Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     
Default should I sleeve it?

In my quest for the ever elusive side oiler block I found one, a '65 that has passed all the tests, a except for one thing, it's bored out to .060. I have heard a ton of opinions on bore size, varying from no problem they used to go sixty over and race 'em all day with that bore, to going over thirty puts you into the waterjackets.
I need the voice of expereince on this one, would love to hear from any and all.
Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-09-2004, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Mark,

I know the 428 and 427 blocks are totally different animals but her is my experience from two years ago.

I had a 428 bored .060 that I bought as a completed running engine. I paid $4400.00 for it and I assumed it was built the way it was described to me. First mistake. But the engine always ran hot even in 70 degree weather. If I sat at a stop light more than a minute my temp gauge was pushing 220 and sometime 230 degrees.

In defense of the engine, the builder had used various parts, two different types of pistons (part were skirted some not) and rods, tolerance were not accurate, and the engine had not been balanced. The bottom line was I had been screwed, blued and tattooed.

My advise on the sleves call or send George Anderson an email and he will give you honest and sound advise. He knows his
stuff very well.

http://www.gessford.com/

Good luck,

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-09-2004, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

I would have the block sonic mapped, then decide.

If the walls are too thin you may even want to go with 8 sleeves and bring it back to standard bore.

Nothing wrong with that at all, assuming the person installing the sleeves isn't the same guy who did Clois' old engine.

George (Gessford Machine)s ure does a nice job installing sleeves.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up You might............

consider comparing the cost of sleeving to just buying one of the new Genesis 427 S.O. blocks. Just a thought.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet, saving $ for a Kirkham. Buy a FE from me and I'll be that much closer.
Not Ranked     

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sleeving a block. If you have a good block that has not been blown up or windowed and passes mag test, I would not hesitate to put in 8 sleeves and run the heck out of it. It will be stronger than before and the sleeves will be better material than was in the bores to start with. Be sure to let a good shop install the sleeves..... properly installed sleeves will serve flawlessly, poorly installed sleeves will forever cause problems. Put in BBC 4.25" bore sleeves so you can have good choice of pistons / rings. If you end up not using the block, please let me know.

Thanks for looking and have a blessed day!
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the LORD shall be saved."
Romans 10:13
Old 07-09-2004, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

I'd go with 8. It isn't that much more to do. Plus you can claim it's a standard bore 427 and show us all the piston box to prove it. (don't forget to delete this post and destroy the evidence).

Seriously, I think if done properly sleeves are a good way to go as long as the price is right.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 07-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd do the sonic check first.....I've done 4.275" bores without sleeves....but I would rather put 8 in and make it 4.250 as suggested above....and do it with a thin wall sleeve.
George
my 427 has 8 sleeves since 1994....and I still Red Light...just ask Rick Lake...the sleeves didn't help me race better...but the motor runs fine...have a good shop install and use liquid nitrogen.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lineslinger Mark I would go with the 8 sleeves. As long as the machining is done correct. Thin wall sleeves work great and you can not see them when done. Old Red has beat that red car for he last 8 years at the Run&Gun. The car as not broken once. He does 10-15 runs for the bracket racing, This motor just keeps running, on the other hand I have also seen some of the otherengine builders motor generade all over the place. George's car get 3 days of hard running. Pete Tork who runs that other line of motor also never breaks I could have won last year bracket Pete. I run a motor with 8 sleeves now. The shelby motor has them. Any other questions? Rick Lake
Old 07-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm gonna sleeve it. Thank you for the advice and observations gentlemen
Old 07-10-2004, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lineslinger Mark that's great. you have 2 months to get it done. Run&Gun is on SEPT 21-24 at Gateway. Want to see the car. Get going. If you go with george, tell Him to move his A$$, he hates motors he builds that beat him at this event. , Right George. Rick Lake
Old 07-10-2004, 06:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is the sleeve put into the liquid Nitrogen and then inserted into the bore, allowing it to expand after insertion?(this is starting to sound like something my wife might like to read). Just curious as I haven't seen this process before.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

some picture links...

Bore block for sleeves

after sleeves installed

freezing a sleeve

installing quickly
Old 07-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default liquid nitrogen

Fascinating stuff, thank you George. That process looks like "handle with extreme care" is just a simple pair of leather gloves all you wear when working with that material?

Last edited by lineslinger; 07-11-2004 at 08:26 AM..
Old 07-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Nitrogen is kept in a DOT approved container and we pour it into the size of container that fits the sleeve size...you should see the tall one we have for the 17" long x 8.250 diameter sleeve work we do...it's also good for a quick bag of ice in a plastic zip-lock late in the day...hahahha
Safety glasses too...but all you need is a simple pair of leather gloves....and of course a pair of pliers to pull it from the container when it's ready....the sleeve bubbles until it's down to the zub-zero temp required...when it quits making bubbles...we pull it and install quickly......the sequence is important too...you don't install right down the line etc....everyone has a secret or special way they do this process.....we've been using Nitrogen since about 1993....for every type of sleeve we install except most flanged ones....
G