Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 01:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

All so confusing, a Holley 950 HP is really not a 950 and so on. So, is a Quick Fuel 950 really a 950? Either way, I guess Keith probably forgets in a day more than I'll ever know. He says a Quick fuel 950 is what I need, I'm thinking I'd be a fool not to follow what he says. No? Barry seems really up on things too, and the Quick Fuel 950 seems to play into his "go big" theory too.

While it's obviously not a huge consideration, I just wish the QF carbs weren't so darn ugly. Red? What the heck were they thinking?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Red blends well with the gas you leak or spill on it.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-22-2008, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Mustang 427 CO (489 cid), TKO-600
Send a message via AIM to My427stang
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
All so confusing, a Holley 950 HP is really not a 950 and so on. So, is a Quick Fuel 950 really a 950? Either way, I guess Keith probably forgets in a day more than I'll ever know. He says a Quick fuel 950 is what I need, I'm thinking I'd be a fool not to follow what he says. No? Barry seems really up on things too, and the Quick Fuel 950 seems to play into his "go big" theory too.

While it's obviously not a huge consideration, I just wish the QF carbs weren't so darn ugly. Red? What the heck were they thinking?
Dimensionally, all the 950's are the same, QFT is a very good carb though, I havent run one, but I know people who have. Their metering is very good, just make sure you buy one thats made for the intended use. (i.e. buy a street carb if its mostly street, drag if its going to be a drag racer)

Its really not that complicated. Racers were taking a 750 and putting an 850 base on it. It wasnt a tough operation, blend the bottom of the venturis to the larger base and machine a small groove for the idle/transition feed. Then most racers cut the choke tower off to boot

Holley and the rest of the companies started packaging that for them, a little marketing math and then adding a double downleg booster, sometimes smoothed throttle shafts and the HP (or Proform too) shaped carb entry, they called it a 950 "adding up all the improvements"

The 1000's are the same creature, just started with an 850. Throttle shafts are worked, HP body, double downleg boosters and they call it a 1000.

However, a 950="worked 750" and a 1000="worked 850"

You will be fine with the 950, and some guys claim they like it better for the speed the air goes by the boosters, plus, the reality is you wont know the difference anyway if you never run a 1000+. I sure wouldnt go any less carb that that though.

If it were me, because of the dual plane intake, I'd buy the street tuned QFT 1050, but like I said the 950 will run fine, its just a little shy.
08 F-250 6.4 PSD 4x4 SB pulling a 26 ft Mirage for the toys
Old 03-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

My427stang,
Is this the one you are talking about?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 03-22-2008, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

EDITED AFTER ANTHONY's POST

Thats the one, I originally transposed the columns on in my book and though it was a different style.

750 sized venturi and 850 sized plate.

Its a good carb, but as I said earlier, I think QFT has Holley beat in the main circuit metering. They seem to be a little less fussy

I run an HP series 1000+ though and it does well

Last edited by My427stang; 03-22-2008 at 10:55 AM..
Old 03-22-2008, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-tech cobra View Post
My427stang,
Is this the one you are talking about?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I think that's the one. Has 1 3/8 venturi (same as 750), and 1 3/4 base plate (same as 850).

http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...%20Listing.pdf
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 03-22-2008, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Anthony, I went and fixed my post. I misread the columns in my chart, you are correct, thats the standard style 950.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWCobra View Post
As a rule of thumb, you can take the cubic inches of the engine times the maximum rpm and divide it by 3456 to give you an approx cfm.
I agree with this formula, however, I subtract 10% for the "$hit my pants factor" which usually keeps me from seeing the top end very often
Old 06-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Ditto on the Proform 950 HP.....runs great out of the box, has lots of extras only found in carbs costing twice as much. Double pumper, Billet base plate and metering blocks, 4 corner idle. I know it works well because I tested it with the Innovative Wide Band set up. Holds correct AFR from off-idle through WOT.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Chevy 350
Not Ranked     

i read the posts on the four card setup. my newly aquired Cobra has the weber four carb setup. the problem is i am the only one i know of that has this in the cobra club that i belong to.

i am having a problem with a flat spot between 1500 and 2000 rpm. i think it is the jets and the emalsion tubes on the 40 DCOE webers that i have on. is there any advice on which i should use? the engine is a 350 chevy.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Yep Holley 4150 HP is the easiest way to feed an FE. I have an older Davinci 950 which is basically the HP series.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Taylor View Post
i read the posts on the four card setup. my newly aquired Cobra has the weber four carb setup. the problem is i am the only one i know of that has this in the cobra club that i belong to.

i am having a problem with a flat spot between 1500 and 2000 rpm. i think it is the jets and the emalsion tubes on the 40 DCOE webers that i have on. is there any advice on which i should use? the engine is a 350 chevy.
Nicholas,

You may get an answer to your problem if you start a new thread, rather than posting the same question for your DCOEs within other unrelated carb threads.

Posts that go off-topic are annoying and get little response from others.

A mate of mine runs a QFT 750 on a 355, happy as a pig in .....

Gold Certified Holden Technician