Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-27-2012, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default FE 427SO or Roush 427SR?

Let me first start off by saying, I'm a Newbie to this community and I want to thank all of you for your helpful and informative threads about my ultimate dream car the 1965 Shelby Cobra 427.

After researching my dream car for over 7 months, I've decided that I'm going to order and purchase a Superformance MKIII. My big dilemma is, what is the best engine to go with. My desired use for my car is to drive it everyday and on long weekend cruise trips. I plan to have some very limited track use but mostly street driving. I want to have the title registered as 1965 vintage car so I don't have to worry about smog tests etc. All that said, please post your thoughts on the Roush 427SR VS. the Ford FE 427SO. What's the best choice for me? And, can I get both engine types registered in NC as a 1965 vintage car?

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life!!!"
Old 05-27-2012, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Search here for Roush Windsors as there's ton of negative experiences.
An SO is ALWAYS the smarter choice.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

The Roush 427SR in my SPF GT40 has been faultless after 11,000 miles. 3 other SPF owners in our local club have the same engine in Cobras with no complaints. That being said there have been complaints about Roush on this forum. I'm not familiar with FE's, but the 427SR is very streetable with plenty of torque for occasional track days.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

FE all the way!

I drive a small block but my next Cobra would have a big block. I have driven a couple of Cobras with big blocks. Very streetable, very easy to drive, any gear is passing gear.

And the sound!!! Big Block noise! When Lainhart pulls into a car show with his 427 s.o. stroker, everyone stops and watches till he get parked.

Dwight
Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

You are asking the question to a group of mostly biased enthusiasts! I have a Roush 427 SRTW and couldn't be happier. I did buy it used however. If I were buying something new, I might be tempted to get the Coyote 5 liter in a red SPF. Yep, that's my vote and I don't even have a red Cobra!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your input! I think if I don't end up getting a an BB FE 427SO, I will heavily consider thr Roush 427SRTW.

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life!"
Old 05-27-2012, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, I really do want to test drive a BB 427SO. What a great engine!

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life!"
Old 05-27-2012, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your input! I can't wait to test drive an BB FE 427SO. I appreciate the history of Carroll Shelby's original so much that I just have to try it. I'm looking forward to heading to Olthoff Racing and check them out. Oh yeah, you are so right nothing sounds like a BB FE 427SO... It's Unreal!!!

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life!"
Old 05-27-2012, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Congrats, and best of luck with your project...

FWIW:
IF I was consigning an SPF, I'd opt for a 408Windsor, something in the 500/500 mark is bang on... but it wouldn't be from Roush.

If I was looking at a daily driver scenario like you explained, I'd opt for Coyote or if you could stomach GM - LS series engine (LS7 most likely).

Reality is... they are not the best daily drivers, despite you wishing, or thinking, or even wanting it to be.

Kindest regards
Old 05-28-2012, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I have 6000 miles on my Roush 427R. Runs like a swiss watch. I was also torn between a BB and Roush. I drove 2 SPFs back to back. One had a Shelby all aluminum 427BB, the other had a 427R Roush SB. The heat from the BB was Huge compared to the SB. I live in Florida so heat was an issue. If you can, drive both and see how they compare in the North Carolina heat.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for you comments. I've heard a lot about the heat from BB 427's. I've often wondered in you can special order extra insulation between you and the cockpit firewall when you speak with SPF to cut down on the heat in the cockpit? At any rate, I am going to test drive both BB & SB SPF Cobra's to check it out. I do know this, I plan to dive my SPF MKIII everyday when I get it so I don't want to over heated in the cockpit. I've dreamed of a car like this my whole life so I want to enjoy every ride! Thanks again...

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life!"
Old 05-28-2012, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I second the Roush!

Mine has 12,000 miles. Pulls like a freight train and can be as docile as a 302, unless you push down on the gas pedal. And heat is not a concern.

Plus, to the masses, when you raise the hood, its an engine most everyone has heard of.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
I second the Roush!

Mine has 12,000 miles. Pulls like a freight train and can be as docile as a 302, unless you push down on the gas pedal. And heat is not a concern.

Plus, to the masses, when you raise the hood, its an engine most everyone has heard of.
They only know its a Roush if you use the valve covers, those are some expensive valve covers.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Jim! I've seen online and heard so many good things about the Roush 427SRTW from SPF owners. I love the SPF product and hopefully sometime this year I'll finally be able to take my test at Olthoff Racing here in NC. When I get my MKIII I plan to drive it all the way to CA and then drive up and down PCH like I used to in the 90's. Man, I really miss those West Coast drives. Thanks again for your input...

Chris
Old 05-28-2012, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     

Goopie 18, how did the sound vary in your comparison of the BB vs SB?
I know this gentleman would like to know as would I !
Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
They only know its a Roush if you use the valve covers, those are some expensive valve covers.
Got a roush air cleaner too.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Got a roush air cleaner too.
That makes it worth it then.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     

Chris. I must admit I asked Goopie 18 to give his opinion on sound to see his take side by side. Actually I have a 427 W in my car. Had it for over 5 years and zero issues. It isn't Roush but rather CHP here in Calif. it does have 550 hp and same torque. When I pull up to car folks, they can't tell the diff. It obviously has a huge cam and the like but point is...... Sounds awesome! I also went Mass Flo injection. So much ease in starts in any temp and just drives smooth, plus the throttle body air cleaner gives the look a more orig theme vs other injection version.
If driving daily, this idea is worth considering. Not sure I would hit the real high hp as it would be a tad more relaxing w say, 400ish. But of course, driving a C.......A isn't really supposed to be relaxing! Takes awareness 100%,
Oh, yeah, I have 28,800 miles on it, so I know!
Have fun, be safe, and stay alert!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Braggin' View Post
Thanks for your input! I can't wait to test drive an BB FE 427SO. I appreciate the history of Carroll Shelby's original so much that I just have to try it. I'm looking forward to heading to Olthoff Racing and check them out. Oh yeah, you are so right nothing sounds like a BB FE 427SO... It's Unreal!!!

Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life!"
Olthoff will likely try to steer you toward a small block.

There is a Cobra get-together in Raleigh this coming Saturday--you would be able to see/hear cars with FEs and small blocks.

Engine choice comes down to personal preference and budget. If you can swing it, an aluminum FE can give you the best of both worlds.

Holman & Moody is not far from you--they could build a mean FE for your SPF.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Braggin' View Post
Thanks for you comments. I've heard a lot about the heat from BB 427's. I've often wondered in you can special order extra insulation between you and the cockpit firewall when you speak with SPF to cut down on the heat in the cockpit?
Cobra Braggin'
"Cobra Man For Life!"
Olthoff can add extra insulation--during the install--to help mitigate cockpit heat.

With a name like "Cobra Braggin," one could posit that you'd be inclined to go with an FE big block.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: