Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-10-2004, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Edelbrock RPM vs. Victor Intake

I'm wrapping up my 428 build. I have everything except for the intake. I know a Performer RPM would be perfectly adequate for my motor, but I love the way the Victor looks. I know it sounds like a dumb reason to buy an expensive intake. Would I really notice a huge loss in low end grunt using the Victor as opposed to the RPM?

Here are some stats on my 428:
10.25:1 compression
Edelbrock RPM heads from Keith Craft with valves back cut and polished
Cam Research Hydraulic flat tappet: Lift: Int. .540" Exh. .565" Advertised Duration: Int. 291* Exh. 295* Duration@.050": Int. 226* Exh. 234* Lobe Seperation: 109*
1 3/4" headers
Old 10-10-2004, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     

My personal opinion. These cars are too light to notice much of a difference at low rpm. I haven't run a big block but I've used the air gap and now have the Victor and you notice more how the car runs to redline stronger than you do the loss on the low end. A note, the victor intake is for 3500 to 8000 rpm. I don't know the rpm you're planning on running, but I run to the upper 6's and it suites fine.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1670 Stroked Little Windsor - Runs OK.
Send a message via AIM to MidOHasp
Not Ranked     

Jared, that's about a 6000 RPM cam.

My guess is your power should peak around 5800-6000 and you will have about 500 more good usable RPM and then you're whistling dixie.

Honestly, I try to part match as much as possible. I didn't go with my RPM Air-Gap because I was worried about not having enough low-end grunt. 2400lb car, that's not a big issue. But my cam was 1500-6500, my heads were 1500-6500, why not an intake that is designed with the same RPM range in mind? To me, it's just an ideal setup.

With your specs, you motor is going to run out of gas much past 6000... I make peak power at 5800, good power to 6300, and I shift at 6500.

Victors look nicer than RPM's, I'll give you that. But a Victor intake is a full-out 10/10th's race manifold. You have yourself a street motor. The ideal intake for that is the RPM, but either will work.

I just like to match my parts!!
Old 10-11-2004, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1358 Silver/Black stripes 466 2X4
Not Ranked     

With the cam duration your running it would seem your engine would make torque at lower RPM's, where the Performer RPM would be a much better fit.

In this case it's looks like Looks vs Function ??? If you going to buy an expensive manifold go with Dual Quads, at least you could could still have a dual plane manifold for that low end torque
Old 10-11-2004, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Question Possibly different

I.m running the Victor Jnr. Don't know if you have problems with under hood clearance but would watch it if the heights are similiar..

I had to run K+N filter and a K+N top just to get it all under.

There's a few photos on the gallery.

Now I'm not a 100% sure, if the manifolds carry the same height on the small and big blocks?

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 10-11-2004, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think I'll just go with the RPM. I don't like big huge hood scoops, and would probably need one to clear that thing. And, as MidOHasp said, it really is ideally suited to my combination. Thanks for your input, guys.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

jared1970

Hey, you had better update that profile, as you have more than .."a fan at this point"...

The specs on the motor are a really good start to a fun drive.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 10-12-2004, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's partially true. The motor is going in my '70 Cougar. Guess I should have mentioned that. I'll have my Cobra someday....
Old 10-13-2004, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Victor 427 Intake

Hi Jared,
As mentioned before, I would stick with the RPM intake on your configuration. The Victor is designed for 4-8000 RPM. I use one on my 67 Drag car and it works great, but I am running a roller cam with fully ported iron heads that flow 320 cfm, so we use the potential of the manifold. The manifold will fit under the hood of a Cougar, but you would have to use a drop base air cleaner.
The RPM will do fine, but make sure you port match it in the proper fashion. FE intake ports are really part of the intake too, so a good turn radius is very benefical.
Good Luck, Tom Lucas
FE Specialties Your West coast FE source. We build FEs with todays technology, not circa 1970. We can supply you with any type of engine and drive train parts. From mild to wild. We engineer engines, not just throw parts at them. I currently am campaigning a 67 coupe that has C4AE-G iron heads, full interior, 3300 lbs. 10.51 @ 130.5mph. 665 HP(revised) with 11.6 to 1 comp. single 4 barrel.
Thanks Much. Tom
Old 10-14-2004, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary / FE
Not Ranked     

I have ran both intakes on the Dyno back to back. I cannot give you a direct answer as my combination of parts is quite different than yours and each combination must be viewed on it's own merits. But suffice to say the Victor is designed to produce it's usable power at a much higher RPM than your cam and I assume these heads can use.

Let me illustrate using my own combination. 450 CID FE. Heads flowing 310 @ .650 Intake & 220 @ .700 exhaust. Roller Cam with 254 I & 260 E with 110 LDA and installed 2 degrees advanced. Static Compression of 11.89:1 with a Cold Crank of 205lbs. Engine comes on @ 3000 & signs off @ 6200. Moves 1042 CFM @ 6200 & has volumetric efficiency of 108%. The Victor out HP & tq the RPM beginning @ 4100 RPM. Plus my Victor has the runners extended into the plenum to increase torque and therefore would be even more high RPM oriented if left stock.
So given the CID size and air movement my engine can support the Victor.

Respectfully your combination will not take advantage of the Victor and will loose power across it usable cam size and range. With 428 CID and 226 intake duration with 109 lobe center your cam will make great tq and limit HP to 5200 RPM and below. Plus lifting into the .500 range will not be enough ( given normal
Edelbrock FE head flow numbers) to support the Victor. The engine will be sluggish and flat. The RPM will give you great intake velocity and thus better cylinder filling ability over the RPM range of the cam.

Just my thoughts. Good luck on your build.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Performer RPM

jared,
feguy is building a 427fe side oiler for my new Cobra right now. We had this conversation a short time ago. We are going with a 'Performance RPM'. I will let you know how it 'goes'!

jdog

P.S.
I love you sandwiches!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: