Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
I second the Roush!

Plus, to the masses, when you raise the hood, its an engine most everyone has heard of.
Heard of the number, yes, but it will never be a big block. When somebody asks what engine, I bet you say 427, not 427 small block.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 05-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Agree with Fred. If you're going to drive it daily, a lower HP small block would be the way to go. There are a few guys here that use their cars as daily drivers, but there's no way I could do it.

Congrats on your decision to buy a SPF and good luck with your engine choice!

Now back to reading one of the three threads going on....

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Drive both, then decide engine. After decide engine search Keith craft, blykins and roush go with the one who provides the best customer service. If I were doing it again it would be a very challenging decision between kc and blykins, I have communicated with both on diifferent engine topics, in the end since I am an engineer, used to live in Louisville would prop go with blykins on the flip side kc in Arkansas is just a competent.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you real smart you would find a used one with the engine you like save the $15k off the price of a new one and actually see touch and drive the car before you purchased. When you buy new you don't know the end product until you have turned over a lot of$$$
Old 05-28-2012, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And if you just want to look at Cobra replicas, Dennis usually has several used ones in the showroom, then in Charlotte there is Streetside Classics who currently have five, as well as RK Motors in Charlote who have another five. All can be viewed on-line. Or a very short drive for you.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

Someone once told me to go with your gut. Regrets, especially with these cars generally means a pretty short ownership. My gut told me "raging all aluminum big block ". No regrets.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[
My gut says you have $$$$$$$$$$

QUOTE=philminotti;1192558]Someone once told me to go with your gut. Regrets, especially with these cars generally means a pretty short ownership. My gut told me "raging all aluminum big block ". No regrets.[/quote]
Old 05-28-2012, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=madmaxx;1192559][
My gut says you have $$$$$$$$$$

Well, it was expensive, but I built it myself over 8 years a little at a time. For me it was, and has been, worth the wait. And I don't even have the car yet. To each his own...

Last edited by philminotti; 05-28-2012 at 05:06 PM..
Old 05-28-2012, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1962, 427 SO
Not Ranked     

FE, no question.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And one more opinion...

I may be way off base, but unless you plan on using a Ford crate engine (coyote, etc), you should have at least some minimal competence with a wrench. Whether you go with a stroked Windsor or an FE, remember that these things are the opposite of a Honda Accord. JMHO.

phil
Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your response. I love Melbourne. I toured Australia and New Zealand in 2009. What a blast can't wait to go back hopefully in 2013... I actually saw a 427 Cobra in person for the first time during that '09 BIG DAY OUT Festival Tour. I was having lunch at a sidewalk cafe while visiting the Gold Coast. I'll never forget saying to myself "I don't know what kind of car that is, but I want one!". It was AMAZING!!!!

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life!!!"
Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Fred for all the advice. I'll also look into the mass flo injection option as I plan to use my car as a daily driver here in NC. We don't have really harsh winters like in the Midwest or Northeast US but, it does get cold Dec. - March so I like the easy start point of view. 10-4 on the "Pay Attention and 100%BE AWARE" tips. I have a healthy respect for what these great driving machines can do. Thanks again...

Chris
Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Stentor. I was out of town this weekend so I wasn't able to attend the Cobra event in Raleigh(: Thanks for the heads up though on everything. I'm hoping there are some Cobra events close to me in Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte surrounding areas this summer that I might be able to attend...

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life"
Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

One other thought. If you are planning on using this as a daily driver, you may want to seriously consider going with a 427 street car (under car exhauset) or a 289 where the exhaust is slightly tucked under the car. I love my BB FE and sidepipes but it you drive it every day, sooner or later those pipes will bite you or your passenger.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

There is a 1966 new original 427 sideoiler, built by Holmon Moody for sale in the private party section for only $15K If it can be verified! This is a STEAL Also, it's One hell of a ride! At least mine is!!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Braggin' View Post
Hi Stentor. I was out of town this weekend so I wasn't able to attend the Cobra event in Raleigh(: Thanks for the heads up though on everything. I'm hoping there are some Cobra events close to me in Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte surrounding areas this summer that I might be able to attend...
I was in the parking lot of Hardees when Stentor pulled in on Saturday. The sound of an FE big block is unmistakable (especially when it's a 514 CID, all aluminum I believe, built by Keith Craft, with a big honkin' stack of 58 IDA Webers).

I am all for the practicality of a well tuned small block, but I gotta say, after seeing/hearing that monster, it has me reconsidering my future choices. Talk about sights and sounds. Hoo boy. Hope Stentor doesn't mind my shameless plug.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

whoops. Double post.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by crASH View Post
I was in the parking lot of Hardees when Stentor pulled in on Saturday. The sound of an FE big block is unmistakable (especially when it's a 514 CID, all aluminum I believe, built by Keith Craft, with a big honkin' stack of 58 IDA Webers).

I am all for the practicality of a well tuned small block, but I gotta say, after seeing/hearing that monster, it has me reconsidering my future choices. Talk about sights and sounds. Hoo boy. Hope Stentor doesn't mind my shameless plug.
crASH, thanks for the kind words. It was good to see you on Saturday.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

I have the Roush 402R in an SPF and the BB FE, s.o. in a CSX replica. They are both excellent engines and both go like hell. The Roush may get a bit more attention at a show (believe it or not). They both sound great and look great, you can't miss with either. Whichever one you decide on, I would strongly recommend a 5 speed transmission for sure.

Happy motoring!