Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Engine Builders-favorite oil pan sealing tips?

I'm about to R&R the Canton pan and windage tray on my Sideoiler for the umpteenth time to stop leaking/seeping at rear gasket area. The block plugs at the rear bulkhead and rear main are not leaking. I've used everything by FelPro, Mr Gasket, Detroit Gasket and am about to try Milodon 40450's. RightStuff, Wrongstuff, HiTack, Lowtack and everything in between has been used without success. I sandwich the tray with a gasket on each side, studs and nuts attach the pan unit. Made steel load-spreading bars for both sides and front/rear. I've also tried no sealant, dry installation. No help. Am considering axle grease on the mating surfaces which works perfectly on the valve covers.
I've done all the easy things like ensuring flat surfaces on the pan and tray, no squishy applications of silicone and I do not overtighten.
Please advise how you send dry motors out the door which don't come back. Name the brands of gaskets and sealants you use. All advice greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Fel-pro and don't overtighten, also dab a bit of silicon where the block breaks...the rear main and also lower part of timing cover. This worked for me after trials and errors....

And, retighten after a few hours........

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 S/O View Post
Fel-pro and don't overtighten, also dab a bit of silicon .......
A dab?!? How 'bout two gaskets, a windage tray between them, and black RTV everywhere....

Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Motorcraft gray silicone for use with 6.5-7.3 diesel engines - comes from the Ford dealer in a caulk tube. Clean all surfaces with abrake Cleaner or better yet with thinner. Put the silicone on both sides of the gaskets with your finger - as thin as a coat of paint - you don't want much. I glue the gaskets to the windage tray. A dab at the joints. Assemble with bolts that have the serrated underhead - available from ARP or Mr. Gasket - not studs - studs will loosen 'cuz you can't put enough clamp load on them to keep them tight.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 05-04-2009, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Barry R has it right

ERA Chas Chas I do almost that same as Barry R. with sealing a motor. I only use the gray sealer from either Ford or GM. The tube is not cheap. They stole this from Honda years ago. First off are you 100% sure that the surfaces are flat?? It sound like you have had this pan on and off a couple of times. Also the fact that you where trying to improve the sealing of the gasket. I do have a question about your motor, are you running breathers or PVC valve? If you keep getting leaks, it could be from too much pressure in the motor. Anything short of the gray RTV will leak. I run the same setup as you or the oil pan and windage tray. I use a thin bead around the oil pan in the middle and around each bolt hole I use Hi-Tac for the gasket to the windage tray on both sides. This needs time to get tacky and hold to the tray. After 10-15 minutes I glue the other gasket on on the windage tray and let set. Make sure there is NO oil drops coming off the motor or coming down the skirt of the block. A thin bead of RTV around the top gasket between the block and windage tray. You want to give the RTV about 2-3 minutes to skin before installing the whole thing. If your pick up for the oil pump is a problem, Trim the windage tray to clear. I had to reweld mine with the stroker kit in the bottom end of the motor. The rod bolt where hitting the edge of the tray. You need 2 people to do this right. Install 2 front bolts or nuts, 2 rear nuts or bolts, then work your way either way to the front or the back until all bolts or nuts are finger tight with the gasket maken contact with the block. Go 2 times around tightening from one side to the other. to 10 inch pounds. Then make the final torque to spec. Give the motor 24 HOURS to fully CURE the RTV. Fill with oil and road test. I and used this way for 14 years. The only problem I get is a small rear main seal leak some times. This is due to I over fill the motor for racing. Rick L. PS EVERY SURFACE MUST BE CLEANER THAN AN OPERATING TABLE OR YOU WILL HAVE LEAKS.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Permatex "The Right Stuff". A little pricey but well worth it.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys,
All your tips greatly appreciated. I have cleaned all the surfaces meticulously today. All of your suggestions and materials have been tried in the recent past except Barry's. Rick has also used the Motorcraft sealant as Barry recommends.
You all have had success with your methods so I've got to go back and start from square one again. I'm missing something.
Will report as results develop. Don't stop sending advice and a big thanks to you all.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Are you sure that you do not have a small weep hole(crack) somewhere close to the pan? Hope not.

Terry
Old 05-04-2009, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No Terry, I'm not sure. But I have been advised about that and examined the block and crankcase as carefully as one can while it's in the car.
Of course, a pressure test of the block is the only sure way to tell but I can't accomplish that just now.
Thanks for a heads-up idea.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Finally getting somewhere.
Part I: At this stage, the motor has been sitting with no oil pan on for 2 days.
This is the driver side lower corner of the crankcase. Picture's not great because that's the crank counterweight in the way. You're seeing the oil pressure relief spring. You can see a path of oil from the 'window' of the spring boss which runs onto the pan rail. From there it travels slightly across the entire rear of the block pan rail. Like a dope, I cleaned that area before I took this snap.
There is no oil above or around the spring boss on the block inner wall. Clearly the oil originates from the spring boss. There are no other internal drips including the rear main area. So I really feel this is the origin of the leak.
Part II:Careful cleaning of the windage tray and Canton pan has revealed that their mating surfaces had waves and warps and were not totally flat. The rear corners were actually bent away from the block pan rail. After cleaning the gasket residue, I spent time with a persuader getting the surfaces flat. The flange on the pan was difficult but now lays perfectly flat on the work table.
My big conclusion is that oil from the relief spring seeped down the block wall and when it got to the pan rail, the uneven mating surface of the pan let it leak past. I know-gaskets are supposed to prevent that. I just don't know why they didn't.
THE BIG QUESTION: Guys, is it normal for oil to trickle from the relief spring when the motor hasn't run in 4 months? I want to stress-the engine runs perfectly and oil pressure is generous at all engine speeds.
Thanks to all those who got involved in this soap opera and would beg your patience for a few more thoughts from you all.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Normal - that is a place where all the oil from the block will eventually drain while sitting - its a bypass right? The pan does need to be flat - especially when sandwiching a windage tray and two gaskets - so you have your problem identified.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 05-05-2009, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Old 05-19-2009, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Chas, did you get this back together yet? Has it stopped leaking?

Jim
Old 05-19-2009, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

El,
Yes I did. I used Barry's Motorcraft silicone recommendation and the Milodon gaskets. The gaskets are very high quality and they're even packaged flat and whole-not folded in half like the FailPros. They have a nice rigid feel and composition.
So far, so good. I ran it lightly at first and and checked the studs and serrated nuts the next day cold. They all needed a quarter turn for snug. The area near the pressure relief valve is bone dry as is the face of the block plate.
Ran the a$$ off it today so will check the floor tomorrow. If any drops you will probably hear my scream in Houston...
PS- The new clutch disc is working really nicely but I can only get reverse about half the time. Don't know why. I set the air gap and adjusted the fork rod about a million times. I'm getting closer.
Thanks for asking.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Ran the a$$ off it today so will check the floor tomorrow. If any drops you will probably hear my scream in Houston...
Mine was seeping because of a conflict between the Armondo pan and rear main bolts. I just modified the bolt heads a bit further and am about to button it back up using all the preferred methods/parts/special sauces above. I won't jinx us, but if there is screaming from either of us we need to find a watering hole to commiserate; I am in Houston too.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

El,
I am in LONG ISLAND. You, in Houston, would hear my scream!
Update: The re-inspection has proven it dry. No screams. Took it out again and put maybe 100 fairly hard miles on it yesterday, (80 degrees) returned and put it on ramps and still dry and clean after cool down.
I did check the nuts again and found they all needed another maybe 1/8th or less turn each, evenly.
For sure the Motorcraft silicone, Milodons and a flat pan rail works.
Unusual that your Armondo is contacted by the main bolts. Did that happen with your previous pan? Does the Armondo have a flat, billet style rail?
My Canton has the stamped ribs and much less contact area that can flex when torqued than a cast or billet pan rail. That's what I hate about it although it's a good RR pan otherwise. It's the same reason I switched from stamped Pentroof valve covers to the cast aluminum Cobras-perfectly flat and no leaks.
Billet Fabrications makes beautiful aluminum pans with wide, flat billet rails-love 'em but too much $$ and I'm nervous about an aluminum pan 3 1/4" from the ground. There's some scary dings on my steel Canton...
Please post your results here.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
El,I am in LONG ISLAND. You, in Houston, would hear my scream!
Gotcha, I mis-read your post.

Quote:
Unusual that your Armondo is contacted by the main bolts. Did that happen with your previous pan? Does the Armondo have a flat, billet style rail?Please post your results here.
The Armondo rail is built like an OEM pain rail, with the ribs. I haven't called him to ask why the heck it conflicts with the studs, but this is the last time I am R&R'ing and then he's going to get this one back for a chance at a re-do.

I'm putting oil in it today and will run it tonight, so we'll see.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4973
Not Ranked     
Default I'm no expert

But George Anderson is. Here is a tech tip about about the Rear Main Cap Modifications you may require for the windage tray to clear. It is about halfway down the page under the Aviaid pan section. This had to be done to my engine.

http://www.gessford.com/cobraparts/fmisc.htm

Old 05-22-2009, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by damdfw View Post
But George Anderson is. Here is a tech tip about about the Rear Main Cap Modifications you may require for the windage tray to clear.
I had read that previously and asked Armondo about it and he said he had provided for stud and bolt head clearance on his later pans. Apparently not on this one he sent me.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Sounds like time for a little manipulation with a Ball Peen Hammer??? Or shorten the studs & use 12pt nuts which are a little shorter.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 05-22-2009 at 03:59 PM..