Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-28-2007, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default Need some good gasket advise...

Tonight I plan on pulling my heads for inspection and to replace my head gaskets and then I will replace all my lower end bearings this weekend. I am not as happy with Fel-Pro gaskets as I once was, has their quality changed? Is there a better brand out there that would be better suited for our application? What about Victor?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-28-2007, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Clois: Originally I used McCords High performance pan gasket, it uses a high quality cork (very firm) and has round metal washer type inserts at each of the stud holes to prevent the gasket from being compressed to tightly (GOOD). Recently Victor Renz made available (Small Block) a one piece silicone rubber gasket with the same type inserts. Just tighten the Jet nuts down tight and forget it.

Head gaskets: I have always used Fel Pro's High Performance line. There may be some newer design head gaskets that are of a better material. I haven't had to remove my heads for several years.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 02-28-2007, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Clois, I have used ROL head gaskets on two engines....I love them and had never had any problems out of them. As for pan gaskets, it's usually either Felpro or Mr. Gasket.

If you decide to use ROL gaskets, be aware that they are a smaller bore: 4.250 as opposed to Felpro's 4.400".
Old 02-28-2007, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

So, Brent does that mean you have to trim them?

"Let's roll"

Old 02-28-2007, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I haven't had to yet, but my last build was a 428, so I had plenty of room to spare. I accounted for the lower cc's in my compression ratio calculations.

I just saw you're working with a 427. I don't know if this gasket would work for that large of a bore. If you're .020" over, you'd be right there. I don't know how safe that would be.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually, Brent I am bored .017 over so those might just work.

"Let's roll"

Old 02-28-2007, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about ROL...
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2007, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You may want to check out www.remflex.com They make an excellent gasket and guarantee them 100% against anything -- I just got a set of exhaust gaskets for my 428. Actually I think they specialize in exhaust gaskets. But look them up and see -- they guarantee no leaks --
Mike
Old 02-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

I always use Victor Renz for the intake! and Felpro for the rest.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will second the Victor Renz for the intake. Still not sure about the Fel-Pro anymore. May be going to a custom made performance head gasket.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4771-CF. 1966 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I have the FelPro 1020 gasket still in their package. Haven't installed my heads yet. I have a .015 oversize bore 427 S/O which puts me at 4.245". I haven't heard of ROL? Are they a orderable through their site or available at Summit or maybe an auto parts store?

When I removed my old heads with 3000 miles using the FelPro 1020 I noticed the head gasket on one side didn't seem to seat well. One head you could see the blue stuff had kinda melted to the block and head. The other head, which cracked, the same blue stuff didn't melt to the head or block. This same head leaked water all down the side of the block. The crack was on the ouside, between the exhaust ports, of the head which I assume was what leaked on my block. Maybe the gasket was leaking also?

Mike
Old 03-01-2007, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You kinda have to look around for them. There's always a set on Ebay and you can Google to get some other suppliers.

Cometic is another good choice for head gaskets. Come in a myriad of different thicknesses....although they're quite expensive.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Cometics are the best
Old 03-01-2007, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Morris,

I just ordered a set of Cometics from Ernie in Dallas. Should be here Friday.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 03-06-2007, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Stop beating on the car??

Clois Harlan If you stop beating on that car, the motor would not need a overhaul every 5 months . You have way too much free time. Maybe a Gessford motor is in the future. Low maintainance, low breakage, tough as any other motor, and runs like a Timex. ONLY KIDDING CLOIS. Your buddy called from N.Y. last week. going to drop the rear off at Kit Car show in Carlisle in May. Have you looked in to a drysump system? I think this is the way some of us need to go. I hate to mount the tank in the trunk. I like the custom one they did for the orginial one in the r/s front fender. The wieght being high in the car is the only thing. 10-12 quarts of oil at 8lbs a gallon, another 25 lbs, with the motor running 15 lbs not including the tank wieght. Caught you later. Kristen from Texas said she is beginning a couple more cars for the next R&G. I hope to make it, It is the 20th R&G, Hope they make a real nice shirt for this year. 20 years and still running, great bunch of people that started it and great bunch that have kept it going. The future looks bright. Rick L
Old 03-06-2007, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dropped my arruminum heads off yesterday for a little check up and clean up. Everything looks good. Two years ago I didn't do the preventative maintenance I should have and I paid a big price (bought a new engine) so I am being pro-active. Lesson Learned!

Rick I hope you can make it this year to Run and Gun it should be the best one ever. Looks like the guys with the Penske Grand AM Vettes are going to be here this year. Competition and a chance to see a little more variety of Replica's. Now we need an Ultima, Chaparrel, Lola, Johns Dragon and a Viking or two!

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 03-07-2007, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Watch out for the Dragons

Clois John is working on a new dragon and hopes to have it ready for the show in Carlisle. I think he is coming to R&G it is too early at this time. Clois 1 side note I like Jeff Swartz and the car he has. I know he drives it everywhere on street tires, but it doesn't belong in street class. It's like taken a knife to a gun fight. He has run in a couple different challenges and is not a novice either. His car is 2,000 lbs, 500 to 800 lbs lighter. CD on his car is great, it's not a barn door in the wind. Reed of Superpreformance tryed to a couple of years ago and was moved up in class from street to perpared. This is going to be something you guys will need to look at. James Yale Has a great car, did well and said he is either building a car for prepared or moving up a class with the Coupe. He is a classy guy. Perpared is alot harder group than street. The times have shownover the last couple of years you can thrown a napkin around the BB class. We all run within 2 seconds of each other on real street tires. A min 220 wear rating for street class is needed. Keeps the flied level. 3 of us ran pilots on our cars last year. I broke my times don't mean anything. This is something to look at. Rick L.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: