Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Flywheel with Tremec TKO 600

I was wondering which flywheel everybody likes for an aluminum Shelby 427 FE with a Tremec TKO600 Transmission. I see the Kirkhams recommend an aluminum flywheel, but it is 575.00. I have had aluminum flywheels in cars in the past and i do not necessarily care for them. I always found it annoying how it took longer for the revs to drop.

Anyway, please let me know your thoughts on this matter.
Thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoCreations View Post
I have had aluminum flywheels in cars in the past and i do not necessarily care for them. I always found it annoying how it took longer for the revs to drop.
That's interesting. My experience, and my conversations with other Cobra owners, show just the opposite -- that it revs down faster than a traditional heavy flywheel. I have a Centerforce aluminum flywheel, and it's quite nice. It's a running joke though that I overpaid for it by a good couple of hundred bucks.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That's interesting. My experience, and my conversations with other Cobra owners, show just the opposite
ditto what patrickt said.
While I have no experience comparing flywheels, simple physics says that a heavier flywheel will be harder (take longer) to rev up as well as take longer to come down, although the difference may be negligible to us mortals.
rodneym
Old 12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'll go one step further and say that it is my belief that an aluminum flywheel makes high rev shifts a bit safer because the likelihood of breaking the rear loose is lessened. Personally, I don't like breaking the tires loose on, say, the 2-3 shift at just under 70MPH. With the aluminum flywheel, it feels like the lesser amount of "stored energy" eases the shift somewhat. Now, of course, I could just be fooling myself.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Just finishing my 6th Cobra and this one is a 496 all aluminum FE with aluminum flywheel. All my Cobras have had an aluminum flywheel...
Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Aluminum is probably the right material for a road race application like a Cobra. The Fidanza is readily available (normally - they're on backorder right now with a January delivery date...) for under $400 and will work fine.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I prefer steel flywheels for street applications but you'll get differing opinions on that. If you're using an 11" Long style clutch, then the PRW billet steel flywheel is very nice for the money. If you're using an 11.5"/12" clutch, then you'll have to resort to one of the McLeod wheels.

If you're set on the aluminum wheels, the Fidanza wheel is about the best that I've seen. They weigh 14 lbs and have multiple clutch patterns along with a removable weight. I have them in stock and they are the best bang for the buck.....way cheaper than the McLeod, RAM, or Centerforce pieces.

If you would like some further information, feel free to email, PM, or give me a call: 502.759.1431
Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
ditto what patrickt said.
While I have no experience comparing flywheels, simple physics says that a heavier flywheel will be harder (take longer) to rev up as well as take longer to come down, although the difference may be negligible to us mortals.
rodneym
You're right Im tired and was thinking about the wrong engine combo from a long time ago-it was actually a very heavy cast flywheel. I had a clutch slippage problem with the aluminum flywheel.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I have aluminum and wonder if a steel flywheel wouldn't buck just a little less. I put the clutch in a lot to coast to a smooth stop. Someone should put a pencil to it an figure out if the momentum of a steel vs aluminum is significant compared to the momentum of the vehicle. The problem with driving impressions is your mind makes you think you prefer one over the other.....It is hard to be subjective.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Where you'll notice the difference is on the take-off.

Taking off on a hill with a finicky engine and a big cam can be hard on the clutch with an aluminum flywheel. That's why I like the steels for street use. You can almost just let the clutch out without giving it any gas...

You'll notice the revs (both going up and coming down) will be quicker with the aluminum.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
I have aluminum and wonder if a steel flywheel wouldn't buck just a little less. I put the clutch in a lot to coast to a smooth stop. Someone should put a pencil to it an figure out if the momentum of a steel vs aluminum is significant compared to the momentum of the vehicle. The problem with driving impressions is your mind makes you think you prefer one over the other.....It is hard to be subjective.
i have both with similiar engines, the heavier flywheel will "buck" a little less, how much is subjective but a heavy flywheel will do this also. quicker acceleration, quicker deceleration would be the benefits of a light flywheel, this part is noticeable.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

We certainly don't recommend an 11" clutch. You'll burn it up almost immediately. If you want a steel flywheel (no way on earth I'd use a cast iron flywheel), I'll post another one on the Attic sale in a bit--if I can find one

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 12-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
We certainly don't recommend an 11" clutch. You'll burn it up almost immediately. If you want a steel flywheel (no way on earth I'd use a cast iron flywheel), I'll post another one on the Attic sale in a bit--if I can find one

David
The special one that y'all made that had all the holes in it is about as cool as it gets when it comes to flywheels. It's too bad you can't see it except when you're putting your clutch on.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The special one that y'all made that had all the holes in it is about as cool as it gets when it comes to flywheels. It's too bad you can't see it except when you're putting your clutch on.
I have one in the prototype billet chassis car. It is a wild ride

David
Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

David
David, I hate to disagree, but I've used 11" clutches for years on high horsepower big blocks, FE's, small blocks, you name it. Also, most aftermarket FE/385 series flywheels are only drilled for an 11" Long pattern so you don't have a choice.

There's absolutely no reason that you have to use an 11.5"/12" clutch, and there's no reason to give McLeod $350-400 for one of their flywheels so that you can do so.

The only way you'll burn one up is if you use a stock replacement disc behind a 450-500hp engine, or use a Centerforce....

I find that the biggest mistake made by dealers/installers is that they think they can get away with cheap clutch kits because Cobras are so light. A lot of my Club Cobra business comes from people needing to redo what the dealers did during the install. If you buy a kit to hold the horsepower, no matter 10.5", 11", or 11.5", you won't have any trouble with it.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW, X 2 on the cast iron wheels....
Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Brent,

Hey, Please disagree all you want! I'm always glad to learn something new. What a great site. I'm always happy to save $$$ too. Thanks for the info!

You are right. It isn't the 11 inch diameter that is the problem (the clutch in the billet chassis car is only 7 1/2" in diameter). The problem must have been the disk.

David
Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David, you carry such clout on this website and I (along with everyone else) have a lot of respect for you.

You can understand that I didn't want all my Club Cobra customers in a panic, while dialing my number... "Hey, you sold me an 11" clutch and DK says it won't work!"

An 11" is perfectly fine as long as the whole package (plate and disc) is matched together.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
David, you carry such clout on this website and I (along with everyone else) have a lot of respect for you.

You can understand that I didn't want all my Club Cobra customers in a panic, while dialing my number... "Hey, you sold me an 11" clutch and DK says it won't work!"

An 11" is perfectly fine as long as the whole package (plate and disc) is matched together.
I don't claim to have all the answers by any means. I am happy to learn from those with more and/or newer experience. Our experience with 11 inch clutches, I must admit, is old. When they didn't work, we quit using them. That doesn't mean someone hasn't come out with a newer, better product.

After all, I have a 8" clutch in my car. Granted, it is a twin disk.

David
Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

David
Thank you David, but i ordered a McCleod Steel flywheel last night from summit. I did not think you would stumble onto another one.

Brent-I meant to call you, but I was already placing a large order with summit racing. I will hit you up for the bellhousing and some of the other parts in the very near future.
Thanks