soon.

- Tim
Old 09-01-2009, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Tim:
That body looks so much better at the seams than a standard FFR body!
Noticing on the body no recess for the fuel cap as you see in the body next to yours; are you planning the fuel tank filler just behind the seats like the Comp 289 did? you'll need a wind-screen for that too!

I can't wait to see your progress... but I'm NEVER going to give up my screen name!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

ERA has a great FIA! Congrats.......
Old 09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
I am tall and knew that I needed to have some adjustments made to the car, so it made sense to meet with Peter and have them make some measurements, prior to staring the chassis.

Tim, how big are your feet? I'm tall as well as having Bozo the Clown feet and Doug fabbed the pedals apart to give me more room.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your car being started. Take it from me, it's great to see some of the construction yourself (I was lucky however, as I live twenty minutes fron ERA). The time will fly by, and before you know it, you'll be taking delivery and then soon after the first ride. Do you have a plan for the paint (color)? What about the engine, will it be a 289 or a 351? Good luck.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
Hey, Tim, great to see you're on the way!

When do you take delivery?

DD

Doug,

I hope to get the car, as a painted roller, by the end of the year ... it's up to how things shake out at ERA.

Looking forward to the day when I can follow you around some of the roads in your neck of the woods!

- Tim
Old 09-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 289fia_cobra View Post
Tim:
That body looks so much better at the seams than a standard FFR body!
Noticing on the body no recess for the fuel cap as you see in the body next to yours; are you planning the fuel tank filler just behind the seats like the Comp 289 did? you'll need a wind-screen for that too!

I can't wait to see your progress... but I'm NEVER going to give up my screen name!!!

Herman,

The body next to mine with the recess for the filler cap, is for a 427 car. As you mentioned, on the FIA car, the fuel fuller is up high between the trunk opening and the back of the passenger seat. The fuel tank sits up, right behind the seats. The comp cars even had a splash guard to keep fuel from sloshing into the passenger area.

I agree ... you gotta keep your screen name ...

- Tim
Old 09-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Tim, how big are your feet? I'm tall as well as having Bozo the Clown feet and Doug fabbed the pedals apart to give me more room.

Patrick

Good point ... I have size 12, and did notice things were a bit tight in the foot box of the car I briefly sat in. I'll check with Doug to see what they can do ... the other option would be some driving shoes.

Do you have a 'dead' pedal in your car?

- Tim
Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Patrick

Good point ... I have size 12, and did notice things were a bit tight in the foot box of the car I briefly sat in. I'll check with Doug to see what they can do ... the other option would be some driving shoes.

Do you have a 'dead' pedal in your car?

- Tim
Yes, a dead pedal is important -- you don't want to rest your foot on the clutch pedal. This will give you an idea of the room Doug was able to squeeze out for me.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
Congrats on your car being started. Take it from me, it's great to see some of the construction yourself (I was lucky however, as I live twenty minutes fron ERA). The time will fly by, and before you know it, you'll be taking delivery and then soon after the first ride. Do you have a plan for the paint (color)? What about the engine, will it be a 289 or a 351? Good luck.
ZOERA-SC7XX

Thanks!

According to Google Maps, from my house to ERA it's 3,034 miles door to door. I wish I was a lot closer ... if so, I would be a frequent visitor to ERA if that was the case.

I'll post a more detailed build plan, but in a nutshell for paint a medium to dark blue, BRG or black and with a 289 / 302 motor.

- Tim
Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes, a dead pedal is important -- you don't want to rest your foot on the clutch pedal. This will give you an idea of the room Doug was able to squeeze out for me.

Patrick,

Thanks for the photo ... I'll put this on my list to go over with Doug during assembly. Those guys are good at figuring this stuff out. I like the prop for your tape measure, very clever!

- Tim
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Build List ... Subject to change (as time allows!)

The Big Picture ...
- FIA Body, no hood scoop, no trunk bumps or oil cooler scoop --- Done !
- Grill & Bumpers, probably skip the nudge bar on the front
- FIA dash, moved slightly upwards to allow for more knee room, I really like the drop dash, but there is no way I can fit in the car with it
- Motor --- a 289 or 302, about 300 to 350 HP ... needs to be able to survive idling in hot traffic. Want something that is professionally built and run in on a dyno
- Strongly favoring medium to dark Blue ... but would consider BRG ... or Black ???
- No stripes
- Black roll bar
- Modified under car exhaust (black) ... using the under car mufflers, but they exit before the rear wheel (like the GT-350)
- Most likely the TKO600 with 0.82 OD with 3.31 or 3.54 differential (maybe a W/R top-loader?)
- Wheels --- Not sure --- Torque Thrust 'D' or Pin Drive ??? ... either way, want black inner wheel with a polished lip
- Rear suspension ... most likely go with the standard Jag rear end ... for street use, this should be more than adequate - Sway bars front and back
- Heater and Wipers, no top ... but with a tonneau cover
- The newer ERA seats with the rubber suspension membrane under the seat cushion ... possibly leather instead of the vinyl

Those are the major items ... there are a lot of other little bits and pieces to consider ... all in due time.

Comments or suggestions are welcome!

- Tim
Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Tim,

Great to see you're build is well on it's way! Since it's not technically a roller yet, I'll back you up when you say the car has "never seen the rain."

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it