Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

For better Webers versus Dynatek numbers, as they relate to Dean Lampe's RCR40, I started this thread some time ago.

Dynatek & Dean Lampe's RCR 40 in Kit Car Mag...again

I'm willing to bet that Dean had both his Weber and Dynatek setup operating at or near peak efficiency. The winner was Dynatek. The only negative is cost from what I can see.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

I no expert but the Dynatek system will flow 3000cfm and with EFI and a wideband O2 sensor you can infinately adjust the A/F for optimum efficiency the whole rpm range. How could you possible do that with a carb?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I agree. With EFI supporting the cfm and other parameters, with the computer adjusting on the fly, how can a carb. do the same ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 01-20-2009 at 01:11 PM..
Old 01-20-2009, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

[quote=cobrarkc;. How could you possible do that with a carb?[/QUOTE]

Easy-get a big enough carb.For example:Two Dominators would fill that bill.And what good does a 3K flow capacity do for you if you don't have the intake,cam,heads or exhaust system to utilize it?

Rich-please read what i typed.I said there ARE other benifits to FI.Such as more precise A/F metering.That does not increase peak numbers.

Last edited by Cobrabill; 01-20-2009 at 03:14 PM..
Old 01-20-2009, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=Great Asp1) Do you know what a T-bone looks like?

2)When someone says that let me know.

3)Gee thanks. I guess a Volkswagon would have been more practical. I'll have to re-think this whole Cobra thing E[/QUOTE]

1)Sure.Another non-sequitur would be nice
2)You did.But not in so many words.
3)Don't get all worked up fer christ sakes.If WE were the pratical type,this board would be a ghost town.And the last time i looked,the FI/carb debate wasn't Cobra specific.

My whole point is that for people chasing the almighty HP,FI isn't the answer.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
I agree. With EFI supporting the cfm and other parameters, with the computer adjusting on the fly, how can a carb. do the same ?
Keven,does that computer change how much air will fit thru the throttle blades,intake runner or past the valve?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post
Injection is injection.I don't care who's it is.Peak HP is determined by how efficient a air pump the engine is.Fuel delivery system is ALMOST irrelevant.
You can flow a bunch more air down a pipe, at a given delta pressure, than you can air with 8% gasoline mixed with it. Fuel laden air does not flow well in a manifold. So at least in theory, an engine can pump much more air if you don't mix the fuel into the air right at the begining, like a carb or throttle body injection does. Ideally the fuel would go in via direct injection into the cylinder after the intake valve was closed.

By its very nature a carb has to create a low pressure zone to suck the fuel through the jets, creating a flow restriction. EFI does not have this problem.

Now the factory EFI stuff was designed for good emissions and low end torque. On Hp it does not compete with a carb. Most of the aftermarket stuff is patterned off the factory systems and still trying to meet emissions. It would not surprise me at all if an aftermarket EFI system, that was design from the ground up to make power and not care about emissions, made more power than a carb.

Last edited by olddog; 01-20-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley, 427ci 500hp
Not Ranked     

For me it was an easy choice, EFI was the way to go with a change in altitude of about 5000 ft. on my normal drives.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

A Hampton Blower was the choice for me. Plenty of flow!!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 01-20-2009, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
1)You can flow a bunch more air down a pipe, at a given delta pressure, than you can air with 8% gasoline mixed with it. Fuel laden air does not flow well in a manifold. So at least in theory, an engine can pump much more air if you don't mix the fuel into the air right at the begining, like a carb or throttle body injection does. Ideally the fuel would go in via direct injection into the cylinder after the intake valve was closed.

2)By its very nature a carb has to create a low pressure zone to suck the fuel through the jets, creating a flow restriction. EFI does not have this problem.

3)Now the factory EFI stuff was designed for good emissions and low end torque. 4)On Hp it does not compete with a carb. 5)Most of the aftermarket stuff is patterned off the factory systems and still trying to meet emissions. 6)It would not surprise me at all if an aftermarket EFI system, that was design from the ground up to make power and not care about emissions, made more power than a carb.
1)That's why manifold designs(wet vs dry) are different.The amount of air an engine can pump IRRELEVANT to the fuel system.
2)And yet,it(the carb) still makes as much(or more) HP as FI.Go figure
3)Factory EFI was designed for emissions-PERIOD.
4)Yes-it does.Look at all the Viper,Vettes & such.But we aren't talking about factory-are we?
5)False
6)Too ridiculous to respond to.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
For me it was an easy choice, EFI was the way to go with a change in altitude of about 5000 ft. on my normal drives.
I was going to mention "your" situation but i thought it would be a digression of sorts.But that is one advantage of the "correct" FI system.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Bill,

1) Do you know what a T-bone looks like? "Sure.Another non-sequitur would be nice" Do I have to tell you how to look?

2)When someone says that let me know. "You did.But not in so many words." Thanks clearing that up, you are right, I'm sure

3)Gee thanks. I guess a Volkswagon would have been more practical. I'll have to re-think this whole Cobra thing E "Don't get all worked up fer christ sakes.If WE were the pratical type,this board would be a ghost town.And the last time i looked,the FI/carb debate wasn't Cobra specific." I didn't think it was a big leap to the statement I made based on your comments.

E
Old 01-20-2009, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill I likely agree with you on more things than I would disagree.

I take it that your point of view is that if the air fuel ratio is 12.5:1, it makes absolutely no differance how it got there. The fuel system is irrelevant. All that matters is how good an air pump is the engine. Not trying to put words in your mouth, but that is my interpretation of what you said.

If you could conveniently totally seperate AFR and flow, I would absolutely agree. However the fuel delivery can affect the air flow into the pump (engine). Look at a dual plane verses a signle plane intake or what a carb spacer can do to flow. Now is it so hard to fathem that where the fuel is introduced could impact how much air can flow into the engine?

Last I was on Edelbrocks web site they were advertising several of their engines with both carb and EFI, and they claimed the EFI version would make more Hp. Ridiculous I guess.

Edit: I just checked Edelbrocks site and it no longer lists different Hp for carb verses EFI. Don't know what to make of that.

Edit 2: Well it depends on how you get there. If you look at the chevy 555 cid Pat Musi engine 650 hp is the carb version and 675 hp is the EFI version. Same cam and heads. Different induction systems. EFI torque looks to be higher both low and high rpms. Both engines peak 650 lb-ft @4500 rpm.

Last edited by olddog; 01-20-2009 at 06:18 PM..
Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I don't wanna highjack the thread, but how would the Dynatek EFI improve a medium HP engine like mine (428 10:1 CR, iron heads, maybe 400/425 HP). I like the idea of improved torque and HP, but at 5G's, it ain't cheap. Any thoughts?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have run the same 505 inch, 676 horsepower FE engine on a dyno with both multiport EFI and a carb. Documented in Hot Rod magazine in 2004.

Same intake - a converted Dove single four barrel. We never touched a thing on the package - unbolted the throttle body and bolted on a 950HP, unplugged the injector wiring from the harness and hooked up fuel to the carb.

Based purely on airflow the EFI throttle body should have won. It didn't. A statistical dead heat - but the carb had single digit higher peaks on both torque and horsepower.

Testing done at Wheel to Wheel Powertrain - at the time one of the foremost EFI tuning facilities in the country. The EFI is better at almost every non-WOT and transient driving parameter - but peak power is not one of them.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP

Last edited by Barry_R; 01-20-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
I don't wanna highjack the thread, but how would the Dynatek EFI improve a medium HP engine like mine (428 10:1 CR, iron heads, maybe 400/425 HP). I like the idea of improved torque and HP, but at 5G's, it ain't cheap. Any thoughts?
Rather than us telling you how, call the guys at DynaTek and ask them. They gave me hard dyno numbers to back up their claims. I think the big incease would be in torque.

Your right, it's not cheap.

I have not taken delivery of my car (yet), so I can not speak of how well it drives. But I will be posting late Friday night on my build thread as I am going to Plano to see the chassis dyno, and drive the car.

E
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
Based purely on airflow the EFI throttle body should have won. It didn't. A statistical dead heat - but the carb had single digit higher peaks on both torque and horsepower.
Very Interesting. Thanks Barry

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 01-20-2009, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
I have run the same 505 inch, 676 horsepower FE engine on a dyno with both multiport EFI and a carb. Documented in Hot Rod magazine in 2004.

Same intake - a converted Dove single four barrel. We never touched a thing on the package - unbolted the throttle body and bolted on a 950HP, unplugged the injector wiring from the harness and hooked up fuel to the carb.

Testing done at Wheel to Wheel Powertrain - at the time one of the foremost EFI tuning facilities in the country. The EFI is better at almost every non-WOT and transient driving parameter - but peak power is not one of them.
Barry - I'm not trying to argue the point, but would like to learn from your extreamily interesting (to me) test. Was the intake manifold dual plane or single plane? Was there a measure on the AFR to see if that could explain the difference? Was the timing exactly the same?

I have a MassFlow on a 347 stroker, which uses an Edel Vic Jr carb intake with EFI bungs welded into the ports. MassFlow claims that it will only work on a single plane intake, and that with no fuel in the manifold that the typical poor low end torque does not happen. Maybe, but it seems to me that an intake designed for a wet air stream would not work as well as one designed to run dry from the get go.

Also the webber look alike with individual throttle plates that close to the head ports is a whole different ball game.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Single plane 4150 flange

A/F was monitored in both cases via the O2 sensors in the exhaust.

Timing was identical - the FAST system was still plugged in and running ignition and some data could still be retrieved to back up the dyno - obviously not fuel.

The Weber deal would indeed be different. Most if not all carbed Weber deals suffer from inadequate airflow - no shared volume from the non-existant plenum. Ford's abbreviated Boss 302 IR effort used two Dominators. Anything that adds airflow in an IR package will show a gain - but the gain is because of the additional air and not the management system.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 01-21-2009, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Ok I am a little confused here. If carbs are so good why aren't they using them in Top Fuel and Formula 1?