Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2003, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Windage tray/scraper,needed for street ?

My machine work on my 428 is nearly complete. For the street, is the windage tray, scraper, baffled & gatted oil pan needed or recomended ? If so, who's is best for the FE's ? Also, how about the valve spring cover in the heads for reducing oil splash ? (I'm using solid lifters) And last, a valley pan. Is that also, just for keeping splash on the intake ? I've been thinking latley of buying a 7-8 qt. Milodon (or other) oil pan with the baffles & gate. I don't really want to afford a Canton pan. UNLESS SOMEONE HAS ONE TO SELL........CHEAP ! hehe!
Thanks,
Kev
Old 09-04-2003, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also, front or rear sump ?
Old 09-04-2003, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Needed... no
recommended...yes
valley pan...mine saved me from having two pieces of broken valvespring from getting into anything, they just sat on the intake valley baffle. It may even keep the intake cooler
Old 09-04-2003, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just checked Cantons web-site & the "more capacity" 8 qt. is $225 + oil pump & pickup. The "road race" is $300 plus pump/pickup. Hum ??? Cheaper any where else ?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 FE Center Oiler w/ 48 IDA Webers
Send a message via AIM to zimmy
Not Ranked     

Kevin:

My engine builder said that the valley tray is very definitely needed. He also uses a windage tray even for street. Keeps the oil from frothing from the crank spray, etc. Also good for a couple extra horses.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pan- (more cap.) $225
Oil pump- $48
pickup- $45
windage tray- $90 (!)
---------
$408 + valley pan

I know not to go cheap on a motor but....whew !
Old 09-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

Okay, not to sound dumb or anything, but I just recently learned of the advantages of a Windage tray and now I hear you guys talking about a Valley tray. What is it and where does it go??
Old 09-04-2003, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Under the intake. What all...it does ? My question also.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

The valley tray prevents hot oil from splashing onto the bottom of the intake. But more importantly, it catches any debris that may come off your valvetrain, and prevents it from falling down onto the cam and through the crank / rods. Mine paid for itself when it caught valvespring pieces and held them safely away from any moving parts.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

Okay, I'm on the "HUNT" again...looking for one for a 5.0/302, Thanks Mr. Fixit, youv'e come throught once again............
Old 09-05-2003, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

The oil stuck to a rotating crank can represent a rotational force of 60 lbs at speed.

No, You do not need a windage tray, but for $39.95 they will save you fuel, make your engine rev faster and higher as well as reducing wear. Scrapers are nice but somewhat less important for street use.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 09-05-2003, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Check e-bay for a good oil pan. Armando & Aviaid are the best but sell for $600 with the pickup and windage tray. Canton are good as are Moroso and Milodan.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 09-05-2003, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, the Canton & Aviaid are expensive but good quality. I've checked into Milodon & Moroso. They don't seem, to have a that will not be high enough for ground clearance. Still looking on ebay.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default FE Oil Pan

Kevin,
Saw this thread and had to butt-in.

How much is your engine worth? Do you know how much it will cost to repair a spun rod bearing, or broken rod? All the time and heartache?

One of the FE's biggest weaknesses is the oiling system. Upon strong acceleration, the front sump design cannot control the oil surge to the rear of the pan, often uncovering the pick-up tube momentarily. Now, combine this weakness with a Cobra chassis and the strong cornering abilities and high "G" loads a Cobra can generate, even on the street, and you have a "recipe for disaster" (Ominous tone here).

George and Keith will agree, a good oil pan is CHEAP insurance on any FE. I like and use both the Aviaid's and Canton's. I personally won't use the Milidon due to their very restrictive pick-up design that limits oil to the engine-their pans are fine.

So, in your case, the Canton would seem the best bargain. And for a Cobra, I REALLY recommend the road race"T" pan #15-820, with the full trap door baffling vs. the std #15-810 large capacity "T" pan. I always hear "I'm not going to drive it all that hard, I'm not going to need the race pan." You're driving a Cobra for crying out loud. Things change. You may really like that awsome driving experince and start getting a little frisky. Someone else may drive it, and they may not be so gentle as you. We sell the 15-820 pan with pick-up to our customers for $325, plus the good $90 windage tray, that's $415 worth of engine insurance. Pretty reasonable in the long run. Plus, it looks cool. There you have it. I'll crawl back to my hole now.
Rob
Old 09-06-2003, 01:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Heritage body, built the rest..460 Toploader..9"
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure if Milodon makes one for a FE, but I'm using a pan made for a jet boat on my 460. You see the motor mounts the same way as in a car, and the pan is low profile 8-9" all the way across, and capacity is 10 quarts. My car is pretty low, and the pan is not the lowest portion underneath. It worked for me.

John
Old 09-06-2003, 01:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Heritage body, built the rest..460 Toploader..9"
Not Ranked     

forgot to add that it has a built in windage tray and is baffeled with all the trap doors ets......
Old 09-08-2003, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to hdheritage97
Not Ranked     
Default FUNFER

I have a 427 TP in my car and I use the Milodon, so far, it's been great, plenty of oil pressure through the pickup, and as for ground clearance, my car is set to original clearance specs and I have NO troubles with clearance. As for the windage tray, I used the one made by Ford Motorsports. It's a copy of the 428 CJ tray and it works very well. My pan is baffled and other than that, it's an oil pan, a pretty simple piece of engineering and I agree, why pay 600 for an oil pan other than to have the fancy Aviad name on it ? Just my opinion on the pan topic....lol.

Cliff
Old 09-09-2003, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, it's not like I'm road racing with high "G" cornering. I may just use mine & find a tray for it. Did you buy a "mounting kit" (bolts ect.) from a Ford dealer ? Also, did you use the stock pump & pick-up ?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to hdheritage97
Not Ranked     
Default Kevin

I used a Mellings HV pump and the pickup that came with the Milodon pan. I bought a nut and stud setup from Ford Motorsports....the studs thread into the block, you put your gasket, windage tray, gasket, and pan up there over the studs, and then the nuts. I love the look of it and it was much easier than trying to get a bolt through all that and then start it. I'm no pan expert but also not a serious racer either and for the money I thought my setup was very adequate for my usage....street play and cruising.

Cliff
Old 09-09-2003, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Which Ford Motorsports dealer did you use ? Who has the most performance parts & accessories for the FE's ?