Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Crankshaft Dampner Separated -- Arghh!

EDIT -- This thread has detailed pics and steps on the R&R of a Ford FE harmonic balancer (dampner), the choice of new dampner types, torque values involved, and suggestions on making the job easier.

Dang, trying to get to the pig roast and I hear a funny "clanging" noise from my engine -- almost like ringing a bell. Opened the hood and what a pleasant surprise:

Last edited by patrickt; 11-02-2016 at 11:46 AM..
Old 06-12-2010, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Arizona made damper attempting to get away from the fan belt???

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 06-12-2010, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow-you must have buzzed that thing to almost 5000!
Those balancers are junk-you can thank Joe for that selection.

You can get it off and on in the car. Use a puller and installation tool. Make sure the new one is about .0003" press fit. They can be honed if too tight-send it back if too loose. And use a new ARP bolt.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Wow-you must have buzzed that thing to almost 5000!
Those balancers are junk-you can thank Joe for that selection.

You can get it off and on in the car. Use a puller and installation tool. Make sure the new one is about .0003" press fit. They can be honed if too tight-send it back if too loose. And use a new ARP bolt.
You're right, it is a piece of crap. What do you recommend for a replacement?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

The Professional Products balancers are a good balancer for the money. Good fit, comes with a pulley....
Old 06-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
The Professional Products balancers are a good balancer for the money. Good fit, comes with a pulley....
Thanks. What would you recommend though as the the best one, regardless of cost? And what would make that one better than a basic one (that doesn't come flying apart, that is).

Last edited by patrickt; 06-12-2010 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 06-12-2010, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You're right, it is a piece of crap. What do you recommend for a replacement?
Brent mentions a good choice-also BHJ and of course ATI are quality balancers. Think BHJ is the cheapest and not sure if ATI makes an FE application.

Here's mine:

Innovators West:
http://www.innovatorswest.com/store/...d&productId=20

Ain't cheap but SFI approved, fluid filled, all aluminum and degreed all around. Took three pounds off the crank nose compared to what you had. Bulletproof and Art is a great guy to work with.
You may not want a race-capable piece like this but don't skimp-you already have an $800 flywheel, right??
Old 06-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You may not want a race-capable piece like this but don't skimp-you already have an $800 flywheel, right??
Yep, needlessly pissed away a good bit on that CenterForce aluminum flywheel. I see the ATIs for me are around $375, the Fluidamper comes in around $433, and the high end Professional Product is around $245, and the cheap crap is all below that. Why is there such a disparity in price? If the existing balancer just pulls off without the need for a puller tool, is it still necessary to use an "installation tool?" I've never done that in the past.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ATI is the best - the FE one is roughly 7 degrees off on the TDC marking and uses a Chevy pulley bolt pattern. More race car quality at just under $400. I have no experience with BHJ, but they should be comparable.

The next one I would use is a Romac - nicely made Australian piece availalble in either a reproduction 427 (single timing marking and a pulley) or a fully marked aluminum ring model. Both are really decent parts that use FE mountings, at just under $300.

The Professional Products stuff is Chinese made, inexpensive, and fine for a budget oriented street build. Not in the same quality league as the ATI or Romac.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 06-12-2010, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've heard bad things about the Fluidamper (the brand not the type). I can't substantiate what I heard but am very glad I got the Innovators piece. It's been on the motor for 12 seasons-plus it's rebuildable by Art. The Fluidamper is sealed so it's not.

Price depends on steel or aluminum, fluid or solid and where manufactured as well as the precision of machining. ATI's are very good-I've seen them run on dynos to 8000+.

About removal/install; you don't have room to pry (barbaric) in the car anyway so don't skimp-buy or borrow the tools. I've seen guys hammer them on (also barbaric) but the tools actually make it easier in the car. I did it on my back. Good new is you can use your impact wrench to spin the bolt off. Going on you gotta put it in gear (rear tires on ground) because they all want well over 100 lbft of torque.

Interference fit is vital-that's why you need the install tool. You can't just push these on. Do this; take your dial caliper (that reads to .0000") and measure the crank snout-take readings in 4 places around the nose. In my case, I called Art, told him my numbers and he honed one to my proper press fit. Every manufacturer wants a different number so if you buy an ATI for instance, measure the damper ID and their installation sheet will tell you the press they want. Compare to your crank's OD and do the math. If it's too tight, go to a local machinist and get it honed. Too loose and send it back for another.

Get an ARP bolt-don't reuse old one-torque to damper's spec. Don't lose the woodruff key!

Last edited by ERA Chas; 06-12-2010 at 04:26 PM..
Old 06-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
ATI is the best - the FE one is roughly 7 degrees off on the TDC marking and uses a Chevy pulley bolt pattern. More race car quality at just under $400. I have no experience with BHJ, but they should be comparable.
Thanks Barry -- ATI it is. BTW, Amazon wrote me that they shipped your book to me on Friday.

Quote:
About removal/install; you don't have room to pry (barbaric) in the car anyway so don't skimp-buy or borrow the tools. I've seen guys hammer them on (also barbaric) but the tools actually make it easier in the car. I did it on my back. Good new is you can use your impact wrench to spin the bolt off. Going on you gotta put it in gear (rear tires on ground) because they all want well over 100 lbft of torque.
OK, I'll do it your way. As much as you are a PITA, you're generally more right than wrong -- thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
OK, I'll do it your way. As much as you are a PITA, you're generally more right than wrong -- thanks.
Barry gives the best reason-the OE's are never accurate with the timing marks.

I'm glad to share if I've gone through something that can help somebody-EVEN you. Just glad that thing didn't frag at 70 MPH on the way to your haberdasher...
Old 06-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This looks like it might fit the bill: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-918290/ What do you think? Looks like they're a little back ordered on it though.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fine-just check with Barry that the 3 bolt pulley you have works with that and make sure the fan belt lines up correctly when all bolted up. And order the bolt at the same time.

Just curious, the Innovators is $35 cheaper...?
Old 06-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, lemmee look at the Innovators again. In the meantime, Barry will this pulley work on the ATI 918290?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

patrick,
i have used several BHJ dampners and i like them alot, they come with or without an SFI rating, i also purchased BHJ's honing plate, their quality is excellent and the timing marks are right on. you can buy direct from them but keith craft racing was selling them below BHJ's price. they will have the ford bolt pattern....
Old 06-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, after reading the ATI 2010 Performance Catalog I'm pretty sure my pulley won't fit. You know, I've heard of them slipping before, but never coming completely apart.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

As mentioned earlier he ATI is one of the best but the bolt pattern for the pulley is the same as BBC. All you have to do to your pulley is egg shape the bolt holes a little, it centers on the ring in the center so you are fine. I do not for sure about the timing marks as mentioned before but you could use a piston stop to check TDC. The BHJ or nice as well plus we are now using a lot of the Pioneer dampers which are a less expensive unit made in Australia that come either as a SFI approved unit or not. Let us know if we can help.

Thanks, Keith
Old 06-13-2010, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Used ATI for 14 years

patrickt Pat have 14 years on the FE motor one without any problems except when the motor is in cold weather. The internal weight in the fluid take longer to zero out the vibrations of the motor. It can be real ugly for a minute or 2 until the fluid heats. They are rebuildable. The FE one I have has only BBC bolt pattern for the pulley like others have said. I did the same thing and ob longed the mounting holes to make the crank pulley work. The pulley does center on the dampener. Mark slots on the pulley and with a good deremal tool cut out the slots. Use good bolts and washers to install. I also use a little blue locktite. What you have is the problem with rubber dampeners and higher rpm motors. The rubber looses grip over time. Be happy that it didn't go the other way and take out the belt, hood or coolant system. You can get that dampener rebuilt. I would have to look up the number for this. Rick L.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You will need to nibbl on the mounting holes a bit with that pulley and the ATI. We use the Bridgeport to do it 'cuz we have one - but you can do it by hand with a die grinder or whatever. About 1/2 a hole diameter toward the outside should do the job.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: