Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dual quads finished, sorta happy

First off... kudos to BarryR and Quickfuel for working through the all the "tweaking" problems. These are Barry's new custom TrickFuel 750s that come built and setup for stroked FEs (around 482" or there about).

I ran the car on the chassis dyno yesterday and was a little disappointed in the numbers but hey, nothing that a 300 shot progressive fogger system won't cure Seriously, I'm thinking about it..

The engine's a typical 600hp Pond based 482 that Keith builds with a hydraulic roller cam. The neat thing about it is that while having a wide-band AFR setup hooked up to an inside mounted welded bung it maintains between 12.8 to 13.0 AFR during all part throttle and cruise... perfect! On the rollers it made between 12.5 to 12.8 AFR .. amazing and perfect. This is as they came out of the box from QuickFuel. It looks like Barry has these nailed! If you're looking for dual quads on your stroked FE I heartily recommend these..

Dave

Old 04-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Looks great.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking That's some more to polish, where the choke??

undy Almost 600HP at the crank and you are CRYING Here's a tissue. Gald the problem worked out. Hear the army has some JATO rockets you can mount in the trunk for straight line acceleration. You need a vacation with warm water and cool drinks on the beach. Forget the NOS. You keep going and you will be flying with the angels. 140 mph and you can have liftoff. Rick L. Ps get a breather mask and stop sniffing the R-134 freon.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
undy Almost 600HP at the crank and you are CRYING Here's a tissue. Gald the problem worked out. Hear the army has some JATO rockets you can mount in the trunk for straight line acceleration. You need a vacation with warm water and cool drinks on the beach. Forget the NOS. You keep going and you will be flying with the angels. 140 mph and you can have liftoff. Rick L. Ps get a breather mask and stop sniffing the R-134 freon.
hmmmmm.... lift off at 140?????? I'll guess I'll need to target that number as my trap speed. Maybe just a 200 shot then??

BTW ..if you figure a 22% parasitic loss crank HP comes in a just over 600. The posted numbers are SAE corrected.

Last edited by undy; 04-11-2009 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: adding some more BS...
Old 04-11-2009, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Dave, with your upgraded exhaust, I'd venture to say that the horsepower loss isn't that much.

I would say for the guys running the normal restrictive glass pack mufflers, that 22% is a good estimate.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Brent

exhaust isn't used as a criteria for DRIVE LINE loss----the exhaust factor is because of the exhaust and is the same whether engine dyno or chassis dyno
Old 04-11-2009, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's true that the drive train loss equation does not allow for exhaust, except that engine manufacturers typically use an "optimal", equal length header with minimal restriction mufflers while doing their dyno testing (not to mention electric water pumps, no alternator etc) and making their horsepower claims. The exhaust loss only helps to explain the excessive delta between fwhp and rwhp.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

If I was to dyno an engine for someone I would use the exhaust headers/system that was to be run on the car------
For research about parts combinations several combinations of exhaust would be used looking for the best combination, same as for intakes and carbs, rocker ratios, etc

The drive line lost on a chassis dyno is just that, drive line !!
Old 04-11-2009, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Jerry, put an engine on an engine dyno with good headers and exhaust, and then dyno it again with a set of Cobra headers and sidepipes. No, it's not driveline loss, but I see parasitic loss as anything that takes horsepower to use it.

If you take a fresh engine and put it in a car, then put it on a chassis dyno....what's going to be different? Driveline loss and full exhaust loss.

I agree with you 100%....I try to dyno engines with the headers that will be used on the car. Unfortunately, the way that dynos are laid out, a customer can't just run in with a set of mufflers and tailpipes and say that he/she wants it exactly how it will be in the car.

However, put a Cobra on a chassis dyno with a set of Cobra headers/sidepipes. I guarantee that they'll be more loss than if you were running normal full length headers and good mufflers. I would say that there would be a 4-6% difference. That's the 22% that I was referring to.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 427cobra stroked 427fe
Not Ranked     

If you adjust the linkage on that second carb. to come in simultaniosly you will be pleasantly suprised.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My thanks go to David for taking the time and effort on getting the carbs sorted out and tested. He has been pretty much the "ideal customer" on these - insisting on getting a quality product and then offerring solid and documented feedback on how they performed at every step.

The secondary carb on this setup can be readily adapted to alternate linkage systems - note that the link pins are removeable and servicable.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 04-13-2009, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Exhaust systems on a dyno

Jerry Clayton If you are running a motor on a dyno, 80% of the time it is long tube headers and a either an extension on the collector in the 20"-36" range for getting the best power from that motor. Most dyno cells I have seen don't have enough room to install a set of cobra side pipes. All cobra side pipe are different inside the muffler area. I have 2 sets, one for street with a 2 1/4" outlet before the turn out. They are quiet and kill the HP in my car. I also have a race set with a 3" inlet and outlet inside the muffler housing and there is a big differents. The honest way to check any exhaust system is with a back pressure gauge. WOT throttle at 500 rpms past your max HP numbers. Looking for 1.5 - 2.5 psi buildup for the best exhaust. The cobra is also limited with having a short transition between collector and side muffler. This helps HP but IMO hurts torque. I agree with you drive train loss and exhaust loss to some degree but there are some variables with testing on a engine dyno and chassic dyno. Biggest is the air in the shop. Have seen a 15 HP change between good and crappy air alone. We didnot take into account for wheel slippage on the rollers. New rollers on a dyno perfect readings, worn out dyno wheels and you get silly readings. Had this happen to me for not being able to get the rearend of the car tight enough on the roller to not slip under load. I smoked out a dyno chassic cell with this problem. Rick L.