Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Dry sump vs wet sump

I am going to be changing pans (tagged it again)
I have the option of going with a custom low profile wet sump pan, or a dry sump system.

Obviously the dry sump is going to give me better insurance against pressure loss, in hard cornering, hill climbing etc.
BUT
For day to day driving, and long haul cruises, what is the reliability of a dry sump system and pump? It's important to me, not to be broken down on the side of the road.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

It will be as reliable as you build it, meaning dont use cheap parts.

Last edited by fordracing65; 06-28-2011 at 03:02 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

A dry sump system is going to be mucho expensivo. If the majority of your driving is street, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a good high volume pump, an oil pan with trap doors, and an Accusump for emergencies.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

IMO, if there's more pieces (lines, pump, tank, etc.), it's more complicated and more things to go wrong. I thought about dry sumping my FE, but the dizzying array of extra parts changed my mind. When I see extra oil lines and connections, I see potential future leaks and leaks in general drive me nuts.

Also, with an oil cooler, the oil takes a long time to heat up. I can't imagine how long it would take to get the oil over in a separate oil tank to heat up, unless they make some sort of oil heater to go along with it.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

well they do make heaters to warm up the oil--and when you consider all the lines and fittings for a cooler, remote filter and accusump you will be about as complex as the dry sump system---
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
A dry sump system is going to be mucho expensivo. If the majority of your driving is street, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a good high volume pump, an oil pan with trap doors, and an Accusump for emergencies.
Brent speakum truthem. When I toyed with the idea during my build process six years ago the ballpark estimate for a nice Aviaid system, with all the additional accessories, was going to top out at over three grand. And that was then....

EDIT: Here is a price sheet, I don't know how old it is: http://www.aviaid.com/pdfs/fe.pdf

Last edited by patrickt; 06-28-2011 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Price Sheet
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default I'm Betting...

... that if I put my car on flatbed and sent it to Jerry or Brent and told them to put in a new Aviaid dry sump and to make it look perfect the bill would start with a "4" -- maybe.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
... that if I put my car on flatbed and sent it to Jerry or Brent and told them to put in a new Aviaid dry sump and to make it look perfect the bill would start with a "4" -- maybe.
Sheesh. With cutting the fender and mounting all that stuff, including the tank, using top quality parts like Aviaid, making sure nothing leaks, etc., my guy, who I would trust to do that kind of work, would charge $10K. I'd bet.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Sheesh. With cutting the fender and mounting all that stuff, including the tank, using top quality parts like Aviaid, making sure nothing leaks, etc., my guy, who I would trust to do that kind of work, would charge $10K. I'd bet.
Uhhh, Brent and I will hop on a plane and fly out and put it in for you for ten grand. Right Brent?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhhh, Brent and I will hop on a plane and fly out and put it in for you for ten grand. Right Brent?
Who said I trusted you guys, especially with cutting into my polished aluminum fender.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Ok, Ill play.

It seems that I have read about alot of wet sump issues on this board. Twisted and seized drive rods, stripped dist gears and sheared roll pins seem almost common. As dry sump pumps rarely drive off of the cam, those wouldn’t exist, thus removing a common oil system failure source.
Dry sumps pumps seem very reliable, the NASCAR guys sure spend good money on them.
They are more expensive and more complex from a plumbing standpoint. But in return they provide many benefits, Uninterrupted oil flow, actual scavenging and crankcase vacuum (without a separate pump), higher pumping efficiency, tunable pressure, increased ground clearance, greater system volume etc. In addition to the obvious performance benefits, the pump is outside the motor, service can be done without pulling the pan.
From a performance standpoint there is no comparison, dry sump wins.
Is it worth the added cost/complexity? That’s your call..

Jason
Old 06-28-2011, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well-----I have used lots of aviaid stuff over the years and some of the stuff I developed and/or helped Davis and Rodney with are still popular items---

And just to be specific---I was there working on my camshaft driven oil/fuel pump in early 70s I got pressed into helping make the scavage pumps for the bearings on the turbo chargers for the Offies---
Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-CEL View Post
Is it worth the added cost/complexity? That’s your call..

Jason
Well, yes, if you set aside the cost and complexity issues, I agree, dry sump wins.

And, if you set aside the calories, carbs, fat and sugar, then chocolate cake wins too.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

do they have fuel injected chocolate cake????
Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, All aluminum small block ford.
Not Ranked     

There is the option of doing a wetsump external. you can run the shorter clearance pan and still get the pump outside of the engine. Then its just a single stage pump, no tank simple lines. You get the added 20 to 30 hp, the constant supply, adjustable pressure all the benefits while eliminating alot of the headaches. We had setup like that on our supercomp dragster...worked well. Just food for thought.

Gene
Old 06-28-2011, 02:48 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

On a wet sump the oil pump drive shaft is enclosed by the engine.
On a dry sump the belt drive is open to the weather.
On a wet sump the camshaft is driving the oil pump.
On a dry sump the crank shaft is driving the oil pump.

If you are eating lots of distributor gears...
Old 06-28-2011, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #625 427S/C, 468 ci Al block, 615 HP
Not Ranked     

It seems to me that there is no benefit to spending a lot of money on a dry sump system unless you are building a race and not a road car. If you fit the right sump and keep it full of oil you can reliably drive as hard as you want, even occasionally on the track, and keep your oil pressure at a reliable level.

Your question did get me thinking about why there are a few road cars that have long been fitted with dry sumps for the road, the Porsche flat 6 (997) and the Ferrari V8 (430 & 458) come to mind, and why their engineers concluded the complexity was necessary. In both cases the tank and some of the plumbing are integrated into the engine and incorporate water/oil intercoolers to eliminate the remote oil cooler. The oil comes up to temperature very quickly as a result of the intercooler. The additional reliability gained by having the oil brought rapidly up to temperature and the offset of remote cooler appears to tip the balance, particularly in engines with very high rpm capability. Porsche uses this to specify 10000 mile oil changes. Ferrari combines transmission fluid intercooling through the same block (separate fluid) in the F1 box as well, so it is more difficult for some hero to try one of the sub-100ms shifts with cold transmission oil. None of these reliability benefits will translate in an aftermarket fitment.

I'd spend the money on more horsepower!

Mark
Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the responses;
My #5 bearing, last year. (the last bearing in the topoiler FE to get oil)

I just want to make sure, whatever I do, the pan does the job.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have seen a couple high powered engines loose oil pressure on hard acceleration. My theory was the oil is getting pushed to the back of the pan starving the pump suction, this included a car with a baffled 8 quart pan. Same engine going in 2nd gear steady at 6000 rpm had 60 psig oil pressure, during hard acceleration it would drop to 50 psig before owner got nervous and let off. I told him dry sump but had no idea of the cost.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

All the failures of wet sump systems referred to earlier in this thread are almost entirely the result of improper part selection. You can make the same poor part selection with a dry sump system, but you have many more opportunities for mistakes. I would never run a dry sump system in a cobra or any other project unless it was exclusively used for racing with a regular racing maintanence schedule.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA

Last edited by mreid; 06-29-2011 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: can't tell the difference between wet and dry!